Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM        RESIDENT EVIL 5
Play the demo now people. I can't describe how well the constant companion plays, its more complicated but not frustrating. Its fun, fast, and makes your heart race.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 07:46 PM       
I played though both levels of the demo and I had a couple of issues with it.

Firstly the good:
- Looks great.
- Cool enemies (chainsaw guy is probably my favourite that I saw, but the massive axe dude looked cool too).
- Decent scripted sequences.

Secondly the bad:
- Resident Evil has (and apparently always will have) really dreadful controls. I just can't stand how you need to run away from an enemy then spin round and shoot it. It feels so awkward. It's like controlling a walking turret or something.
I'm not saying it should just rip off something like Gears or Uncharted and I can see some merit in the awkwardness as it often inspires panic when you're being chased or whatever, but it makes playing such a chore.

- I have difficulty seeing what's going on. Half the screen is covered by your character and it's just annoying more than anything. The camera needs to be moved back a bit or something. Again I don't know if they did this on purpose to make the experience feel more claustrophobic but even sitting 2 meters away from a 52 inch TV I still had moments where I couldn't see what the fuck was going on.

- I have a feeling that having a companion may lessen the tension of the game slightly. In previous/similar games the fact that you're alone adds to the experience.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 08:28 PM       
I don't think I could have been more underwhelmed. It's weird, 'cause I loved RE4. But it's so antiquated. I don't think there's anything about it that says it can't be released on the PS2.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 08:45 PM       
i liked it pretty fun on co-op

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
You asked, Chief.
BLEU is probably a spambot
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 10:39 PM       
No Resident Evil will be better than 2.
Banned
Microshock is probably a spambot
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvare View Post
i liked it pretty fun on co-op
Yeah me too, you really are looking out for your friend and yourself all the time...and not even because the game forces you to.

It seems like a game i'd get but not for 60 bucks, there really isnt any game i'd get for full price...other than killzone 2
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM       
I'll see you in the "Let's Argue About Video Games" thread about Killzone 2.
Banned
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM       
Do you mean that you're against killzone 2..or something?
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 03:11 PM       
A little.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 06:15 PM       
I tried the demo the other day. Frankly, I hate any game that forces you to have an AI partner, especially when you have to divide up your limited resources with them. I could deal with the partner aspect of RE4 because there were long periods without the partner, and if you wanted, you could just have her hide in a dumpster while you took care of things.

I was glad that she at least managed to avoid getting constantly injured, but whenever I gave her ammo, she would just shoot the zombies in the chest over and over again until she was out.

And the tradeoff for the addition of a partner and the realtime inventory system is that all the big zombies (axe guy, chainsaw guy, etc) are slower to react. I guess it's only a demo and they could wind up fine tuning stuff in the game, but I doubt they'll make any significant changes to the game. I'll probably just rent it.

Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 06:56 PM       
There is way too much ammo I thought. I was being forced to give it to her because my clips were always filling up. All of this seemed to pile up on the pressure for me, and I liked that. In addition to your partner finding and giving you items automatically is a tradeoff that seems to be working so far too.

My first impression was that an AI partner would totally suck, so I went into this thinking it was going to be awful, so I might be a little more in love with it than I should be just by my suprise factor on how much better it worked than it should have.

It also looks like people really get pissed when a game doesn't have tons of bloom lately, assuming the graphics aren't up to par. Not accusing anyone here, but I liked how sharp everything looked.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM       
I dig the setting, though. It looks nice.
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 03:17 AM       
Since this game is, as was Part 4, is not Resident Evil (and no, I don´t get tired of this discussion), I will dub it "Infected Shooter 2". And if I view it as another completely unrelated game, I can have fun with it. The controls are stiff and Muscleboy behaves like a tank (something they DID retain from the original titles) but I am still looking forward to playing it with a friend.
What I don´t like is, that they got rid of the merchants apparently, so you can just buy weapons and upgrades after each level (another thing they shouldn´t have done).

Finally, the setting: How much worse could it get I ask you? What setting could have been worse for such a game? A sunny flowergarden with bunnies, that´s what. Africa is VERY close to that.
Sunny bright levels. That is pretty much 100% pure Bullshit. IF1/RE4 at least got the setting right most of the time, but this time, they seem to throw everything out of the window just to be "fresh".
It will still be plenty of fun, but the good old days of the original series are obviously gone forever...which is sad.
Banned
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM       
I hate when every single horror FPS or genre does something in the dark, it's great that capcom is finally trying to make daytime scary. Something i wish they would try in most horror movies.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM       
I liked the idea of it happening during the daytime. I haven't played it but I read about the blur factor where if you run out from a dark alleyway into a bright sunny area your eyes need time to adjust. I'm sure it won't be just open areas during the daytime the whole way through either. RE4 had varied landscapes and it worked out well.
drifting in the void
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 02:50 AM       
The thing is...most of the things that are scary in the dark are not scary in the daylight. It´s only natural, it´s our time, no need to be scared.
At night, a Zombie is the symbol of the soulless soldier from hell, pushing forward for all eternity.
In the bright light of the african sun, it´s just a half rotten corpse, waiting to be disposed of.
And in case of IS2/RE5, it´s just some guy from a shantytown with an insect in his head...oooooh scary. Not.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 02:52 AM       
Yeah, that first scene in RE4 where it's the afternoon and you're getting attacked by a villageful of axe-wielding psychos and some guy with a chainsaw? Totally not scary.

The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 03:06 AM       
I really liked that part because it tossed you right into the action, but I didn't really get the resident evil feeling until at night when I started blowing off their heads and then tentacles came out at me

That was very funny. Well done.
You asked, Chief.
BLEU is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 03:09 AM       
So is
Spoilers!

And is that Chakan: The Forever Man?
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 03:40 AM       
It is.
Funky Dynamite
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 04:17 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
I really liked that part because it tossed you right into the action, but I didn't really get the resident evil feeling until at night when I started blowing off their heads and then tentacles came out at me
I guess. To me, the series has been more about the horrific monsters coming at you and the limited ammunition. Besides, you still see the monster stuff with the villagers when you pop their heads off. I remember being freaked out early on when I blew the head off one, but then he pulled out another axe and continued to advance on me.

drifting in the void
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:27 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
Yeah, that first scene in RE4 where it's the afternoon and you're getting attacked by a villageful of axe-wielding psychos and some guy with a chainsaw? Totally not scary.
I would rather call it Panic-inducing. Itīs not scary in the "classic" sense. The Ganandos seem strange and potentially dangerous, given their numbers and Leonīs lack of decent weapons, but they are not scary. They are just some guys with hatchets that behave violently.

And for me, thereīs still a difference between

"Cloudy, dim light-afternoon in a rotten-somewhere-at-the-end-of-spain-village with a bunch of people with red eyes you canīt figure out yet"

and

"Bright sunny noon in a dusty shantytown somewhere in Africa with a bunch of people with something you already know going on."

The Bagmen are partially scary because of the bags that conceal their faces and their unnatural strenght.

To me, thereīs a difference between scary and threatening. The Regenerators, those were scary (lack of face, twitching, non-human appearance).

Now REAL Zombies on the other hand have a lot more potential because normally they induce the fear of having your humanity, your mind stolen from you. One bite, and your done for, you WILL join them in their everlasting strife for flesh until someone puts you down or is bitten by you, spreading the plaque even further.
This doesnīt apply to the Resident Evil Series of course, since the enemies just kill you (with the two Outbreak games being the exception). Just wanted to point it out.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 07:17 AM       
But Zombies are old news. They've gone the way of the Model T. Sure, they can still get you places, but not as fast or frivolous as something new, exciting, fast and chainsawy.
drifting in the void
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 09:59 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost View Post
But Zombies are old news. They've gone the way of the Model T. Sure, they can still get you places, but not as fast or frivolous as something new, exciting, fast and chainsawy.
True, absolutely true, but Iīm a traditionalist when it comes to Zombies, I prefer mine slow, dumb and harmless

Thatīs what I liked about the old Resident Evil games: That cozy feeling you got. It was just nice, like an old couch. A bit smelly but very comfortable. Even back then I would always be disappointed when the "Zombie-Stage" of the game ended and they were replaced by Hunters and whatnot.
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 02:34 PM       
unggg. I want to play it.
I'm assuming this won't come out for Wii anytime soon.

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD