Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 03:42 AM        Oh snap, I'm going through a prog rock phase now!
First new wave, then Zappa, then ska (briefly thank god, I only spent 2 dollars TOPS on this shit), then jazz, now it's prog rock. I can't imagine how much more musically open-minded I could possibly want to be at this point, someone kill me before I start liking doo-wop

I'm currently digging some Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Rush, and a little ELP and Yes. I, however, did not enjoy King Crimson's first album as much as I thought I should. Some of my friends suggest trying out some new stuff like the Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree, and I'm a little skeptical about them as I have never listened to my friends before and I don't intend to start now!

This stuff is pretty good though. Sort of reminds me of classical music without the boring violins and apparent pretentiousness, but if listening to prog makes me better than everyone then let me hear it because I sure like to think that my shitty musical preferences are actually admirable and that everyone else but me is wrong. Jethro Tull can get a little too flutey too often though and I often feel guilty for enjoying it being manly and all. And I'm not sure if Rush's lead singer is a woman or not. It's sort of the like the audio equivalent of a picture of kahljorn. These are the only serious flaws I have encountered

Come on guys let's get this thread up to five posts by the end of the month

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 04:02 AM       
Well if you don't like pretentiousness, I wouldn't think you'd enjoy Dream Theater.
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM       
Listen to Queen II. Very prog-rock right there.
Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 10:25 AM       
How can someone whose limited musical diet consists mostly of Zappa, jazz and prog rock say that pretentiousness in music puts them off? That's insane.

I like all of that stuff, but that's still silly.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 11:27 AM       
You have to listen to Psychotic Waltz.

(thanks Helm)
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:21 PM       
Tull and ELP are a-okay with me! Your low flute tolerance and libido issues can just head on back home, mister.

I'm one of the few people in the world who hates Rush, though. Reminds me of Styx.
125% 3D
Cfr5 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 01:15 PM       
Give Pain of Salvation a shot.
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 03:07 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krythor View Post
How can someone whose limited musical diet consists mostly of Zappa, jazz and prog rock say that pretentiousness in music puts them off? That's insane.

I like all of that stuff, but that's still silly.
If that's the case then it looks like I've got to adjust my attitude

But at least I still stand by my word that I'll never enjoy ambient/minimalism for that very reason. And sometimes classical music can feel that way for me. Maybe I'm just listening to the wrong classical music which I admit is entirely possible. Even fast-paced avantgarde Zappa classical music takes a hell of lot of effort for me to get into

Dream Theater was another suggestion I got before, in real life mind you. Do they have pointless 25-minute instrumental wank-a-thons? I like those!

NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:27 PM       
King Krimson's Red is a favorite of mine.
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM       
discordance axis
Banned
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:34 PM       
i think you would like the way they progress
Arts & Farts
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:36 PM       
I second Red, I think it's by far the best King Crimson album. I also love Discipline, which is hugely influenced by Talking Heads. I saw a video on youtube of them playing Elephant Talk live and Adrian Belew acts so much like a bad David Byrne impersonator it made me hate him for life, but they're still great songs.
Banned
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:37 PM       
I second Discordance Axis
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:37 PM       
Milhouse, I highly doubt you'd like Mars Volta, but give them a listen anyway. I personally think they're fucking awful.

If you're into prog, there's no reason why you shouldnt like Jazz Fusion/Jazz Rock. I reccomend the following:

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire
Pretty much any Weather Report you can get your hands on
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
Tony Williams Lifetime - Emergency!
Miles Davis - A Tribute To Jack Johnson (highly reccomended)
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
Miles Davis - Live Evil (highly highly reccomended)
Miles Davis - On The Corner
NEW FACE IN HELL
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krythor View Post
I second Red, I think it's by far the best King Crimson album. I also love Discipline, which is hugely influenced by Talking Heads. I saw a video on youtube of them playing Elephant Talk live and Adrian Belew acts so much like a bad David Byrne impersonator it made me hate him for life, but they're still great songs.
Wasnt Adrien Belew briefly a member of Talking Heads? I know he did all the weird solos in Remain In Light
Banned
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:41 PM       
the mars volta are fucking awful
NEW FACE IN HELL
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM       
my friends are totally gay for them, i dont get it. they sound like a shitty punk band trying to sound like King Krimson.
Arts & Farts
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:50 PM       
Adrian Belew toured with Zappa in 1979, Talking Heads in 1980, then joined King Crimson in 1981. He's a great guitarist and a good singer but if he didn't have such good credentials Elephant Talk would fill me with rage.

PS for classical recommendations, I adore Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring." It's fairly modern and influential on 20th century experimental artists such as Zappa, so you would probably like it.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 08:01 PM       
One of my friends who got me into Talking Heads loved Adrian Belew's solo work, but I didn't get too into it. He also loved Brian Eno, which I honestly tried really hard to appreciate but he really doesn't do anything for me either.

And because Zappa was big on Stravinsky and Varese as well those are the two I'd lean toward if I ever felt like venturing into classical music territory. You can blame Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven for being so boring that I never wanted to familiarize myself with the likes of them