Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM        I am a god damn music philistine help me
For some reason I've always been sort of on the periphery of music. I have a hard time finding things I like, I guess because my taste is all gayed up as a result of being horribly sheltered or something. I want to get back into music the way I was a few years ago, before I pretty much stopped listening to it because I was living with people who were likely to be offended by the naughty lyrics in songs I was listening to and I hate wearing headphones.

Anyway I need some recommendations. You may feel free to judge me as a human being based on my musical tastes. Here's what I like:

Frank Zappa - I love basically 80% of what Zappa has done, which is an enormous amount of music. My favorite album is the Fillmore East June 1971 live album, and I love all of the Flo and Eddie stuff. Less so the weird 80s experimental synth jazz like Jazz from Hell.

The Beatles - of course. I don't care too much about their earlier pop band stuff but the White Album and Sgt. Pepper's are among my favorite albums ever.

Pink Floyd - yeah, given

Led Zeppelin - again

Pixies - I kind of go back and forth on Pixies because I seem to either love or hate their songs without much inbetween but I can't really identify quite what I like or don't like about any specific song. I guess it's dependent on my mood.

Lush - I love Lush. Again, less a fan of the more poppy stuff like Ladykillers and more into stuff like Light from a Dead Star and Monochrome. I've heard this genre described as "dreampop?" I'm really bad at describing music by genre so if you know what the fuck I'm going on about and can recommend other bands along these lines that would be c00l

My Bloody Valentine - I've only really listened to Loveless in any depth but god damn that album owns, with songs like Loomer in particular being a favorite.

I'm also interested in finding more music along the vein of songs like these:
Frank Zappa - Twenty Small Cigars
Deadly Premonition - In a Jazzy Mood (yes this is from a video game, but it's the best game ever, and it's the closest thing I can find to the 'mood' I'm looking for)

I don't know what kind of genre this would fall under. It's kind of like club jazz or something. Dark, and very bassy. I've had Miles Davis recommended to me so I'm going to try to get some of his albums.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 06:25 PM       
The absolute best advice I can give is to get an account on last.fm if you haven't already. Once you start working up a play count of the music you already listen to you can go through the band pages to find similar artists and get recommendations. I've expanded my narrow scope of about 60 bands in 5 years to over 200 more in about 10 months.

It's too bad you don't like the weirder side of Zappa as much because I have about a dozen recommendations People who like Zappa tend to like Mike Patton's projects like Mr. Bungle and Tomahawk, and other avantgarde-metal bands like Dog Fashion Disco, Polkadot Cadaver, and Tub Ring. But the Flo & Eddie era is more like a humorous take on classic rock and blues, so I don't know. Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits?

Yeah, Lush is considered dreampop, or "shoegaze", which is a genre I still don't fucking understand. My Bloody Valentine is similar. I would check out M83, Beach House, and The Brian Jonestown Massacre for starters maybe? If you like the electronic side of things you could try Stereolab or Broadcast.

I'll throw up some links later when I get the chance.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 08:15 PM       
Since you like Pixies, I would recommend Black Francis' (Frank Black) solo stuff. He's made a shitload of albums and there are some good ones among them. Genres range from pixies style rock to country-ish music. Easiest places to start would be the first two albums, Pistolero and Bluefinger.

EXAMPLE TIME!

If you wanna impress your hipster friends (if you have any), then you should start listening to Cardiacs. It's a very unique band with a unique sound. Also, their songs are catchy as hell. Their older stuff is a bit more progressive and the last few albums are a bit heavier overall. All of them are great though. If I had to recommend just one of their albums, it would be Sing To God.

HAVE AT YOU!

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 03:30 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim View Post
It's too bad you don't like the weirder side of Zappa as much because I have about a dozen recommendations People who like Zappa tend to like Mike Patton's projects like Mr. Bungle and Tomahawk, and other avantgarde-metal bands like Dog Fashion Disco, Polkadot Cadaver, and Tub Ring. But the Flo & Eddie era is more like a humorous take on classic rock and blues, so I don't know. Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits?
It's not that I dislike Zappa's weirder stuff, I just don't like Jazz from Hell very much and the synth stuff more generally has left me cold. I can appreciate Zappa's take on jazz but when it's done electronically it just comes out like a garbled mess.

edit: like if it gets to the point where I can't distinguish one song from another I don't feel like I "get" the music
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 04:41 PM       
Maybe you should dabble in other styles for a while.

☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 02:48 PM       
Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 06:48 PM       
I decided to go through my youtube favourites to jog my memory and try and fish some stuff out that I think you might like. I've tried to stick to safe choices, basically just rock songs, but if you've got feedback on a certain direction to go in based on any of these, or certain ones to stay away from, I'd be happy to recommend more obscure stuff.

And my two favourite Zappa songs, in case you don't know them: