Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:55 AM        Maryland Death Fest IV! (Pics, 56K beware)
Yus! This year i actually went. It was fucking awesome! I'm gonna upload my pictures tomorrow, even though most of them are fucking awful. Every band Adept and i saw were fantastic, but Necrophagist, Demilich, Vital Remains, Unholy Grave, and Skinless were exceptional. One major plus is that the venue is usually where scenesters go to hang out and dance to music everyone pretends to like but no one really does, which means that there were a lot of cute girls who pretended to like death metal but totally didn't because they mistakenly chose to come on the one night that the place hosts anything even remotely metal.

iron mitchell is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:09 AM       
i want to see necrophagist.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2006, 06:28 PM       
oh man, wasn't that supposed to be demilich's last show ever too?
Mocker
EverythingWillSuck is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2006, 06:40 PM       
Heh, are you in any of these pictures?

http://www.returntothepit.com/concer...ate=2006-05-28
http://www.returntothepit.com/concer...ate=2006-05-27

I would love to see Disfear and Unholy Grave and such. But yeah, all that goregrind must've got old after a while, I bet.
Lord Felch Demon
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:41 PM       
The bands that we didn't wanna see all actualy played before 6, so we just arrived at 6 on both days. We were pretty fucking tired by the end of the night though, what with 6-7 straight hours of standing and thrashing and all.

On Saturday we arrived at the tail end of Gorgasm's set, which was awesome for us because that was the last of the "never-wanna-see" bands for that day.

Skinless played at 6ish, and if i remember correctly, they had the shortest setup time out of any bands over both days. Everyone in the band looked way younger than they do on their DVD, but they totally destroyed. Before they came out they had some babe in leather booty shorts, fishnets, and a gas mask dragged out from behind the amps by some hessian also, with a gas mask. They fought until about halfway through the set, when they gracefully stumbled away. The band had tons of energy and played Tampon Lollipops and Scum Cookie, among other favorites. They didn't, however, play the title track off of Sacrifice to Survival, which i was hoping for.

^------a shitty shot of the skinless girl talking to some guy already covered in wouldn't-be-hot-if-not-in-bondage-gear girls

Alarum played next, and they were a weird choice to feature at the show, but they were awesome nonetheless. They were a Watchtower/Athiest/Death fusion, but they had a unique style based partially in their australian origin. They covered Piece of Time by Athiest and Flooding of Emotions by Death, both which were excellent and got the crowd pumped.

Butcher ABC played at 8ish, and they were a pretty decent goregrind band from Japan. I don't know much about them outside of that the jams were pretty catchy. They sounded kind of like Exhumed. The gasmasks have microphones taped to them, and they were selling aprons at their merch table.

Machetazo played next, and they were pretty fucking intense, but i couldn't recognize any jams in particular, but i don't think anyone else could either. They were a lot like a mexicanCarcass. before they played their last song, they had half a dozen people come out with bandannas over their faces and hats on, and shot the shit out of everyone with supersoakers full of hawaiian punch. My hair was stiff for the rest of the night.

Anata played after Machetazo, and they would have been awesome if their gear were mixed higher. For whatever reason, their stuff didn't sound like it was as close as it should have been. Also, i have no pictures because we were on the outer edge of the pit towards the back for their set, so we were busy keeping the circle up and getting beer spilled on us.

After Anata, some gaylords left the front, leaving Adept and I room to get up front for Demilich, who were fucking awesome. The best part about them was that for the entirety of their set, no one looked very interested in being at the show. CHalk it up to being drunk, chalk it up to being artists and not musicians, or chalk it up to just plain disinterest, but it didn't make their set any less awesome. They played Raped Embalmed Beauty Sleep last, and the crowd went insane for it. His vocals were obscenely deep, and the three guitarists added a lot of texture to the songs. I particularly like the picture i took where the light's glare looks like a demon talking the singer.

The final band we saw on Saturday was Haemorrhage (who, until just now, i thought were Vital Remains with all new members), who were a complete surprise. They completely smashed my expectations, and stomped on the remains. The songs were catchy as fuck, and as a side, one of the guitarists was this cute chick who must have been spanish due to the size of her ass. The singer looked and sounded just like Ricky Ricardo and really got into character as a god-hating, human-eating, self-mutilating demon covered in blood. I wish i took more pictures but i was too busy being crushed against the barricade and banging my head to get my camera out for anything past the second song. A lot of the pictures i took of them came out shitty anyway, so here are the two good ones.

We left after these guys, mistaking them for Vital Remains, who were scheduled to headline that night.

edit: Just as a side, i originally thought the last band we saw was Vital Remains but it was in fact Haemorrhage. Makes sense, what with Vital Remains being Deicide 2 and the members of Haemorrhage being half as old as VR and like 12 times as spanish. Shows what i know. Good thing is, though, i can still hate Vital Remains for being boring and uncreative.
Lord Felch Demon
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:50 PM       
Day two!

We arrived in time to see Disfear first. They played high-speed rock n' roll, with the original singer, not thom lindberg (as far as i know, you tell me) and they were pretty cool. The guitarist on the right swatted away some photographer and looked pretty angry afterward, which was kind of annoying because even if they photographer was getting up in his grill, he wasn't playing anything but simple powerchords anyway, so it seemed kind of dickish. Funny enough, everyone else in the band seemed very swedish in their politeness and composure.

Next up was Severe Torture, who were actually way better than i originally expected. The riffs they wrote were actually kind of suffocationy, but the sound in general actually was like a less treble-filled Autopsy. They were definitely way better live than when i heard them on CD. Some guy brought his kid to the show, and the third picture there was supposed to be a picture of the little fellow throwing the horns when the singer announced the song (something or other about Jesus Christ and fucking him), but i think he only did it cuz everyone else did. Either way, it was cool. We also met up with my friend Cindy and her friend from NY, which i mention, just coincidentally, because that will be her kid in another 7 years. How fucking cool would it be to tell people at school that you went to see Severe Torture and Pungent Stench when you were like 8?

Unholy Grave played third, and they were as close to Discordance Axis as we're ever gonna get. Lightning fast politico-grind from 3 insance jappers. They fucking annihilated.

Cattle Decapitation went on after Unholy Grave and took forever to set up, but no one minded when they started to play. Except the drummer, anyway, who for some reason, was unable to play his drums until forced to by his other bandmates. The different in sound could not possibly have been so great as to throw off the jams, and no one in the crowd seemed to notice, so whatever. The singer went absolutely berserk, and it was awesome. The last picture is from the site EWS linked to and it depicts me making a goofy face behind and to the right of the guy with the Death shirt.

Necrophagist played next, and the wait for them was like 40 fucking minutes, but absolutely worth it. They obliterated, and the crowd went entirely insane. The house was packed wall-to-wall for them, and everyone really seemed to dig them. I kept plowing into some chick up front and eating some guy's hair, but i didn't give a shit, it was totally worth it. Their set drained me of every last bit of energy i had to be up front. Sorry the pics are so disappointing.

Pungent Stench! They were awesome, but most of my pictures didn't come out cuz we were back by the merch tables for their set. They played everything i wanted to hear except Shrunken and Mummified Bitch, which is by far my absolute favorite. The singer calling their music 400% Rape Rock was a definite highlight, though.

We left before Dismember played, which kind of sucked because Skin Her Alive is one of my favorite songs of all time, but we didn't have the energy to stay through their whole set just to hear that one. Now i kind of wish we had, but Cindy and her buddy needed a ride home anyway, so we left.

So, yeah. It was boss, and i walked out of there with some good photos of Demilich on their last tour ever, and a bootleg of the Discordane Axis DVD. Adpet walked out with, among other things, a demo CD called DEFECATION IS INEVITABLE, by far the best album name ever.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:17 PM       
The forth picture is surreal. D:
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:36 AM       
So many ugly guitars. :/
tenno is probably a spambot
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:14 PM       
hey any photos with that blur?
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 08:34 PM       
Man, I would have paid to not go to that.