Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 02:45 PM        Tales From the Longbox 32: "Comics Worth Reading"
Automatically generated comment thread for Tales From the Longbox 32: "Comics Worth Reading".
Kwisatz Haderach
Muadi'ib is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM       
Awesome, I'm reading about half of those books right now.
Last of the Time Lords
Doctor_Who is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 07:48 PM       
Great list, Proto. Right now the only ones I'm reading are Fables and X-Men, but you've given me a lot of great stuff to look for next time I visit the shop.
skank pronger
Aries is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 08:09 PM       
Another entertaining and informative article, Proto! So...will you ever get around to the 10 things you like and hate about Star Wars Episode 3?
Pickleman's Uncle
Poxpower is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 08:41 PM       
Dude you must be RUINED from buying so many comics.
Haha
neoboman is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 09:28 PM       
Nice to see you posting positive things about comics for once (as long as it doesn't happen too frequently). I've only read the first two, but I'll definitely check out some of those.
Fanboy
Purple Man is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 09:43 PM       
A damn good list - especially Daredevil and Hellblazer. I'd just like to add Captain Britain and MI13, it's a fun title any fan - newbie or nerd - can get into.
The Magnificent Bastard
Tetsu Deinonychus is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:31 PM       
Good list of Marvel and DC titles. I'm not usually a "big two" reader, but I might check a few of these out.

The only superhero comic I buy regularly is Batman/Superman. And, it's usually pretty good. I'd say it's worth checking out.

I'd also like to mention that "Heavy Metal Magazine" is always a great read.

And, to anyone with kids (or who doesn't mind reading a kid's story if it's good, and really well written), I'd like to add "Amelia Rules" to the list. It's kind of an updated "Peanuts".

Also, to add a few Manga to the list...

Ice Blade- Gritty crime drama at it's finest.

Tramps Like Us- A romantic comedy smarter than any movie of the genre. It's about a stressed out career woman who keeps a mischievous younger man as a pet. It's not as sick as it sounds.

Nana- Very fun. It's two roommates with the same name dealing with their hectic lives.

Doll- A series of very haunting short stories about androids. Plus, the artwork is incredible!

A couple Man-wha (Korean comics), I recommend.

Soul To Seoul- My favourite comic (of any nationality or genre) out right now. Hands down! It's basically about Korean American teenagers trying to find their place in a bustling New York City.

Tarot Café- Gorgeous artwork and creepy stories, centered around Tarot predictions.

Out of American graphic novel series published as Manga, I recommend...

Bizenghast- This series is AMAZING! It's about a young girl named Dinah who spends her nights getting ghosts to cross over in various surreal dream-worlds.

I Luv Halloween- Dark, sick, gory humor! It's about a group of sociopathic trick-or-treaters that do horrific things to obtain candy. Most of the characters are usually dead by the end of each volume (and back the next). I love it!
Forum Virgin
KanyonKreist is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 12:55 AM       
I stopped reading Iron Fist when Fraction and Brubaker left. I know it's not fair to Dwayne Scwhatever, their successive writer, but I'd read his work and I just didn't see any chance that the series would remain at that level of quality. I mean, how could it?
DarkfireTaimatsu is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 12:56 AM       
Hear, hear. I just picked up the latest JSA trade today, in fact. Part 3 of Thy Kingdom Come.
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Relaxing Dragon is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 01:36 AM       
I was wondering where 100 Bullets was, but then I remembered that it just recently finished up its run. And I'm only at issue 88, which bothers me :/
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 02:03 AM       
I periodically read Fables, myself...usually when the TPB come out and I have an hour lunch at work, heh. The others, not so much, even if I am an X-men and Buffy fangirl. Maybe I'll have to give Astonishing a second look. And as for the Buffy, I will admit to not recognizing Xander at first, but it was a pleasant surprise.

And to Tetsu: Check out Les Bijioux (I have a feeling I'm butchering the spelling) if you haven't already. It's the same artist as Tarot Cafe (which is a fab book, too!) I Luv Halloween is just...wrong on so many levels (but I find myself flipping through it anyway.) and Bizenghast needs to come out quicker, dammit!
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 02:40 AM       
Pox, believe me when I say that, if he never bought any comics, Proto could be a retired man with an island of his own by now.
Forum Virgin
hisholiness is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 03:47 AM       
Thanks for the list of comics Proto. I've been meaning to get back into comics and now i've got somewhere to start. I've been wondering about The Walking Dead comic. If anyone has any opinions about it i'd like to read them. Looks interesting. Thanks again Proto!
Forum Virgin
MallardMan is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:30 AM       
Good list. Just to throw a few more into the list...

Both Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps have been pretty outstanding for the past couple years.

Marvel's recently given pretty much all of their cosmic guys to Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, and they've been doing some great stuff, particularly with Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova. They've actually made Nova into an interesting character - a feat by any stretch of the imagination.

One more to throw in there: Jonah Hex. I started getting into the title to just try and get away from all the Marvel "Let's jump into the next crossover!!!" and DC's "Sure, Grant - you just do your thing" garbaget and was surprised to find a really dark and interesting book about a character who's probably doing what he's doing just to get the shit kicked out of himself. Jonah's an ugly son of a bitch in the late 19th century, wandering the west and getting his ass into trouble. No super powers, no magic, no fantasy. Just a guy with a ridiculously scarred face getting into trouble with guns and dames.
Forum Virgin
MallardMan is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:43 AM       
One more that I forgot to mention: Booster Gold. The book is pretty much as close to actual super-hero fun as you can get in comics these days, now that we're well and deep into another turn on the old "grim and gritty". Booster Gold has a bit of continuity to it, but the book is about a time traveling corporate super-hero from the 25th century who has now decided to grow up a little and help make sure that time doesn't get screwed up. Pretty standard, really.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:39 AM       
While I absolutely love comics, I prefer trade paper backs and graphic novels to monthly comics. I just enjoy reading the whole story without having to wait.
Retardedly Handsome
Icculus is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 09:55 AM       
I'm with nick on that one...It also keeps me from falling into the trap of buying them twice.
Pickleman's Uncle
Poxpower is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:49 AM       
Warning to everyone: DO NOT BUY HEAVY METAL MAGAZINE.
Unless you like paintings of hot women doing things like riding motorcycles, cutting off the heads of ogres and kissing lesbian cyborgs.

The stories are shit though.
What Video Games?
Angryhydralisk is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM       
I'd say this is a pretty insightful article here. Iron Fist and Buffy probably the most unexpected thing to look into.

I'm not much of a comic fan but if I ever got inclined I'd check these out.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 01:31 PM       
I agree with Nick and it makes it easier then buying a comic once a month
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Relaxing Dragon is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM       
hisholiness: I've been reading The Walking Dead for a while now, and I definitely give it my endorsement. It's a damn fine zombie read, great characters and art, and an engrossing story. You'll definitely want to check it out.
Commarade General
Commanderraf is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 01:59 PM       
I've been reading about Captain America lately (not the comics themselves, but different webpages and books on the subject) and I was amazed that the same character that was created in the World War II to promote propaganda WAS the modern day Captain America with no reboots or alternate universes; just by using some imagination and a big chunck of ice. I was thinking of picking up a Captain America book, but now with this article, I have DECIDED to pick up a Captain America book.

Thanks Proto. I hope the comic industry gives you some kind of commision for this and the Longbox entries (I've also been tempted to buy the "One More/Brand New Day" and the "All Star Batman and Robin" just to show them to everybody I know and let them know how hilarious they are. Without evidence, they would'nt believe me).

-Goddamn Commanderraf
Droog
Delirium is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM       
None of these comics are sold over here.
Strange blob from beyond
caffman is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 05:35 PM       
delirium, where is over here?