Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Art
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:18 PM       
It would have to be put out right away before the goth fad goes completely under.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:18 PM       
After overwhelming positive feedback, which I appreciate, I decided to make it public.

http://torrifica.blogspot.com/2008/05/mr-wonderful.html
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:12 PM       
Just wanted to know if anything is going on. Not that I want to pry or anything.
noob 4eva
maggiekarp is probably a spambot
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:31 PM       
Eh... Maybe I'm just having a hard time visualizing it, but the story didn't really... grab me. I'll keep this bookmarked though, might get some inspiration.

Don't get mad if I proofread it!

[edit]Ah, finally pinned down why it didn't grab me. Try not to be offended, now!

It's trying to hard to be dark and edgy. It's overly goth. You've definitely got talent and skill as a writer, but this subject matter and execution is just... BLEAH. You could probably keep a similar concept and style, but instead of doing the "Oh it's a gruesome murder in the style of a kids' book AREN'T I SO VERY WEEEIRD?" you could go for kids' book with nightmare fuel or deranged undertones.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:14 PM       
I'm never offended by opinions; I know that every work anybody writes or draws will be adored by some and loathed by others. Accessibility, however, is key.

I'm making it overtly horrible. That was one of my goals, to create to contrasting things; the macabre and children's books (a la Rainbow House.) I thought it'd be a riot. Of course, making a genuinely dark children's book would be interesting, too. I remember have nightmares because of Nemo in Slumberland. I just had the idea for a guy with Down's Syndrome named Mr. Wonderful, who was an ice cream man. Obviously that idea didn't translate quite as well when I wrote it down, so I reworked it. I once read that true horror was the everyday made strange, so I like to kinda reflect that with my words. Not that this is meant to be very scary. I find material like it hilarious.

I'm doing more serious shit in a bit. I've got the plot of another story worked out, I just need the dialogue. I've got a few pages of it penned and it should be done in about a week. If ya haven't read my blog, it's about bad things that happen to good people, with a little supernatural bit thrown in on the end so that it... well, I should say no more. I want to elaborate, but not until ye've read it for yourself.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:08 AM       
I've been doodling some things. I didn't know he was supposed to have downs though.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:12 AM       
He wasn't really but that's how I saw him in my mind. Grislygus showed me a bit and his looks excellent, even without the Down's.

The character right now in the story does not have anything wrong with him, save the fact that he seems too normal.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:02 PM       
I'm kind of stumped by the more gruesome bits at the moment, but I'm intent on finishing the set

Really still not sure that what I'm doing is right for it, though, so it'll be a help that other people are working on it
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM       
What I was drawing looks really 70s, and then I realized it looked like a caricature of Helga's dad from Hey Arnold. Can I see what you're doing, Gus?
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:41 PM       
Sure, I already scanned in a preliminary sketch to send to fathom

The Wrong Melon Farmer

Old May 27th, 2008, 02:59 PM       
Holy shit. How completely in another direction.

Ancient Mariner
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:43 PM       
Yours fits better, I think, I was figuring on a pastel colored Easter kind of deal
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM       
I wouldn't know which to use more.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM       
So what exactly are you guys planning here? Are Grisylgus and Sacks going to collaborate, alternating from page to page or are you both going to draw your own versions of the story?

I wish I could join in on this but I just don't have the proper tools to do anything worthwhile. Just for laughs, this is how I envisioned Mr. Wonderful before I read the story, only knowing the title.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:26 PM       
Looks pedo-rific to me. I dunno.

A collaborative thing would be nice if I could get my act together and organize better. A page-by-page thing would be cool.
Ancient Mariner
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:29 PM       
To tell you the truth, I don't really see the page-by-page thing working as a whole, especially since they're so completely different so far, but I think it's pretty obvious we can both crosshatch like nobody's business.

My problem is that I tend to almost entirely obliterate the highlights in favor of texture, making my characters less interesting...

...So my backgrounds generally are better than the subjects (see the cat picture in the Art Chat thread). So I think it would be pretty cool for him to do the characters in each scene and have me draw the backgrounds around them.
Ancient Mariner
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:34 PM       
King Hadas, you don't need any real tools to work with, All I use are precise rolling ball pens
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:57 PM       
I haven't gotten to the point where I'm working with ink yet. How much do those ball point pens your talking about cost?

When I say tools I mean I don't have anything to digitalize my art with. I don't have a scanner and I don't know anyone with working scanner. I suppose they're other avenues I could pursue but then the whole thing turns into a chore.
Ancient Mariner
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:58 PM       
You can generally get sets of four for a few dollars
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:21 PM       
I think you doing the backgrounds and Sacks doing characters would be a fantastic idea. The only thing I ask is that they be fairly high resolution, so that when they print out, it'll look nice.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 07:33 PM       
Uuhhhh bump

Can anyone draw a pair of obnoxiously retro headphones?

And a flashlight that emits darkness.

And a steampunky electric cablecar/trolley/tram thing.

I also need a load of iron girders hanging from a crane, like at a construction site or something.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 09:49 PM       
GOD YOU JUST TAKE AND TAKE DON'T YOU
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:31 PM       
ONLY FROM THOSE WILLING TO GIVE THEIR ALL, SACKS
Ancient Mariner
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 05:14 PM       
What do you need them FOR, I still think that Sacks has a better bead on all things Mr. Wonderful
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 03:26 PM       

I could not help myself.