Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 02:57 PM        W. turns down invite to speak at NAACP convention
Which makes him the first president since Hoover to miss speaking at the NAACP convention at least once during his term of office.
TOP CHEF
Stabby is probably a spambot
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 03:55 PM       
Well, when (I think it was around) 90% of the black population don't like you, can you blame him?
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:32 PM       
Max, did you know he actually is planning on going on a whistle stop tour of black churches?

The reason he skipped the NCAAP is because

1) It is a death trap politically speaking

2) Does the NCAAP really connect with the black community anymore?

Of course, I wanted to start a topic on this year's black vote, but you got the ball rolling here.

I was watching the news, and saw that 1/3 of new black voter registrations are Independant. The Dems also lost about 15% of the black vote according to recent polls (ya, polls are bullshit, but still this has to raise a red flag).

Two other things to keep in mind:

1) More black men went to jail on federal charges under Clinton than Reagan and Bush I combined. You can say Kerry has nothing to do with this, but how does it reflect the image of the Democrats in general?

2) Bush II has more minorities in high ranking positions than any other American president.
TOP CHEF
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 11:57 AM       
Quote:
Bush criticizes NAACP leaders

Items compiled from Tribune news services
Published July 11, 2004

YORK, PENNSYLVANIA -- President Bush leveled an unusual attack on the NAACP's leaders Friday, saying his relationship with them has deteriorated to the point that it scarcely exists.

Bush chose not to attend the NAACP's annual convention, which begins this weekend. He is the first president in more than 70 years who has not attended a convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

"There are a lot of people I admire in the NAACP," Bush said. But he added, "I describe my relationship with the current leadership as basically non-existent because of their rhetoric."

NAACP President Kweisi Mfume said he is disappointed in Bush's decision.
The reason he skipped the NAACP is because he disagrees with what some of the members say. How can you run a country if you just ignore all criticism that comes your way?
Mocker
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 12:11 PM       
So, me, Max, Kevin, and AChimp (all hypothetically) say mean shit about you all day and night.

The club we run is throwing a party and you are invited to speak and its going to be displayed very prominetly in the media. What is your response?
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 12:26 PM       
Will Chimp put out?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 12:48 PM       
Darn tootin'.
Mocker
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 01:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Lover
Will Chimp put out?
Doesn't he always?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:44 AM       
Okay;

the NAACP is not a 'club'. Like them or not, Nixon, Reagan, And Bush snr. all paid their respects. Were those guys less savy than W? Or more phony? Or less colorblind? Or more synical? Or more, to use a Vinthism I really like, more 'pussified'? The ONLY argument you're making that would make a W. pass for his entire presidency is that the NAACP is significantly less relevant now than it was during his Dad's administration.

The fact that he's speaking to other black venues doesn't change that he's the the first President since Hoover to skip the NAACP.

Now, say, if he'd given a reason, I might even get behind that myself. But his official, stated reason is "Schedule conflicts". That's cowardly and it's a deliberate snub. It's washingtonspeak for 'screw you' said quietly enough not to alientate swing voters.

As far as the fate of American Blacks go. they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Dems take them for granted as a voting block and Republican policy actually damages them (when seen as a constituency, but that is what we're talking about here, no?).

So, do you go with the party that ignores you or the party that actively undermines you? It's a hard choice and one of the many, many reasons I'm very glad I was born white, the same kind of luck that had me born middle class and American.
TOP CHEF
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 04:09 PM       
It also says something about the state of his presidency. Bush is more willing to let a negative, potentialy damaging headline run across the country, than go before the NAACP and have to face some criticism and challenge. It's absurd that a presidential candidate should ignore the black population of the country because they don't tend to vote for his party.

Either he's a coward, or it's more damaging for him to bother trying to pander to the NAACP, or it is thinly-veiled racism to appeal to his base. I'm betting on all three.
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:19 PM       
"It's absurd that a presidential candidate should ignore the black population of the country because they don't tend to vote for his party." Stabby

He's not ignoring black America...

The NAACP is nothing more than an arm for democratic party. They are no different that Move On or any other liberal organization. Should Bush go speak with Move On too. Why give them any credibility?...they're juat a bunch of wackos who call him a murderer and wish him dead.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:34 AM       
Newsflash. You can really, really, really wish someone wasn't President of the United States and NOT wish them dead. Amazing, but true.

"Why give them any credibility?"

I don't know. It's a shame no one asked Ronald Reagan, who was a better president than W. Say, we could still ask Bush senior why he gave them credability.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 11:12 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Max, did you know he actually is planning on going on a whistle stop tour of black churches?
This is like saying there's no need to speak at a national NRA convention, because Bush will do a "whistle stop" tour of every Elks Lodge and VFW hall in Alabama and Michigan. The two aren't the same thing.

Quote:
The reason he skipped the NCAAP is because

1) It is a death trap politically speaking
I'd say that it has turned into more of an issue with him not atrnding. Going there, sticking to your guns, and perhaps even dealing with some of the jeering, would've been a classy move. It certainly would've shown some of this "integrity" I hear getting thrown around.....

Quote:
2) Does the NCAAP really connect with the black community anymore?
No more or less than the Southern Baptist Church, the Heritage Foundation, or the NRA connects with the American people. These are three VERY partisan organizations that had either Bush or Cheney address their membership within the last several months.

In defense of the NAACP, they boast an incredibly large membership, and are politically powerful. I don't think aggitators such as Strom Thurmond would've even made the mistake that the president just did.

Quote:
I was watching the news, and saw that 1/3 of new black voter registrations are Independant. The Dems also lost about 15% of the black vote according to recent polls (ya, polls are bullshit, but still this has to raise a red flag).
What 15% did they lose? When did they lose it? in 2000? 2002? I don't recall a big drop off, nor do I anticipate there to be one this November.

And the fact that 1/3 of the black vote has gone independent is a misleading figure. Is that all eligible voters, or merely those who vote....? Also, since the 1970s, the general population trend has been more people registering independent. More people register independent, but no third party ever really flourishes. One of the two main players still always wins, so people may be registering one thing, but their voting patterns probably tend to stay the same.

Quote:
1) More black men went to jail on federal charges under Clinton than Reagan and Bush I combined. You can say Kerry has nothing to do with this, but how does it reflect the image of the Democrats in general?
This is just wack. First of al, I'd like to see where you got these figures. Secondly, the majority of minorities who are in prison tend to be there for lesser federal violations, primarily due to draconian, racist drug laws. Blanco, you're a new yorker. Which party typically wants to modify the Rockefeller Drug Laws, the Democrats, or the Republicans...? Also, crime has steadily dropped throughout the 90s, whereas it had been higher under the Reagan and Bush I watch. How does your stat relate to that....?

Quote:
2) Bush II has more minorities in high ranking positions than any other American president.
Come on, Blanco. Please. Obviously, for reasons unnecessary to list, Bush II will have more minorities in his administration than the Jackson or Hoover administrations. These appointments are spiced with a taste of political showmanship, and you damn well know it.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 11:36 AM       
Here's what Junior W. thought about the NAACP when he was running for President.

"while some in my party have avoided the
NAACP, and while some in the NAACP have avoided my party, I'm proud to be here...I believe we can find common ground."

I guess he stopped believing that right after he got elected, since that was the last convention he showed up for. I guess he's also too polite to mention he's changed his mind or state his reasons. I guess the 'scheduling issues' thing is just Southern Manners. Unless he was lying that first time.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:20 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabby
The reason he skipped the NAACP is because he disagrees with what some of the members say. How can you run a country if you just ignore all criticism that comes your way?
I heard exactly what was said yesterday and, if I were in the President's position, I wouldn't want to speak in front of the NAACP either. it certainly didn't make them seem a fair, or even sane, organization.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:37 PM       
Would it be fair to say that Bush should of met with the NAACP during his four years as president but that because of recent attacks by members of the NAACP that it might be politically unwise to risk media coverage of being jeered by members of the NAACP?

On a side note one black girl in my class last year(senior year) got upset when we(me and a friend) said what the NAACP stood for and thought we were being racist. Then we made her look like a dumbass by pointing out it is a black organization that wants to call itself that.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:38 PM       
You don't think those comments were influenced in any way, by, say the fact that W. is the first President since HOOVER to turn down their invitations for the entire length of his presidency because of 'schedule confllicts'?

I don't see why W. was 'proud' to speak to them five year ago. If they hate him now, it might have something to do with whjat he's done in the intervening years. Or mybe he was just full of crap when he said he was 'proud', just doing the olitical rounds, and now he doesn't feel like he needs to. That would be fine with me if he had the spine to say so or say why. Instead he's like some snarky highschool cheerleader saying "Oh, Gosh, Darla, I'd really, really like to go to your party one of these years, but I'm SO busy."
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:47 PM       
there is no reasoning with bombthrowers of any ideology and the statements made by the "official spokesman" of the NAACP were of the worst sort. saying things like the Republicans are the "Taliban wing of the government" and that Bush supports the "Confederate swastika" not only makes little sense, but also provides little incentive for the President or ANY head of state to visit their organization.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:51 PM       
Okay, I missed those. Link me baby. I agree there's no reason for that, but it does sound kind of funny. See, I thought you were talking about the President of the NAACP's remarks, Sizeway Megajumbo or whatever the hell his name is, which were... Pointed, shall we say, but not precisely insane.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:58 PM       
Those attacks by the "official spokesman" are what I was referring to. I'll look for a link also.
Legislacerator
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:59 PM       
I actually saw it in a streaming video, but here's a link for you:

link

the article makes it seem a little more vague than it was in the clip, but the basic message is still there.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:27 PM       
That was nowhere near as bad as I was hoping.

The 'confederate swastika' he refers to is the symbol of the confederacy which is still incorporated in some state flags, although I have to say this is not a controversy I've really followed. I do, however feel Black folks have a right to resent the confederate flag. Hell, I resent it and my people were still being persecuted in Russia back when that flag had currency.

I think the 'party of Lincoln' might have a little insight into that, but it's also the party of the late Strom Thurmond. It's a big tent.

I think minorities in this country have no real reason to embrace the Democrats, but they sure as hell have reason to run from the Republicans. If W. had made a practice of at least showing for what is still the biggest civil rights organization in America, Bond's rhetoric might have been kinder, but since W has made it clear he doesn't give a damn, why mince words?
Legislacerator
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:36 PM       
I think it was couched a little more tactfully in the article.

but coming from the largest civil rights organization in America, such blatent polemic serves only to marginalize and hinder their agenda.

that aside, I like Mfume. :D
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:40 PM       
The 'Taliban wing of the Reublican party' line the press is bruting about even as we speak is actually from a 2001 speech by Bond, before the 9/11 attacks.

"At the 2001 convention, which was held before the September 11 attacks, Bond sharply criticized some of Bush's political appointments, saying that he "selected nominees from the Taliban wing of American politics, appeased the wretched appetites of the extreme right wing and chosen Cabinet officials whose devotion to the Confederacy is nearly canine in its uncritical affection."
-AP wire
Legislacerator
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:45 PM       
true enough.

Bond is the kind of man who would try to supercede the democratic process and legislate through the courts. he is reactionary and has no place in the leadership of the NAACP. I can understand why President Bush wouldn't want to speak in front of his sort of organization.

Mr. Mfume, however, is a very intelligent, rational man. I can understand that the President is quite busy, but I think it would help his campaign to meet with him and tout that to the press.