Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 11:50 AM        Protesting
I'll log various news articles of protests here. Feel free to do the same.

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=25&sid=331881

Another Man Jumps Fence at White House
Updated: Monday, Nov. 15, 2004 - 5:42 PM

WASHINGTON - Just hours after a man set himself on fire on Pennsylvania Avenue, another man jumped the fence onto White House grounds.
WTOP has learned that around 5 p.m. Monday, the man scaled the six-foot high fence, landed on the other side, and was pounced-on by the uniformed Secret Service.

This happened just hours after the Secret Service put the flames out on another man. D.C. Fire and EMS spokesman Alan Etter says the 52-year-old man suffered serious burns to his head, back, arms and face.

Officials do not know what sparked either man to do what he did.

(Copyright 2004 by WTOP and The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

---

"Officials do not know what sparked either man to do what he did. "
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 01:24 PM       
well, it's better than sitting on it.
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 02:12 PM       
Found this on Drudge:

Nov 16, 1:08 AM (ET)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A man who set himself on fire outside the White House on Monday was a Yemeni federal informant on terrorism upset over how the FBI had managed his case, The Washington Post reported on Tuesday.

Mohamed Alanssi, who had recently discussed his work as an informant in interviews with The Washington Post, told the newspaper by faxed letter and telephone on Monday he intended to "burn my body at unexpected place," the newspaper reported.

The U.S. Park Police said in a statement that a Middle Eastern male in his early 50's approached the northwest gate of the White House around 2 p.m. with a letter for the president. After a brief conversation with Secret Service officers, the man pulled a lighter from his pocket and ignited his jacket, the statement said.

The Washington Post said Alanssi, 52, was taken to Washington Hospital Center, where he was listed in critical condition with burns over about 30 percent of his body.

Neither the Secret Service nor White House had immediate comment on the incident. The man's name was being withheld pending notification of his family, the Park Police said.

A spokesman for the FBI in Washington was not immediately available for comment on the Post report early on Tuesday.

In interviews with the newspaper, Alanssi, who is from Yemen and also uses the name Mohamed Alhadrami, expressed anguish over not being able to visit his family in Yemen.

He told the newspaper that he suffers from diabetes and heart problems and that his wife suffers from stomach cancer. Alanssi said he could not travel to Yemen because he has no money and because the FBI, which expects him to testify at a terrorism trial in New York, was keeping his Yemeni passport.

"It is my big mistake that I have cooperated with FBI," Alanssi was quoted as saying.

"The FBI have already destroyed my life and my family's life and made us in a very danger position . . . I am not crazy to destroy my life and my family's life to get $100,000," he said.

Alanssi said he became a major informant for the FBI after the 2001 al Qaeda attacks on the United States. He said he was paid $100,000 in 2003 but had expected much more and had not received the permanent residency status he was promised, the newspaper reported.

"We don't have a policy on revealing who is a cooperator or informing witness," Joe Valiquette, an FBI spokesman in New York, told the Post. The U.S. attorney's office in the eastern district of New York, which is prosecuting the terrorism-related trial in January, also declined comment, the newspaper said.

dreaddi is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 05:10 AM       
Is there actually a lot of protesting done by the youth in America? Seems like these are the same guys that protested in 1968 or whenever... that's not good
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:22 AM       
MTV has to get P. Diddy to come back and do Protest or Die.

Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:27 AM       
I guess this thread is not for posting protests that are not about the US election results?
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:32 AM       
I'm sure P-Diddy is upset about Howard, too.

Give him some time.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!