Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 04:54 PM        the police want to watch you shit
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...e_Cameras.html

Houston eyes cameras at apartment complexes

By PAM EASTON
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

HOUSTON -- Houston's police chief on Wednesday proposed placing surveillance cameras in apartment complexes, downtown streets, shopping malls and even private homes to fight crime during a shortage of police officers.

"I know a lot of people are concerned about Big Brother, but my response to that is, if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it?" Chief Harold Hurtt told reporters Wednesday at a regular briefing.

Houston is facing a severe police shortage because of too many retirements and too few recruits, and the city has absorbed 150,000 hurricane evacuees who are filling apartment complexes in crime-ridden neighborhoods. The City Council is considering a public safety tax to pay for more officers.

Building permits should require malls and large apartment complexes to install surveillance cameras, Hurtt said. And if a homeowner requires repeated police response, it is reasonable to require camera surveillance of the property, he said.

Scott Henson, director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Police Accountability Project in Texas, called Hurtt's building-permit proposal "radical and extreme" and said it may violate the Fourth Amendment's protections against unreasonable searches.

Andy Teas with the Houston Apartment Association said that although some would consider cameras an invasion of privacy, "I think a lot of people would appreciate the thought of extra eyes looking out for them."

advertising
Such cameras are costly, Houston Mayor Bill White said, "but on the other hand we spend an awful lot for patrol presence." He called the chief's proposal a "brainstorm" rather than a decision.

The program would require City Council approval.

absolutely chilling if true

you know what else Houston has?

black peoples
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM       
what, is it because I find black people horrifying?

Alive is probably a spambot
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:27 PM       
Bush country= texas

Hmm, houston= texas

Most probable place to test further evasive policing and "controlling" action's on our citizen's and there city's = texas.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:15 PM       
Because clearly, this has nothing to do with Houston's decline in officers.

No, the NSA is behind this.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:23 AM        Re: the police want to watch you shit
Quote:
. . .if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it?

and that you find a whole race of people to be "horrifying" is sickening, as well, italian.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:03 AM       
I don't know if that idea is as ridiculous as people make it out to be really. As long as the police don't change their purpose from policing a criminal code that doesn't include any really unjust laws, like 'appearing to have suspicious opinions', then it probably isn't an entirely unreasonable measure to put surveillance cameras in public areas like downtown streets.

Really, I don't see why you'd think the government is trying to unjustly 'control' your actions by installing police surveillance in public areas. As long as the police only enforce reasonable laws, I don't see how it matters how much they can see you do in public areas.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:14 AM       
Quote:
"I know a lot of people are concerned about Big Brother, but my response to that is, if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it?"
has anyone ever found a flaw in this logic?
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:19 AM       
The slight flaw of who decides what actions are wrong.

Plus I break the law all the time, so screw the cameras.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:59 AM       
Sting is a freaky dude. As if it's not bad enough that him and Trudie are tantric swingers, now he wants to go on the shit patrol?
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 02:11 AM       
But if the people who decide on what's wrong are already really wrong then you're already in a bad situation whether you have police surveillance or not. In a situation where the government has made really bad decisions about what to punish, there are plenty of bad things things that will happen whether you have public surveillance or not. Grudging asshole informers come to mind.
Legislacerator
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:35 AM        Re: the police want to watch you shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie
Quote:
. . .if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it?

and that you find a whole race of people to be "horrifying" is sickening, as well, italian.
someone needs to tune her smartass detector ;<
Legislacerator
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:37 AM       
it's not so much that they want to install cameras in public places, which I might actually support, it's the implications of this little bit here

Quote:
And if a homeowner requires repeated police response, it is reasonable to require camera surveillance of the property, he said.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:29 PM       
don't even try. you know you're a complete racist homophobe redneck barfighter dude. :O pretty princess, my arse. :O
homoperfect is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 09:52 PM       
See, I find the whole thing humourous. If the government finds a need to watch me twenty-four-seven then yes I'd be a bit disturbed. In the same sense I'd find confort that a homophobic government is watching lots of Homosexual action. with this I am well pleased.(as well as humoured.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:14 PM       
Wait....you're gay????