Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 09:11 AM        Nightline to remember those killed in combat
I will be watching this.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...usa_names_dc_6

'Nightline' Devotes Show to Reading War Dead Names

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Ted Koppel's "Nightline" will dedicate an entire broadcast to a reading of the names of American servicemen and women killed in action in Iraq.

Koppel will read aloud the names of those killed since the March 2003 start of the Iraq war on the Friday edition of ABC News "Nightline," the network said on Tuesday. The reading will be accompanied by a photograph of each person named.

While "Nightline" and other U.S. TV news broadcasts have reported regularly on those killed in Iraq, "Nightline" executive producer Leroy Sievers said: "We realized that the casualties were on their way to becoming just numbers."

"'The Fallen' is our way of reminding our viewers -- whether they agree with the war or not -- that beyond the casualty numbers, these men and women are serving in Iraq in our names. and that those who have been killed have names and faces," said Sievers.

Due to time constraints in the 30-minute program, "Nightline" will limit its reading to the approximately 523 U.S. troops killed in combat since the start of the war. Another 201 have died as a result of accidents, friendly fire or suicide.

The planned broadcast follows the controversial publication in the United States last week of hitherto restricted pictures of dozens of flag-draped coffins returning home with the bodies of U.S. troops.

A "Nightline" spokeswoman said ABC's decision was not related to the publication of the photos, and there was no political intent behind ABC's decision to read out the names of those killed in the war.

"It is purely a tribute," she said, adding that "Nightline" had been working closely with the Army Times Publishing Company which has a database of names and photographs of troops killed in action.

ABC is owned by the Walt Disney Co.
YB is probably a spambot
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 09:23 AM       
I'm sorry but I found that last line kind of funny. :/

Why won't they do the same to those killed by accident, allied forces or who comitted suicide ? Are they not considered as "heroes" just like the rest ?
They say it's a question of time, but I guess that when you can have a 30 min show, you probably can buy another 15 minutes.
Little Monster
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 10:06 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by YB
Why won't they do the same to those killed by accident, allied forces or who comitted suicide ? Are they not considered as "heroes" just like the rest ?
They say it's a question of time, but I guess that when you can have a 30 min show, you probably can buy another 15 minutes.
Actually, that's the reason they've cut it down. I wish they'd preempt Jimmy Kimmel too, but at least remember some soldiers are better than remembering no soldiers.
Little Monster
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 02:11 PM       
I don't have any link yet, but apparently they're going to expand the program so that all soldiers are mentioned.
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:23 PM       
We should also remember those who are still alive and serving our country still.
mesobe is probably a spambot
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:59 PM       
Ronnie: why dont you go over to Iraq and defend us all from evil terrorists? get blown up in the process too
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:16 AM       
amazing...some stations have decided not to air Nightline this evening as the subject matter has been deemed detrimental to the public well being....

The stupidity of Americans will never cease to amaze me...
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:29 AM       
Too detrimental to Bush's public opinion polls, actually.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 11:09 AM       
agreed :/

I wonder what he'll pull out of his ass closer to November to boost his ratings?
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:30 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Electrolux

I wonder what he'll pull out of his ass closer to November to boost his ratings?
They'll probably pull Osama bin Laden out of whatever closet they've been hiding him in and drag him, hogtied, into the middle of the RNC.
mesobe is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 04:22 PM       
Quote:

more money, duh.
Striped Tomato
Zebra 3 is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Modular
Quote:
Originally Posted by YB
Actually, that's the reason they've cut it down. I wish they'd preempt Jimmy Kimmel too, but at least remember some soldiers are better than remembering no soldiers.
- It turned out that they've decided to name all US soldiers killed in Iraq, but unfortunately over here in Canada, they eventually cut in to start fatso's talk show.

Freaky Sheek is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2004, 05:30 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialBrandon
Quote:

They'll probably pull Osama bin Laden out of whatever closet they've been hiding him in and drag him, hogtied, into the middle of the RNC.

sorry, it reminded me of that Boondocks comic :/

I am glad they ran the whole program here.

Faces of the Fallen