Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 09:47 PM       
Quote:
I have done a few, but I seriously doubt I would ever do any again honestly.
Why not?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 10:44 PM       
Quote:
Trust me, I know her all too well and she would NEVER put out anything for sale that she wasn't satisfied with.
That's too bad because she could always say that the suckiness was part of the "meaning" or something.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 11:01 PM       
Jen - just had bad experiences with it
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 11:39 PM       
Well whatever. I'm just trying to say that you have the rare option of being able to turn your dream, and what you love doing, into something you can also live off of as a career. That's what I meant by working hard at it. You work hard at it on a personal level, but not a professional level.

And yes, it is luck. You're born with the love of making art, and the ability to realize that love.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 11:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doopa
Jen - just had bad experiences with it
Agh! Don't call me Jen! I hate that! Jen is for Jennifers. I am a Jeanette.
Anyway, I hope things work out for you...its a shame to see such a talented artist like yourself turned into just another cog in the Machine.

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 12:31 AM       
sorry lady! That's like when people pronounce my name Mary and then I stab them in the eye. Anyway thanks

I am not looking forward to this job shit tomorrow
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 01:18 AM       
Somebody deleted my post.

Either that or I stumbled drunkenly into a different thread again and posted.
TOP CHEF
Stabby is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 02:18 AM       
Quote:
And I can't beleive so many people are this miserable. Is this life? This is ridiculous. Why the hell does anyone bother
Yeah, everyone does. But the thing is no one shows it, so you end up thinking that you're the only one and that you need to get things figured out like everyone else does. But there is nothing to figure out. I hate the corporate world, I've worked in in it for only a couple years but it feels like my whole life. I want a new job but even the process of looking for a new job sucks. All the want ads sound the same: "motivated, demanding, go-getter" if I ever meet a "go-getter" Im gonna "go get me" my nine iron and beat their face into an unrecongizable mass then they can go get them an ambulance. And resumes and cover-letters! I can't think of a more generic, mass-produced way to promote minor scholastic achievements and offer vacant promises to faceless compainies who could care less. I estimate that around 80% of my cover letters have spent more time going through the shredder and possibly being used by hobos as toilet paper than they have spent in the hands of prospective employers. I wanna move far away but its hard to just pick up and leave... Right now Im just trying to get out of the 'same old job' rut and try something new...Look at me, your thread made me start bitching too.

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 02:19 AM       
you have the coolest name ever

*but that's about it

UnDeath is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 04:11 AM       
the reason why people seem to hate life is that they dread things, including the dread. Like my old job at Jack in the Box. I fucking hated it, but I liked hating it.
Anyways, Doopa, dont loose hope, I guess. So what if you're working for a corporation, you dont have to take pride in your drudgery. revel in the fact that you hate them and yet, they give you money. Take your frustration out on canvas or something. It really helps, and canvases are much cheaper than drum heads, so its ok to stab em. And, I dunno, make Rog get in the kitchen and make you a pie.
bah, you've probably already heared this rant a million times. Oh well.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 04:31 AM       
I think just about one of the biggest luxuries in life is having a job you enjoy- and not many people get to do that. I worked shit corporate jobs for years, and it was hell on earth, but if you persevere and have a small amount of luck you can end up with something that isnt so bad. I work two jobs and both of them are really quite reasonable, even though one of them is for just about the largest corporation in the UK. I never thought I would see the day where I would be in a situation like that, ie really not minding going to work in the morning.
I really hope you can make a living from your art, but sometimes this is a double edged sword....I know a few people who make a living from freelance artistic endeavors, and sometimes it can be really really tough. My philosophy is that if you have to rely on something you truly love to survive, it can potentially kill any enjoyment you get from it. I found that with music at any rate. As soon as I stopped trying to do it 'professionally' I enjoyed it SO much more. Of course if you can make some money from it without having to make a living from it, its the best of both worlds.
Hang in there re, you are not alone in your situation. Don't let the bastards grind you down!
And farming is really, REALLY hard work. Plus you have to get up at like 4 in the morning and work all day.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 07:37 AM       
My philosophy is that if you have to rely on something you truly love to survive, it can potentially kill any enjoyment you get from it.

There's definitely truth to that. She hates her latest piece that she just posted in the art forum last night. Being a Warcraft fan, I loved it, but she's already talking about taking it down. I think she takes things too seriously when it comes to her art. She doesn't believe in putting out "crap", but even if a piece is good in everybody's mind, if she doesn't like it, she'll take it down. Somebody should make a Strangepuppets.com "THE DIRECTOR'S CUT!" where she can't take down all of her art everytime she decides she doesn't like it anymore.

I guess it comes down to my belief that you just have to "let things go" at some point and stop worrying about them so much. :/
Red, dead meat!
Carnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:06 AM       
This thread is so thoroughly depressing. It makes me feel bad about enjoying my current job

If I ever become rich, I'll open an art gallery just for you, Re.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 12:12 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery
My philosophy is that if you have to rely on something you truly love to survive, it can potentially kill any enjoyment you get from it.

There's definitely truth to that. She hates her latest piece that she just posted in the art forum last night. Being a Warcraft fan, I loved it, but she's already talking about taking it down. I think she takes things too seriously when it comes to her art. She doesn't believe in putting out "crap", but even if a piece is good in everybody's mind, if she doesn't like it, she'll take it down. Somebody should make a Strangepuppets.com "THE DIRECTOR'S CUT!" where she can't take down all of her art everytime she decides she doesn't like it anymore.

I guess it comes down to my belief that you just have to "let things go" at some point and stop worrying about them so much. :/
That's the shitty part of the cerative process: If she doesn't like it, that's all that matters to her. I think it's that way with most artists- a hundred million people could like it, and it wouldn't matter because SHE didn't like it.

But all artists are fruitcakes and whack-jobs, so their judgement is inherently suspect.

You have spectacular talent, Re. I don't think there's any job in the world that could kill your art.
________
lesbians Webcams

Last edited by sspadowsky : Apr 18th, 2011 at 06:08 AM.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 12:29 PM       
Oh, and just where have YOU been, Mr. I'm-Too-Cool-To-Post-Here-Because-I'm-Getting-Married-And-I-Have-a-Life?

Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 12:39 PM       
I've been too busy allowing my creativity to be sapped by my soulless corporate job.

That and trying to figure out how the fuck I'm going to pay for our honeymoon. If anyone has three grand they can give me, let me know.
________
Volcano vaporizers

Last edited by sspadowsky : Apr 18th, 2011 at 06:08 AM.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 04:34 PM       
Infotech is to todays workforce what the assembly line was to our parents and the mills to our great grandparents.

Soul deadening jobs are tough, no doubt about it. I strongly recomend steering the mid away from loathing. Be as zen as you can. "Chop wood carry water" they say, and that can be the same with the keyboard.

Here's my suggestion. Art therapy. There are lot of crazy little kids out there (and frightening adolescents locked up in wards) and they all need to draw. It's meaningful work, helping kids who need help is highly rewarding, crazy ass kids are buckets of fun if tey are not your crazy ass kids and you get to have art supplies. I also think, in my limmited experience of you, that crazy ass kids would see you as someone they could trust. I mean that as a compliment. You would need to go back to school, and a s human services field, it pays shit. But it wouldn't crush your soul, hell, it might even fuel it.

Having given my two cents on that, here's the follow up. Be as critical as you like where it hones your skills, but the results of any individual work are unimportant. It is the body of work you produce throughout the course of your life, and the process of doing that work that is meaningful. The individual works belong to your audience. The process alone belongs to you. The only reason I've been able to work as long as I have at writting, art and performing with so little financial success is that I'm immersed in the process. Anything I get in return is gravy.

Mmmmm. Gravy.

I also hate and have failed miserably at the business/schmooze end of things. If you can find someone to do that for you (and lord knows I have not) let go of it entirely. Especially where you are a visual artist, you can get away very easily with being moddy, sullen and uncommunicative. But if you do find someone to do business for you, I strongly suggest you let go of every aspect of your work but it's creation. That inlcudes judging finished pieces worthy or unworthy. Just work.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:15 PM       
peronally i like my idea of living with the animals best

oh how simple life would be.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:34 PM       
Quote:
And I can't beleive so many people are this miserable. Is this life? This is ridiculous. Why the hell does anyone bother
Curiosity. Sad sad hope that things will possibly get better and I'll live happily ever after. I should sue Disney for that... but if I did and won millions then I'd whine about the taxes and the government, I'm sure.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:51 PM       
whoreable, your idea is romanticized too. Reality would probably be more like this:

Queen of the Beasts
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:01 PM       
You'd actually be kind of suprised. Children have been raised by animals. Go to www.feralchildren.com
Mocker
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:10 PM       
i knew it was a great idea!!

sorry you had to be so very WRONG fs.

but seriously thats a pretty interesting site. but i do really want to do a survival trip for a few weeks or so. sure i might die, but i think the experience would be worth it.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:22 PM       
Whatever just don't come crying to me when some singing bear swallows you whole.
Mocker
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:27 PM       
Whatever just don't come crying to me when some singing bear befriends you and takes you in as their son.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:35 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoreable
but seriously thats a pretty interesting site. but i do really want to do a survival trip for a few weeks or so. sure i might die, but i think the experience would be worth it.
A survival trip?! How much woods experience do you have?!