Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:16 PM        Broadcaster Pat Robertson calls for retirement of justices
http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/07/15/ro....ap/index.html

VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia (AP) -- Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson urged his nationwide audience Monday to pray for God to remove three justices from the Supreme Court so they could be replaced by conservatives.

"We ask for miracles in regard to the Supreme Court," Robertson said on the Christian Broadcasting Network's "The 700 Club."

Robertson has launched a 21-day "prayer offensive" directed at the Supreme Court in the wake of its 6-3 June vote that decriminalized sodomy. Robertson said in a letter on the CBN Web site that the ruling "has opened the door to homosexual marriage, bigamy, legalized prostitution and even incest."

The same letter targets three justices in particular: "One justice is 83-years-old, another has cancer and another has a heart condition. Would it not be possible for God to put it in the minds of these three judges that the time has come to retire?"

Judging from the descriptions, Robertson was referring to Justice John Paul Stevens, who was born in 1920, and Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who had colon cancer surgery in 1999. The identity of the third justice was unclear.

-----------------------------

What a fucking moron. I can't understand idiots like this who don't understand why having a BALANCE is a good thing. I certainly would never want all the conservative justices replaced with liberal ones. But maybe that's because I'm not a fucking cretin.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:30 PM       
I think it's kind of sweet he didn't just pray the three Justices die. I think Pat's mellowing.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:55 PM       
I LOVE this picture too.

Mock posted it in the picture captions/photoshop thread, right where it belongs.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:57 PM       
God, he looks like a bad Alfred E. Newman cartoon.
The_voice_of_reason is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 02:17 PM       
Pat Robertson is the most evil man in the world.

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 04:07 PM       
Here is CBN's rhetoric regarding it: http://www.cbn.com/special/supremeco...edgetopray.asp

Apparently, they hold the Founders in such high regard yet REFUSE to accept seperation of church and state which was put in there BY the Founders; a case of selective of selective hearing.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 04:37 PM       
You know, Robertson is looking kinda old... isn't it about time that HE retires?
The_voice_of_reason is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 04:50 PM       
Let's all join hands and pray that God will speak to the heart of Pat Robertson.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 08:48 PM       
Let's all join hands and hope that Pat Robertson gets "called home"

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 09:23 PM       
COSMO!!!

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 09:55 PM       
There is no seperation of church and state in the Constitution... why wont you all realize that?

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:12 PM       
Again ignoring the implications of case law and the interpretation of the 1st amendment vince. Wow, aren't you a winner.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:26 PM       
Hey, if he interprets the Bible literally, why not everything else? :P
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 02:00 AM       
Pat Robertson is a piece of garbage.

CastroMotorOil is probably a spambot
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 02:23 AM       
From what i understand vince is right on this one. As far as i know the concept of seperation of church and state is not in the constitution, it is a precedent that has been created by the supreme court. Correct me if im wrong.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 09:48 AM       
AMENDMENT I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Zorak, a sound policy would be this: Whenever you think Vince might be right about something, pause to remind yourself of everything else that Vince has ever posted here, and you'll likely find that Vince is, yet again, wrong.

Congress making any law endorsing or prohibiting, or even pertaining to, the practice of any religion is unconstitutional. This is what is commonly referred to as the Separation of Church and State. The Supreme Court has upheld this time and again over the last two centuries, so I'd say it's a law that's got a leg to stand on.

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 10:25 AM       
Wow, I must have this uncanny ability TO READ WORDS THAT FORM A SENTENCE AND THEN GET THE MEANING FROM THOSE WORDS, because I don't see "seperation of church and state" ANYWHERE in that phrase!

Now, I know sspadowski isn't... smart, but let me break it down for you:

Congress can not establish a state religion. Congress can not tell a private person, company or anything that is SEPERATE from the state how they can worship.

Now, does that mean the Ten commandment cannot sit at a courthouse? No, it doesn't. That is not establishing a religion, because the Ten Commandments sitting there is not the govt saying "We respect the Judeo-Christian religious beliefs to be the ones that you should follow". It is a historical document from which Western Civilization has been based upon.

God Bless America sung in a school concernt is not respecting an establishment of religion. It is a group singing a song. Is the govt saying that everyone should respect the establishment of Judeo-Christanity with the song? Nope, it's not.

The only people that seem to not grasp this concept are the "free-thinkers" of our society who's twats get flared up everytime someone mentions God without mocking or insulting the concept of a Divine Being.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 10:37 AM        Re: Broadcaster Pat Robertson calls for retirement of justic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown
Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson urged his nationwide audience Monday to pray for God to remove three justices from the Supreme Court so they could be replaced by conservatives.
Maybe it's time for me to point out the law of Karma. If you wish good, good things will happen. If you wish bad, well, bad things will happen, but you it will strike you back in return.

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 10:44 AM       
Well, that would be true if Karma was an existant force. Most people say "Karma" to try and sound intellectual but most people just know it as "life."
Will chop you good.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 10:58 AM       
Quote:
because the Ten Commandments sitting there is not the govt saying "We respect the Judeo-Christian religious beliefs to be the ones that you should follow".
Actually, that's exactly what it's saying. Any government building or property that displays religious texts, symbols, etc., is effectively endorsing a religion. If they want to be fair, they can display texts and symbols from all known religions, but it's just easier to keep all that shit where it belongs- in churches, mosques, and temples.

By the bye, Vinny, I find it endlessly amusing that you imply intellectual superiority over me, despite your multitude of mangled nonsense that doesn't even pass for sentences, coupled with your inability to spell my name correctly when it's right in fucking front of you.

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:09 AM       
Oh wow, I don't spell your name right. That makes me a dumbass.
Will chop you good.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:10 AM       
Oh no, Vinny, not at all. Don't sell yourself short.

There are thousands of things that make you a dumbass, and they're all preserved on this website for our amusement.

You really gotta quit hanging 'em right over the plate like that, Vinny. It almost takes all the sport out of it. Almost.

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:20 AM       
Keep telling yourself that you are more intelligent than I am. You just may get to the point where you are convinced it's the truth.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:33 AM       
Intelligence aside, (which lets you neatly off the hook) he is a far nicer person than you, you joyless ghoul.
Will chop you good.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:43 AM       
DOLE!

There, there, Vinny. Don't take it personally. LOTS of folks are more intelligent than you are. Not to mention several kinds of primates and some breeds of dogs.