Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 01:10 PM       
It's a grey fox. They can climb trees!

Also, you can swim in it... if you don't mind snapping turtles!

Speaking of which, a snapping turtle buried its eggs on the edge of a dirt parking lot on campus this morning. The professor got some pictures/video, and I'll try to get them from him.

Here's more of the "lake" (pond!), where i stay most nights to watch bats fly around above the surface.

I should have included something as a size reference. This is big, but not HUUUUUGE.

This is literally right across a small dirt parking lot from where I sleep. I can walk here in less than a minute, walking slowly.

BAT WATCH
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 02:44 PM       
Wtf with that snake?
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 03:50 PM       
Damn it, I was hoping you could help me!

It was bigger than any ringneck I've seen but it had a partial ring (not really but KIND OF see here: http://klimp.dk/glown/snaik2.jpg ) and definitely more wrinkly-kinky-weird. Also any black rat snake I've seen that small has been juvenile and those tend to have very different markings.

Apparently rat snakes, as a whole, have a tendency to kink up like that when nervous, but this is the first time I've ever seen it. Also, if you touched this snake, he would smooth out and look like a normal snake (still curved!) before winding himself back up into that kinky thing.

WEIRD.

PS don't do a google search for "kinky snake"
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 10:39 PM       
http://http://www.herpetologynotes.s...ges079-081.pdf
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 11:02 PM       
WEARD
teacup of sunshine
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 02:14 PM       
I know it's some sort of defense mechanism, maybe to camouflage as a branch. That's about all I know. It just always looks startling.
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM       

these are apparently very common.
teacup of sunshine
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 01:13 PM       
Rosy maple moth

Not my favorite saturniid, but a beauty.
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 12:48 AM       

granite city. fun place.

a peromyscus manculatus, greasy from peanut butter and staggering from torpor.

whitewater falls, complete with dead hemlocks.

ocoee!

plethodon metcalfi, the southern gray-cheeked salamander.

a spring salamander, eating an ocoee. the ocoee got away in the bag.

it did not get away in the container.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 12:47 AM       
Awesome photos. What a great waterfall.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM       
Oh yeah! Here are some nice quality photos of animals. I didn't take any of these, though I caught some of the animals (the salamanders).

Plethodon metcalfi, gray-cheeked salamander.

Can't remember the scientific name, but this is a spring salamander. The one with an Ocoee in his mouth in an earlier picture.

Blarina brevicauda, northern short-tailed shrew. These guys are venomous (cool!) and stinky (less cool!)

Napaeozapus insignis, woodland jumping mouse. CUTE.

Here's a turtle burying her eggs in a dirt parking lot.

Some kind of two-lined salamander. All I know for sure is that he's adorable.

And speaking of adorable, Ochrotomys nuttalli, golden mouse.

Old Jul 24th, 2012, 03:34 PM       
Here are my shitty pics again!

This is where I went today, Table Rock in NC.

Old Jul 27th, 2012, 07:57 PM       

not as big as it looks, but lampshade spiders are cool.
teacup of sunshine
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 09:31 PM       
Very cool.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 09:32 PM       
AWESOME
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 10:44 PM       
If I knew it would turn out that well, I would have taken more trying to get better ones. I just took that one and a shitty one of the web. There was another one that was eating and I tried to get a picture of that but it didn't turn out.

These guys are hard to photograph because they're almost always on the underside of large rocks and rock faces, in dark places with awkward angles. Today there was several on the side of a rock face, in the sun and everything. And the lichen on the rock just happened to be light, too.

I may have to go back with a slightly better camera (also to show my girlfriend because she's silly and likes things like this). I'll have to ask her if they do that often.

This is the last picture I tried to take of them. I was trying, that time, too. sux

Old Jul 27th, 2012, 11:10 PM       
i take it back there are a few more

teacup of sunshine
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 05:45 PM       
the web one is great, even if it is blurry.