Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Big Red Cat
Roggs is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 02:05 AM        Condemned
Just finished playing Bloodshot (Condemned 2).

Anyone else played Condemned 1 or 2? I think it's a pretty great series and has one of the best developing plots in gaming. If I had one gripe about the series, it's that I wish there was more of the crime scene investigation stuff, because that's what really sets it apart from other survival horror/ shooter games.
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 10:21 AM       
Condemned 2 is a nice game, agreed, but inferior to part 1 in terms of story and suspense I think. It´s nowhere near as scary as part 1.

The new battlesystem is quite enjoyable though, but sadly takes away a lot of the threat I felt in the first one. Ethan is a killing machine this time...oh and FPS-Mode is just ridiculously easy.

Another thing is the dramatic increase in available firearms this time...almost 3 whole levels consist of mostly firefights, which is a bit strange for a game like that I think.
The unlockables are a mixed bag...most are great, one is crap and the last one is...well just for the last level, since you cannot play through, say, level 2 with the unlockable from level 6. I really don´t like that and I´d say it´s a design-mistake.

All in all I would say it´s a decent game, plays better than the first one, but lacks in the Athmosphere-department. Oh and the ending sucked.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM       
I disagree on the plot. It feels more like they handed the series off to a different set of developers with different story ideas.

If you take the first game by itself, the story is really ambiguous. They make it seem like the craziness in the city is being caused partly by some kind of old pesticide poisoning people and birds and such, but by the end of the game, you're fighting monsters with escrima sticks.

Then in the second game, they basically explain everything to you. They've left it open for another sequel, but the storytelling is a little uneven. It almost reminds of the way the narrative works in Bioshock, only they stretched it over two games.

taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 12:57 PM       
i really liked number on mostly for how brutal it was i loved the story but in the end something escapes me
Spoilers!

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 03:36 PM       
Spoilers!

The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 04:28 PM       
So, better or worse than the first game? I didn't think it was an incredible game by any means, but I really enjoyed the first condemned. It was a relatively smooth paced game with a pretty creepy atmosphere.

That was very funny. Well done.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 05:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
Spoilers!
guess i'm gonna have to play number 2

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Big Red Cat
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 02:59 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
I disagree on the plot. It feels more like they handed the series off to a different set of developers with different story ideas.

If you take the first game by itself, the story is really ambiguous. They make it seem like the craziness in the city is being caused partly by some kind of old pesticide poisoning people and birds and such, but by the end of the game, you're fighting monsters with escrima sticks.

Then in the second game, they basically explain everything to you. They've left it open for another sequel, but the storytelling is a little uneven. It almost reminds of the way the narrative works in Bioshock, only they stretched it over two games.
My guess is that Condemned (or at least Ethan Thomas's tale) will be a trilogy. In that sense, I think it's a good thing that they started giving us some of the answers (lest it become the video game equivalent of Lost). I think a lot of it is still ambiguous, though.

Spoilers!

I also think that Condemned's narrative structure is better than Bioshock; this game has characters and story in addition to a creepy environment.

Besides, even if the development styles from a 2005 game to a 2008 is a little uneven, it's still pretty compelling.
Big Red Cat
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 03:02 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
So, better or worse than the first game? I didn't think it was an incredible game by any means, but I really enjoyed the first condemned. It was a relatively smooth paced game with a pretty creepy atmosphere.
Tough to say either way. I think I liked the second one more for the combat and CSI upgrades, but you could really make strong cases for both.

The important thing is that they're both good. If you liked the first one, then definitely play the second.
Funky Dynamite
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 12:00 PM       
I do think the sequel is better than the original. They expanded melee combat a lot with the combo and chain attacks, there's a much better mechanic for gunfights, and they at least tried something different with the ranked investigations, for better or worse.