Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:43 PM        Iraqi Nerve gas found in lab
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=31905

BIOLOGICAL WAR-FEAR
Report: U.S. troops
exposed to nerve gas
Dozens of soldiers undergo testing as Army lab detects sarin biotoxin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: April 7, 2003
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

More than a dozen U.S. soldiers have been evacuated from an Iraqi military compound after tests by a mobile laboratory confirmed evidence of deadly sarin nerve gas, reports Knight Ridder News Service.

According to the report, members of the Army's 101st Airborne Division had been sent earlier for chemical-weapons decontamination after exhibiting symptoms of possible exposure to nerve agents.

A day of testing brought initial results of positive exposure, then negative; but a third round of sampling by an Army Fox mobile nuclear, biological and chemical detection laboratory confirmed the existence of sarin.

Sgt. Todd Ruggles, a biochem expert with the 2nd Brigade of the 101st Airborne told Knight Ridder "I was right" that chemical agents Iraq has denied having were present.

Shipmates on USS Nimitz instructed on chemical suits, gas masks

Not only were soldiers sent for decontamination, but a CNN cameraman, a Knight Ridder reporter, and two Iraqi POWs were reportedly hosed down with water and bleach.

The suspect chemicals were discovered at two sites: an agricultural warehouse loaded with 55-gallon chemical drums, and a military compound.

Soldiers who were guarding the military compound reportedly began vomiting, and experienced dizziness and skin blotches – all symptoms of exposure to small amounts of nerve agent.

Knight Ridder says chemical tests in the warehouse "came back positive for so-called G-Series nerve agents, which include sarin and tabun, both of which Iraq has been known to possess."

Hundreds of gas masks and chemical suits were also discovered, as well as a cache of ammunition.

Sarin, considered one of the most caustic nerve agents, can be inhaled or absorbed through the skin.

Those who tested positive were isolated, while the others were evacuated. Within an hour, those believed to have been exposed were hosed down by water trucks as troops lathered themselves with detergent and bleach.

"We do think there's stuff in this compound and the other (agricultural warehouse) compound, but we think it's buried," Elena Aravjo, a first lieutenant with the 63rd Chemical Company told Knight Ridder. "I'm really suspicious of both of those compounds."

The ranking officers, including Col. Joseph Anderson, Brig. Gen. Benjamin C. Freakley and Maj. Gen. David H. Petraeus, made no official comment about suspected nerve agents.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:49 PM       
Not that this isn't quite possibly correct, but you should champ at the bit less, in case it's turns out to be wrong.

This is still just a report of a report. There's been no secondary confirmation, no investigation, and of three test it's come back negative convincingly enough once that the army posted unprotected troops at the sight. Unless at some point they were pretty certain there was nothing there, that would be a pretty crappy thing to do to US servicemen. If they were that certain there were no nerve agents there before, I'll wait for confirmation there are nerve agents there now.
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:24 PM       
"Smoking gun" WMD site in Iraq turns out to contain pesticide
1 hour, 38 minutes ago Add Mideast - AFP to My Yahoo!

NEAR NAJAF, Iraq (AFP) - A facility near Baghdad that a US officer had said might finally be "smoking gun" evidence of Iraqi chemical weapons production turned out to contain pesticide, not sarin gas as feared.

A military intelligence officer for the US 101st Airborne Division's aviation brigade, Captain Adam Mastrianni, told AFP that comprehensive tests determined the presence of the pesticide compounds.

Initial tests had reportedly detected traces of sarin -- a powerful toxin that quickly affects the nervous system -- after US soldiers guarding the facility near Hindiyah, 100 kilometres (60 miles) south of Baghdad, fell ill.

Mastrianni said: "They thought it was a nerve agent. That's what it tested. But it is pesticide."

He said a "theatre-level chemical testing team" made up of biologists and chemists had finally disproved the preliminary field tests results and established that pesticide was the substance involved.

Mastrianni added that sick soldiers, who had become nauseous, dizzy and developed skin blotches, had all recovered.

The turnaround was an embarrassment for the US forces in the region, which had been quick to say that they thought they had finally found the proof they have been actively looking for that Iraq (news - web sites) was hiding weapons of mass destruction.

A spokesman for the US army's 3rd Infantry Division, Major Ross Coffman, had told journalists at Baghdad's airport that the site "could be a smoking gun".

"We are talking about finding a site of possible weapons of mass destruction," he added.

The fact that the coalition forces have come up with no clear evidence of WMD after capturing much of Iraq in 19 days of fighting has raised questions over the war's justification.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:39 PM       
Thank you, sir.

All I will say on the matter at this point is that we are currently running tow for two, ie. two negative results and two positive. The fact that the most recent negative is turned in by a "Theatre level testing Team" should lend it more credence than the other results, but readers should wait, I think, for independent investigation and analysis before being sure.

Both camps, the Iraqi's sure do have them WMD's, and the Iraqis have no WMD at all even in teeny weeny amounts should stop being so eager for the I told you so moment.

My prediction? Small amounts of pre-cursor materials will be found, and perhaps even some small weaponized agents. Not enough for a serious assault of any kind, but an indication Iraq lied. Debate will rage regarding if the evidence is real or planted, and if the amounts found are at all signifcant. But that's just my guess.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:55 PM       

Can't blame our troops for freaking out, I would've done the same, had I experienced such symptoms.

This, AGAIN however, shows 1. just how badly the media needs a headline in this soap opera, and 2. just how badly folks like Ronnie want this war to be justified.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:46 AM        Tough sell....
Kev,
In a way I guess I am one of those that wants it to be found too. However, I don't want those weapons to be found so desperately that I'm willing to forgoe common sense.

The circumstances surrounding the material they found seems a little seedy, the way it was dug in and somewhat hidden I guess you could say. I could maybe be convinced that at some point the material could have been used after manufacturing for sinister purposes, but I highly doubt that was the case here. It's a tough sell. Too easily refuteable.

It's kind of like O.J. Every knows he killed Nicole, but you just can't quite find that one damning thing to prove it completely. The stuff that has been weaponized is probably hid pretty well. I would guess underground. They aren't going to find shit in warehouses and palaces. The inspectors have already been there.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 10:07 AM       
I totally would have flipped out if it was me, no question, an I'm very glad it was treated with seriously. The media could have been cautious in HOW they reported it.

I think what;s instructive here is Naldo, in his role as a reflection of mindless media consumption. He's posted since this post was found to be without merit, but that holds no interest for him. He doesn't care to comment or even think about it, and like W. he thinks himself infallible.

Naldo, if that's not true, please feel free to post any instance in which you were wrong about something and changed your mind. Of course Ronnie will say he was just posting the artcle and had no feelings about it's veracity and didn't chose to post that one over any other for any reason at all, but that stinks like what it is.

And here's a shocker for you Nalds. I hope they do find WMD in Iraq, and lots of it. Why? Because then it would mean that all the death and destruction my tax dollars went to wasn't completely useless and didn't completely demean everything I believe our country stands for.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 10:10 AM       
CONSPIRACY!

CONSPIRACY!!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 11:43 AM       
How was I wrong Maxi, I was just bringing the news to I-Mockery.

If you want to blame someone, blame Worldnet Daily.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:02 PM       
" Of course Ronnie will say he was just posting the artcle and had no feelings about it's veracity and didn't chose to post that one over any other for any reason at all, but that stinks like what it is."
-Me

"How was I wrong Maxi, I was just bringing the news to I-Mockery. "
-Naldo

Hogwash Naldo. You're not the AP wire. You chose speciffic stories for speciffic reasons. And I already have faulted the press. Your process of selection means you commit the same iresponsability and then compound it multiple times. While I find you simple, you are nowhere near as simple as you as you would like us to believe you are. No one here "Just brings the news to I-mockery".
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:15 PM       
Nobody here can be faulted for news discrepancies.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:23 PM       
Are you trying to convince me that you actually are as simple as you are trying to appear?

It's not the poor journalism I'm faulting (actually I do fault it, but I certainly don't blame you for it), it is your decision to choose it from among multiple news stories posting almost constantly, copy it and paste it here in a lathered frenzy.

Your action, not the story, shows
A.) An Eagerness to be proven right that is unseemly
B.) An inability to acquire the virtue of patience even in the face of a series of repetitions that if they were electric shocks a rat couold learn from.
C.) An unbending nature and unwarranted pride that will not allow you to admit you jumped the gun or even what your intentions were.
and
D.) An insulting estimation of the intelligence and credulity of your audience as demonstrated by A,B and C.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 01:26 PM       
BUMP

So Ronnie can show where his spine is.