Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM        Ten Things I Like And Hate About Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
Automatically generated comment thread for Ten Things I Like And Hate About Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace.
Drunken_Lemur408 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:11 PM       
First! Great article Proto!
Forum Virgin
knads is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:12 PM       
I got one, I haven't seen the movie since it first came out on VHS, but the thing I remember that I really hated that was really random was Darth Maul's "theme" music. I really can't remember it, but I do remember it was trash. Seems like there was some sort of whispering or something.
Fish-Waffle
Burn is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:57 PM       
I didn't enjoy George Lucas's merchandising insanity. Anything and everything had the Phantom Menace logo slapped on it, and sadly I fell for most of it. =/

Anyone else here collect the special-edition Star Wars Pepsi Cans? Oh geeze, I'm weak...
Spiteful Jerk
Magic Flyin' Lemur is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:07 PM       
I remember liking this movie when it came out in theaters, because I was thirteen and didn't yet appreciate things like "acting" or "dialogue". Then I watched it again when I was 19...

I'll take crappy acting of Jake Lloyd of Episode I over Darth Emo any day, though. The future Dark Lord of The Sith should not have a permanent pout.
Spruce Moose is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM       
But I really did like Episode III, legitamately!
Fake Shemp
Ferrit is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:51 PM       
Like you said Proto - negatives are too numerous too list. But I do have to say that sitting in either a crowded theater (best) or even one that's almost empty, there's something fantastically wonderfully goosebump raising about having the Star Wars main theme assault your senses moments after "Once upon a time...." fades out. I'd say that's a positive that all three of the prequels have going for'em. Same goes for the rest of the PM score - most of it sounded right...
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:41 PM       
You do us all a great service - we are in your debt.
Suicidal Chipmunk
JJ the Jetplane is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:58 PM       
I'm only 15, probably among the youngest of I-mockery readers, but in my young age, I haven't yet come to hate much of anything... I can watch most anything, and still find a way to enjoy it. I mean, i have watched some SERIOUSLY horrible movies, and still liked most of it, even if it was just because of the horrible acting. If you name any bad movie, I could watch it and enjoy to some degree. Is that a bad thing, or am I just too young to know better at this point?
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce Moose View Post
But I really did like Episode III, legitamately!
Not after I'm through with it, you won't.
Last of the Time Lords
Doctor_Who is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM       
Thing I liked:
Watto not falling for the stupid Jedi mind trick. And Qui-Gon actually has the cojones to try again, like maybe it will work the second time. The look on his face when waving his hand and saying "accept credits you hovering bastard" inexplicably doesn't work is priceless. I imagine that's what it's like whenever a celebrity gets told "no".

Thing I hated:
Why the name all that is fucking holy could Qui-Gon and Obi Won not tell that Padme was the real queen and the queen was her freaking decoy?! These are guys who, when a wookie farts halfway across the galaxy, feel a "great disturbance in the force". They are mindreaders, goddammit! Figure it out!
nilus is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:56 PM       
Burn, I don't collect the cans, but I love the people that do. I got really lucky and found a gold Yoda can and sold it on Ebay for like 400 bucks.

As far as the prequels go. Maybe I am blinded by my love of Star Wars but I still find all three watchable. At the very leasts for the sabre fights.
The Magnificent Bastard
Tetsu Deinonychus is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:21 PM       
I don't think the prequels were quite as bad as everyone says they are. (We are talking 20+ years of hype, after all).

They really weren't as good as the original trilogy. Or that good, at all. But, Hollywood has vomited much worse abominations at us.

Also, some of the more thorough "Things Wrong with the Prequels" lists include things only the most devout Star Wars geek would give a ghost of a shit about.

For example, the made-up alien gibberish language in the prequels being different from the made-up alien gibberish language in the originals.

This article, on the other hand, was quite enjoyable and ridiculed true flaws that really deserve it.
Fanboy
Purple Man is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM       
I love these articles. I know the prequels are basically crap, but I do salvage some good times from them. They're not unwatchable, in my opinion; just annoying.

My favourite mo in TPM: the parent-and-child Jawas who we see watching the podrace, jumping and whooping as the racers go by. Like the Tusken Snipers, it was a two-second nod to the hardcore fans.

Yet there's so much to hate - least favourite mo would be THAT BLOODY KID. God how I hated him.

Eagerly awaiting the next article.
Can't touch this
El Sammo is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM       
Time for some Super-Nerdery! It makes sense to me that the Sith would only have two members. The Jedi have been running a holocaust basically on the Sith for fucking millenia. The Sith used to have a massive amount of members, just like the Jedi, but then they pretty much got wiped out. The Sith keep such a low membership so that they can stay under the Jedi radar and run a guerilla campaign against them. If there were a hundred Sith on Coruscant instead of just Palpatine, they'd be found out and destroyed. Remember how Anakin is supposed to "balance the Force"? And then remember how he helps Palpatine kill all the Jedi? After the Jedi cleansing, there are only TWO left; Yoda and Obi-Wan. How many Sith are there? TWO; Vader and Palpatine. Therefore balancing the Force. End my geeky tirade and my horrible grammar.
The Riddle Pimp
Mystik Tomato is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM       
That spider chair is badass. Apparently it also works as a hologram projector.
Crazed Techno-Biologist
Dungeonbrownies is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:29 PM       
its because at the time he finally failed and went feeble minded, i mean looking at his former works and well writtens cripts, i feel his "reworking" of the originals [the ones whe wrote before part 4 and subsequently of the more recent films] to fit what he thought fans wanted, he ruined it.

and with the thing with the jedi having a ton and the sith having ONLY two, it makes sense later on.
there used to be like, equalish amounts until they got wiped out for being kinda evilish.
but then, they got what they had coming and it all got rebalanced.
Pretty much why Obi wan had to die, so that anakin could take HIS place and rebalance it all.

i think.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystik Tomato View Post
That spider chair is badass. Apparently it also works as a hologram projector.
Yes, but one must be careful not to sit on it while it is projecting a hologram, lest one have a HOLOGRAM WHERE A HOLOGRAM SHOULD NOT BE!
Forum Virgin
ninjaguy is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:56 PM       
there is only one thing that i hate about the prequels with all my heart...
Jar jar Binks!
Fish-Waffle
Burn is probably a spambot
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 01:42 AM       
When did Phantom come out, '99?
Jar Jar's hijinks and antics delighted me when I saw the film opening weekend. In any case, it's not really that difficult to impress a ten-year-old. =[
As u wish...
bountyhunterseven is probably a spambot
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 01:46 AM       
....crossing fingers, eyes closed...(please mention how cool Jango Fett's pistols sounded in AToC! please mention how cool Jango Fett's pistols sounded in AToC!)
Smooth Operator
Terrible-D is probably a spambot
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 02:12 AM       
Are midichlorians an std? Like space-crabs.

I just like to pretend that these prequels don't exsist. I'm happy with the original trilogy.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 02:41 AM       
I wish George Lucas had never made the prequels.
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 03:39 AM       
Let me tell you, it actually was a thrill when Phantom Menace came out and my boyfriend and his best friend won tickets for us to go see it at a midnight showing. Watching through it the first time was a trip, although it was possible to see some of the glaring flaws even then (the "accidental" explosion of the control ship, for example), but JarJar didn't get annoying until about the third watch-through (I worked at a store where we could show movies and that was one they found 'acceptable for in-store play.') I'm not raving mad about the prequels (I've never been a die hard Star Wars fan, I just like them.) but I can agree that they don't live up to the originals. Most sequels (heh) never do.

Personally, I found more flaws in the second movie than the first (and I've yet to see the third). I'm curious to see if any of my dislikes make the list.
Enginseer
Mac Brookman is probably a spambot
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 03:57 AM       
Thanks for taking one for us again Proto.

Can't we just try to forget about these prequels and pretend they never happened? Ignorance can be bliss sometimes.