Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:22 PM        Bush to Common Sense: "Fuck you."
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

It seems to me that this would probably be the wisest course of action, given the uproar, but I guess we're faced with another instance of the Bush admin ever admitting to a mistake. I know some of you may say that Bush has apologized, but it's not the same thing.

How many of you think this will come back to bite Bush?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bush 'sorry for humiliation' of Iraqi prisoners
Rejects calls for Rumsfeld's resignation

Thursday, May 6, 2004 Posted: 2:24 PM EDT (1824 GMT)

Sen. Tom Harkin, left, said Rumsfeld "has to go."

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush on Thursday said he told visiting king of Jordan that he is "sorry for the humiliation suffered" by Iraqi prisoners at the hands of U.S. troops in Iraq.

Bush said he told King Abdullah II that the photos made him and others "sick to our stomachs." And he said he made it clear that "wrongdoers will be brought to justice."

Bush made his comments at a joint Rose Garden news conference with the king.

Bush rejected calls for Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to resign for his handling of the Iraqi prisoner abuse controversy.

"He is an important part of my Cabinet and he will stay in my Cabinet," Bush said.

Earlier in the day, Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, demanded Rumsfeld leave office.

"For the good of our country, the safety of our troops, and our image around the globe, Secretary Rumsfeld should resign," Harkin said in a statement. "If he does not resign forthwith, the president should fire him."

"He has to go. Nothing, I think, less will suffice," Harkin told CNN. "It's not enough just for Secretary Rumsfeld to say that some people in the lower ranks are responsible for this -- this goes all the way up."

Rumsfeld is scheduled to testify Friday morning about the U.S. military abuse of Iraqi prisoners in both open and closed hearings of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

An internal report by the U.S. Defense Department determined that Iraqi prisoners were being abused by members of the U.S. military.

Investigators, led by Maj. Gen. Antonio Taguba, interviewed dozens of witnesses and looked at "numerous photos and videos portraying in graphic detail actual detainee abuse" that were taken by personnel at Abu Ghraib prison on the outskirts of Baghdad.

The report said the abuse included threatening detainees with a pistol and with military dogs, sodomizing a prisoner with a chemical light and perhaps a broomstick, forcing naked prisoners into compromising positions and accusing them of being homosexuals.

Six soldiers have been criminally charged in the case and six others have been reprimanded, with two of those relieved of duty, Rumsfeld has said.

After last week's CBS broadcast showing images of Iraqis being humiliated and abused, both Democrats and Republicans on Capitol Hill have expressed outrage that they were not informed of the problem earlier.

House Minority Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said Rumsfeld's statement that the Army made the abuse investigations public in January was an insufficient explanation for not telling Congress about details of the abuse problem.

"Mr. Rumsfeld has been engaged in a coverup from the start on this issue and continues to be so," Pelosi said Thursday.

Like Harkin, Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, also called for Rumsfeld to resign or be removed from office, saying the Pentagon chief concealed the matter from Bush and Congress.

The Economist magazine Thursday called for Rumsfeld to resign as did an editorial in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. New York Times columnist Thomas L. Friedman called on Bush to fire Rumsfeld "today, not tomorrow or next month."

Rumsfeld canceled a planned speech Thursday to the World Affairs Council in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to spend the day preparing for his testimony, Pentagon officials said.

In a private meeting between Rumsfeld and President Bush on Wednesday, Bush told Rumsfeld he was "not happy" that he learned about the photos by watching television, a senior administration official told CNN.

"He was not happy, and he let Secretary Rumsfeld know about it," the official said.

Bush also was concerned that he was not kept up to speed on the scope of the problem -- and how the Pentagon was handling it, the official said.

Rumsfeld also made clear that he, too, felt "he didn't know some things he should have," according to the senior official, along with another official. (Full story)

Meanwhile, the Red Cross said Thursday it had "repeatedly requested U.S. authorities to take corrective action."

Antonella Notari, chief spokeswoman for the International Committee of the Red Cross, said "some measures have already been taken," without revealing the ICRC's recommendations.

"I do think that our recommendations were taken seriously and I do think that now, yet even more, there are other measures that are being planned," she said. "And we do, of course, intend to continue our visits." (Full story)

Other developments

# The Washington Post on Thursday published more photos apparently depicting U.S. soldiers mistreating prisoners at Abu Ghraib. One shows a female soldier, the same one shown in previous photos released by CBS, holding a leash tethered to the neck of a naked Iraqi prisoner lying on the ground. Another photo shows an Iraqi prisoner chained to a bed frame with women's underwear covering his face.

# A bipartisan group of senators is urging the Pentagon to demolish the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq in order to exorcise a symbol of both Saddam Hussein's torture chambers and an embarrassing episode for the U.S. military. (Full story)

# On Wednesday, Bush told two Arabic-language television networks that abuse of Iraqi prisoners was "abhorrent" and would reinforce anti-American sentiment in the region. "I think people in the Middle East who want to dislike America will use this as an excuse to remind people about their dislike." Bush told the Al-Arabiya network. "I think the average citizen will say, 'This isn't the country I've been told about.'" (Full story)

CNN's Ed Henry and Dana Bash contributed to this report.
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:42 PM        Re: Bush to Common Sense: "Fuck you."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky
How many of you think this will come back to bite Bush?
Someone is going to try to bite back at Dubya. However, like everything in this world of 'shock and awe', it will be innocent civilians who will sacrifice their respective pounds of flesh.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:35 PM       
How does this go "all the way up"? Do you people think Eisenhower(sp) should have resigned after reports of German POW abuses arose?

Don't get me wrong. I think the punishment of those who did this need to be swift, public and descisive. The actual guards go to prison and the brass in the area lose their jobs.

But this isn't something you burn down the entire chain of command for.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:17 PM        Re: Bush to Common Sense: "Fuck you."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky
In a private meeting between Rumsfeld and President Bush on Wednesday, Bush told Rumsfeld he was "not happy" that he learned about the photos by watching television, a senior administration official told CNN.
Perhaps if Mr. Bush went to the security and intelligence meetings more often, this and many other things may have been learned a lot sooner and he'd be able to react to them in a timely manner.

This is the first time I remember Bush apologizing about ANYTHING.

Wherever you go, there you are.
mesobe is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:18 PM       
it will go right up to god. then bush will say that god said it was alright and that god wanted him to murder poor brown people (I think he already said that though)
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:48 PM       
Quote:
# On Wednesday, Bush told two Arabic-language television networks that abuse of Iraqi prisoners was "abhorrent" and would reinforce anti-American sentiment in the region. "I think people in the Middle East who want to dislike America will use this as an excuse to remind people about their dislike." Bush told the Al-Arabiya network. "I think the average citizen will say, 'This isn't the country I've been told about.'" (Full story)
'This isn't the country I've been told about.'

What the fuck?

It most certainly is the country they've been told about. The country they hear about in the arab world, the America they know and hate, is proving that we are what radical islamic culture says we are. We're not disproving some rumors that we're kind and that we're attacking with teddy bears and baby rattles.

Jesus hell, the title of this thread is more applicable than I thought.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women