Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 01:30 AM        Solve a movie mystery for me
Okay. Back in 2001 I saw a few times on Showtime and maybe Sundance this small production. I swear that I knew it as "The Next Big Thing", but IMDB puts at that time a movie of that title with a much different plot. Here is what I remember:

The plot was focused around a guy who is neurotic about criticizing pop culture. He does this mostly by referring to any object as fitting into an examplar of its quiddity; like, any car he sees, he says that it is "the car" because in the modern market all cars are actually the same. He goes on these weird rants about how all consumers are the same, blah blah.

He has, suitably, a neurotic girlfriend whose parents naturally hate him. She clings to him as his only follower. He's always talking about "the next big thing", which I think he'd randomly update with a prophesy or whatever and adjust it when it comes false.

At one point, he walks into a bookstore and finds a magazine titled "The Next Big Thing" and it covers a lot of his work and rants. He shrugs it off and leaves it. He later is told that this magazine never existed and thus he regrets having not bought it.

At one point, some artists he heckled or something hire him to make a music video for a song called "Purple-Haired Girl". In it, he ends up just taping them just digging a hole and eventually they beat him up.

At the climax, it's revealed that all the aspects of culture he critiques are those that dejected him. He was a failed writer, comic, actor, blah blah. The end credits played a song with the recurring line, "Teenage rerun, I wanna meet the new Marsha Brady".

It is thus rather meta that I cannot find ANYTHING about this movie online. Ridiculously so.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 02:00 AM       
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0161743/
ni kar'tayl gar darasuum
Kybo Ren is probably a spambot
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 02:00 AM       
The Last Big Thing

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0161743/

I didn't like it, but saw it a long time ago.
ni kar'tayl gar darasuum
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 02:02 AM       
jinx- guess I owe you a coke
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 02:03 AM       
quit horning in on my internet detective action KR
ni kar'tayl gar darasuum
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 09:30 PM