Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 06:24 PM        I need opinions.
I have another project that I'd describe as about 3/4-assed. I wanted to make my own snowglobe, only it would have a cherry tree in blossom in the middle and there would be petals floating instead of snow. Because I like cherry blossoms.

So I bought this (a kit that has basically everything but the stuff you put inside and the silicone to seal it, and the music box). And then I bought some tumbled green glass pebbles, because I wanted to use that for the ground.

And then I bought these (two 3" cherry trees). I'm a little irked at the place where I bought them because they charged me right away and told me they were on backorder. Long story. Anyway, I have them now.

So now I have all of the components and am trying to figure out how I should put them all together.

1) Should it be filled with water, mineral oil, or baby oil? Why?

2) If I use oil, will it degrade and corrode the items inside?

3) What should I use to protect them against this?

4) Can you recommend a good sealing silicone? I really don't want an oil leak all over a mantel or bookcase.

The thing is, I'm disappointed in the quality of the trees. The image on the website is a little misleading. The trees look like blobs of covered wire, which I was expecting, but the blossoms aren't durable or plastic-y. They look like someone stuck pink dryer fluff all over.

So how do I make this work?

Thanks.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:05 PM       
i think you should fill it with water since oil roots or gets all goey specially with weather changes as for sealing sillicone i have no idea since i haven't really used any

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:23 PM       
Kerosene, for safety reasons.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:44 PM       
If it were me, I would use the mineral oil. But mine would probably turn out like shit as I am pretty bad at craft stuffs.
Cranberry Everything
dextire is probably a spambot
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 08:07 PM       
1) Baby oil or mineral oil should both be fine. Just make sure it's unscented and I seriously doubt it will ever discolor\degrade.

2) I'd be more worried about the items you put into it discoloring the oil. As long as it's unscented, it should be no more harmful than water.

3) I'd soak everything in a jar of water for a few days just to make sure nothing leaks ink/dirt/lint etc.

4) Permatex Clear RTV Silicone. You can find it at just about any hardware store. Just make sure everything is the way you want it before using the stuff.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 08:19 PM       
Shouldn't you pre soak it in water ever you are using? Water and oil will separate and show in the globe.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 05:53 AM       
Use mineral oil - water is too light, and the petals would fall too quickly. Oil is more viscous and will allow the petals to lazily swirl and fall about the trunks. Mineral oil is also food-grade, so it would be safer than the topical variety. :rugrats

Also, I agree with ^^^ - don't soak it in water first, unless you dry the materials completely prior to filling and sealing. I think it would spoil the effect.

EDIT: Thanks Dex! I was looking for something like this.
You may already be there.

Last edited by Colonel Flagg : Jun 17th, 2011 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Just saw the link
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 11:29 AM       
I really typed water ever instead of whatever?