Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Art
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 03:19 AM       
coz it's quicker, i s'pose
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 04:12 AM       
It's about being well-rounded and actually having skill. You won't ALWAYS draw from life. You can easily end up using straight-up references more than half the time. but when you're learning it's critical to draw from life.

You should focus on drawing from life while you're learning because that will guarantee that you know how to do it. There are a lot of reasons why you should know how, many of which are ignored by young artists. This is a wonderful thing for their competitors; if you can draw expertly from a photo but struggle with drawing from life, you're a cripple.

I'll keep it to only a couple of reasons. First of all, photographs distort, flatten, and present images for you on a silver plate. You're just copying and rendering, skipping (and therefore not practicing) a slew of critical artistic decisions that naturally occur when you draw from life and have to represent a three dimensional object on a two dimensional plane yourself. You obviously make artistic decisions when you take the photo, but those are not drawing decisions. You're out of your comfort zone, and you inadvertently focus far more on accuracy (even though it's frustrating at first). If you can draw well from life, you WILL be able to draw from a photo. Being able to draw from a photo does not at ALL guarantee that you can draw from life.

Things change. Lighting changes, the model moves, something gets messed up. You then have to fix it on the page yourself. If someone is sitting for you, you're on a time limit (once again developing speed is healthy for you as an artist. You can ALWAYS take your time... but unless you practice, you won't be able to draw quickly. Drawing quickly unifies the drawing far better and allows for accurate underdrawings in a short period of time, which in turn leaves PLENTY of time for the detail work. The more fluid, accurate, and natural the underdrawing, the better the final result. Invariably.) If you want to be accurate, you are forced to abandon area drawing (critical) if you have that problem. You stand far away from the model and have to focus on spending most of your time staring very intently at the model while only able to steal quick glances at your paper. This increases accuracy by improving observational skills. Once you have accuracy and speed, you can move back to using references and focus on improving your rendering. Accuracy and speed, accuracy and speed, always accuracy and speed. Once you get a handle on those, then you can move on with confidence. Plus, you'll get better quicker.

I think I'll stop there and keep it as an internet post, instead of having to rewrite it as an essay while really going into lighting and perspective
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 04:18 AM       
And all of this happens without you really having to think about it at all. All you're doing is trying to draw the motherfucker, and puzzling over why something doesn't look quite right. Drawing from life is brain food for the artist
nowhere to fly to.
bubbles is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 08:55 PM       

This is a painting I did don't know if im finished yet... any words?
You're brain-dead
You've gotta fuckin' bullet in your head
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:14 PM       
looks neat
aint nobody

All Hail Duke is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:19 PM       
pretty much what zero said
nowhere to fly to.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:46 PM       
well thank you
You're brain-dead
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 06:53 AM       
it appears to be missing pieces
nowhere to fly to.
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 08:45 AM       
yes this is true, I am still working on it but it goes with a story and at times I like my work a little unfinished bc the characters build as the story does. Not sure if this is a bad idea? I would like your input
You're brain-dead
nowhere to fly to.
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 09:27 AM       

here is another example for the same story...
You're brain-dead
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 12:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Not sure if this is a bad idea? I would like your input
Add a dick to it, Chojin.
nowhere to fly to.
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 07:41 PM       
so you like the dick and feel the painting is lacking without it. Nothing like a raging hard on!!! Thank you Zhukov
You're brain-dead
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 06:48 AM       
mmmm I like this.

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-b...emy-hutchinson
nowhere to fly to.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 10:17 PM       

This is a painting I did for our story any feedback?

its called Sir Patience
You're brain-dead
Thrills and Oblongs
Shrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 12:20 PM       
My final year proposal feedback has many irritating questions in it that I'm fairly certain I explained in detail in the actual proposal.
Now I don't know whether I should 'play the game' and change things to how they want or just rephrase a bunch of stuff like I'm talking to a child.
Mocker

Shyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 01:10 AM       
I've only been doing drawings casually but I'm sort of interested in going farther. My only nit pick is whether I'm too prudent about the idea of photo references vs the real thing.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 10:40 AM       
Do you guys think we'll have another Exquisite Corpse project again soon? Those are always fun.
Salticidae!
b_squared is probably a real personb_squared is probably a real person
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 10:56 AM       
I encouraged my daughters art talent as they grew up. Now they just finished their first year in college with art as their majors, and I am worried that the college money should better be used for a different major. Is there any way they can make a decient living with an art related job? Does that starving artist thing still hold true?
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 07:11 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_squared View Post
Is there any way they can make a decient living with an art related job?
No, sorry
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 09:10 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyandquietguy View Post
I've only been doing drawings casually but I'm sort of interested in going farther. My only nit pick is whether I'm too prudent about the idea of photo references vs the real thing.
once the drawing is complete though, does it really matter where you drew it from? there are some drawings where you can tell its from a photo (shit lighting, flatness, etc.), but generally i can't tell the difference unless it's blatant. and if someone sees the drawing without asking you where you drew it from, they probably won't know any better.

and this raises a question i've been drunkenly arguing about for a years: does the artist's intent matter or is it about the viewer's perception? or both?
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM       
Happy Birthday MLE
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 03:41 PM       
emmmmmmmmmmmelllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 10:24 PM       
MLEH
Forum Virgin
monicat is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 06:41 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grislygus View Post
It's about being well-rounded and actually having skill. You won't ALWAYS draw from life. You can easily end up using straight-up references more than half the time. but when you're learning it's critical to draw from life.

You should focus on drawing from life while you're learning because that will guarantee that you know how to do it. There are a lot of reasons why you should know how, many of which are ignored by young artists. This is a wonderful thing for their competitors; if you can draw expertly from a photo but struggle with drawing from life, you're a cripple.

I'll keep it to only a couple of reasons. First of all, photographs distort, flatten, and present images for you on a silver plate. You're just copying and rendering, skipping (and therefore not practicing) a slew of critical artistic decisions that naturally occur when you draw from life and have to represent a three dimensional object on a two dimensional plane yourself. You obviously make artistic decisions when you take the photo, but those are not drawing decisions. You're out of your comfort zone, and you inadvertently focus far more on accuracy (even though it's frustrating at first). If you can draw well from life, you WILL be able to draw from a photo. Being able to draw from a photo does not at ALL guarantee that you can draw from life.

Things change. Lighting changes, the model moves, something gets messed up. You then have to fix it on the page yourself. If someone is sitting for you, you're on a time limit (once again developing speed is healthy for you as an artist. You can ALWAYS take your time... but unless you practice, you won't be able to draw quickly. Drawing quickly unifies the drawing far better and allows for accurate underdrawings in a short period of time, which in turn leaves PLENTY of time for the detail work. The more fluid, accurate, and natural the underdrawing, the better the final result. Invariably.) If you want to be accurate, you are forced to abandon area drawing (critical) if you have that problem. You stand far away from the model and have to focus on spending most of your time staring very intently at the model while only able to steal quick glances at your paper. This increases accuracy by improving observational skills. Once you have accuracy and speed, you can move back to using references and focus on improving your rendering. Accuracy and speed, accuracy and speed, always accuracy and speed. Once you get a handle on those, then you can move on with confidence. Plus, you'll get better quicker.

I think I'll stop there and keep it as an internet post, instead of having to rewrite it as an essay while really going into lighting and perspective
I agree, artists nowadays just want to skip some stages. That's what leads to the "so called art" we are asked to admire
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM       
That commercial I did is up for an award. I find out in March.