Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM        The RTS Thread.
So when I was younger I use to play the classic RTS games on PC. You know C&C, Red Alert, Warcraft 1-2, Starcraft, Total Annihilation, etc etc. I just stopped keeping up with PC games in general after Warcraft 3 and that is where my RTS days kind of died.

Fast forward to 3 weeks and 2 lan parties ago.

I played Rise of Nation: Thrones & Patriots with a bunch of friends at a lan party. I have now been playing it for about 2 weeks now and I think it's a fantastic game. I haven't had this much fun with an RTS since I was like 15

It's like a shiney new world to me

So let's talk PC RTS! Old and new!

Which games do you think are absolute musts and which are absolute busts. (see how I did that?)
Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo is probably a spambot
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:33 PM       
1. Congratulations on your absolutely FANTASTIC rhyme! You are the master.

Now, with that out of the way: Well, like you said, Starcraft is just the absolute bomb and is still loads of fun today. I always liked the CnC and AoE series too, with the newer games being no exception.
An absolute bust...well, I actually kinda tend to keep away from those by informing myself before I make a purchase, so I buy very few bad games and can't really help you there.
As for Rise of Nations: I've heard of it but haven't tried it. But if it's as good as you say, maybe I'll check it out.
He speaks truth!
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM       
The original Rise of Nations stole weeks of my life. I remember playing the game religiously for hours a day during the summer of 2003.

The first C&C was a good one as was Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. The Trade Federation was cheaper than Zergs in Starcraft. Speaking of Starcraft, I still play the game a few times a month and i'm eagerly awaiting the release of the sequel later this year.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM       
RTS that I'm playing at the moment:

Dungeon Keeper
Age of Empires II (So far I'm not liking it more then the first which I never stopped playing)
Star Trek Armada 2

I recently gave Tiberian Sun a go after not having the cash for it when it came out & it does not stand up to Red Alert at all IMO.

As a hardcore nerd, I have a gripe with this type of game & that is the maps being too small. Only hardcore nerds would want to play on a map that takes over half an hour to send your fastest unit to the otherside. However it would allow a strategy beyond harvest all the resources first then zerg rush your opponent, being the only winning formula anyone has ever used against me as I seem to only ever get to play fags.
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:45 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Hippo View Post
As for Rise of Nations: I've heard of it but haven't tried it. But if it's as good as you say, maybe I'll check it out.
I think it's very fun once you get the general dynamics of the game down. That's when you really start looking into the vast variety of choices you have for a team. Each country/civilization has it's own unique attributes that may give you a definite advantage simply due to how you play(but hey, isn't every rts like that? ).

I will admit that half the teams just seem completely useless, but maybe it's just how I play that makes me think that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRat
The original Rise of Nations stole weeks of my life.
This game has probably stole my last 12 of 14 nights

It totally cured my xbox live addiction though! (sorry Zomboid )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub
I recently gave Tiberian Sun a go after not having the cash for it when it came out & it does not stand up to Red Alert at all IMO.

As a hardcore nerd, I have a gripe with this type of game & that is the maps being too small. Only hardcore nerds would want to play on a map that takes over half an hour to send your fastest unit to the otherside. However it would allow a strategy beyond harvest all the resources first then zerg rush your opponent, being the only winning formula anyone has ever used against me as I seem to only ever get to play fags.
Yea I remember Tiberian Sun being a real suck fest. I didn't like it at all.

But big maps make you feel more important

Which AoE title should I check out? Is it very dynamic or is it just build base, build vast army, win game?

Also elaborate on this Dungeon Keeper.

Last edited by MattJack : Feb 8th, 2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: HUNGRY FOR MORE INFORMATION FROM HUMAN RACE
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:54 PM       
A conversation if I could have maps as big as I wanted:

Me: Haha, you're so doomed now, I just finished a fully defended wall around that resource site you tried to steal!
Fag: Dude, WTH? I haven't even been on a computer for a month, what game do you think we're playing?
Me: How the fuck can you not use a computer for a month? You total fag!
Fag: THIS IS WHY WE'RE NO LONGER FRIENDS!
Me: Fag.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:02 PM       
i can only play rtses against the computer, yall cheat
Role Assigner
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:04 PM       
what if you know they suck?
Näyttelijäbotti!
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJack View Post
Which AoE title should I check out?
I haven't played three or very much of two, so IDK.
Quote:
Is it very dynamic or is it just build base, build vast army, win game?
I really do not know because of stupid. Unless you play against someone that actually wants to have fun then all RTS games are just grab the resources, build a base then mass an army.

Quote:
Also elaborate on this Dungeon Keeper.
You're an evil keeper of an underground dungeon. Build a better dungion to fight off heroes & other dungeon keepers. It is dirty good 1997 fun. Plus with humor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
i can only play rtses against the computer, yall cheat
Totally.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 09:06 AM       
If you've not already got it get Company of Heroes and the expansion. It's fantastic.
Feel the guilt
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:19 AM       
I don't know if I'd call Dungeon Keeper an RTS though. Sure, it's in real-time and a strategy game, but it has very little to do with the kind of RTS games Mattjack meant, seeing as how you don't even build or control your own units.
Dungeon Keeper is all about building up your dungeon, and then sending your monsters at the enemies in an all-out brawl. Kinda similar to Majesty, if you've played that. But I wouldn't really call it an RTS.
He speaks truth!
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 04:17 PM       
Oh well . I don't really enjoy these games too much and the majority of their fans are hardcore nerds, so I find it even harder to get into em. I used to play warcraft 1-3, starcraft, and star wars: galactic battlegrounds though.

That was very funny. Well done.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 05:54 PM       
Tiberian Sun was the first RTS I ever played online. I tried to play it recently and people got angry at me.

Lord of the Realms 2 was the best RTS I ever played.
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 06:33 PM       
me and my friends have been playing the shit out of warcraft 2 for the last couple months.

stir crazy is by far the most INSANE map evar
Feel the guilt
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM       
I tried Warcraft 2, but couldn't really get into it. The races are nearly the same, with the only difference being a couple of very slightly different stats and varying spells. Campaign wasn't that great either, and the 6 units per group was serious turn-off. The 12-unit limit in Starcraft already pisses me off. Why don't you play 3? It's superior in nearly every way as far as I can see.

Edit: Hey, I just found out that Red Alert 3 is being made, check it out: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6185990...stnews;title;0

No information about it yet, but I wonder what it's gonna be like. Ah well, as long as it doesn't suck.
He speaks truth!

Last edited by Fat_Hippo : Feb 13th, 2008 at 06:21 PM.