Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 03:00 AM        Weekly Comic Review: Forgotten Realms - Starless Night #1
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Comic Review: Forgotten Realms - Starless Night #1.
Last of the Time Lords
Doctor_Who is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM       
I love D&D, but I have to admit I've never been a huge fan of Drizzt. I know there's a big difference between being a cliche, and being the guy who inspired the cliche, but the simple fact is I've seen way to many characters who wanted to be Drizzt Do'Urden to appreciate the real one.
Ba dum dum dum dum
Alcibiades is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 01:10 PM       
Never been a fan of Drizzt. Though it may trace to my preference for Dwarves over Elves (Go Gotrek and Felix!) I think it really boils down to everything I've ever read of him made him so boringly perfect.

The only good member of his race! An unbeatable swordsman! Powerful Artifacts! I just can't get that much into a fantasy character who doesn't ever seem to bleed.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 04:12 PM       
This looked interesting enough to pick up. Just weird sometimes when for years you have pictures in your mind of what each character looks like and then they ink them up and they're different.
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:26 AM       
Well, one good thing for the confused is that they've also done the earlier novels (Dark Elf trilogy, Icewind Dale trilogy, etc) so those can be found as well. I've been picking these up and enjoying them quite a bit, actually. Though they are, as Dr. Boogie said, more like cliffs notes. If that gets people interested in reading the books though, mores the better if you ask me.

And I am a Drizzt fangirl. Could have something to do with the then boyfriend at the time getting me a Gwen statue for Valentine's Day (ah, gamer geek presents...)and the books, with the note "Read them to find out her name." Yes, Drizzt himself has been copycatted to death, but there's also something about the Drow in general that I like, both as a reader and a DM.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 02:07 AM       
Ex-boyfriend you say? Valentines day is coming up. Sounds like you need something new.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 06:47 PM       
Maybe I should read up on this series.
nilus is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 12:55 PM       
I always kinda found the R.A. Salvator Forgotten Realms books to be decent but never great. They stand on there own but compared to the original Dragonlance Chronicles they were meh.
Sex Panther
Gato is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:08 PM       
Why do all these fantasy comics/books/movies have characters with ungodly unpronoucable names? WHY?
SKATASTIC
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM       
I wouldn't be able to get behind a group of fantasy character's named Billy Timmy and Jeff.
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 11:26 PM       
To Ghost: Actually, said present was several years ago and he and I parted on very good terms, actually. This V-Day, I'm single and quite content with that fact.
Sex Panther
Gato is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM       
@ Ghost-

Actually I would find the story more entertaining if the main character was named JimBob instead of K'thardalg.
Turrican't. :(
Kitsunexus is probably a spambot
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 10:48 AM       
This comic is an accurate depiction of African Americans. "DOZE SIX-EYED MUTHAZ ALWAYS UP IN MY GRILL DOG! AINT A NOTHIN YOU CAN DO, DEY GOTZ DA MAJIX! CAN I GET A HOLLA FROM DA BRUDDAS AND DA SISTERS! WORD ON MUH NIZZLE!".

Blech. ¬_¬
SKATASTIC
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 11:22 PM       
I have no time for your racism here.
The Ugly Puckling
Graystreet is probably a spambot
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 10:08 AM       
I prefer gibberish names to fake Indian names, Drizz't or Swiftrunner?

One thing that does bother me though is when all the characters have these elaborate fictional ethnic names and then the women (typically only the non-evil ones, evil ones get gibberish too) pop up and have names like Gwen, Marian, or if they're feeling adventurous, the name of a month. I get that they don't want to have someone like Drizz't pining for Ur'Ba'Danoth or Dud'e'lon Mc'Manlo've but they could use the standard English feminine details and make up fitting names.

Drizz't eventually starts shacking up with a Katie, how silly is that?

Aluria and its offspring doesn't count because they're just the word Allure spelled wrong.