Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 10:51 PM        Hound of the Baskerville
Am I the only one who did not like this book?
Not a flame, I just have not met anyone who doesn't like it.

I also have a strong hatred for The Catcher in the Rye.
GET OUT
Asila is probably a spambot
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 11:43 PM       
If you're talking about Hound as a comparison with the rest of the Holmes body of work (hehe) then I completely agree. I feel as if Watson is too much of an unsung hero in the stories, but you can't escape the fact that no one wants to read a book about him wandering around the moors. I sort of skipped to the part where Holmes appears again.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 11:46 PM       
Stand alone... Yeah maybe it would be ok. Then again, I don't think I would read it the whole way through to find out about Holmes. I don't know.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:24 PM       
I refuse to believe any Holmes foe is anyone other than Moriarty.

Imagine a man of good birth and excellent education, endowed by nature with a phenomenal mathematical faculty... GOING MENTAL ON THE MOORS!

Plus I kinda liked reading it while hiking on Dartmoor, but I'm a fag.

Catcher in the Rye is a book for helping stupid children to feel badass.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:04 PM       
Catcher in the rye is comparable to 2 live crew.

They both sucked and got famous for being as nasty as they wann be.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:18 PM       
Let's all hire whores & only have a chat with them & then we can wear badges saying "We're as cool as a Holden Caulfield!" :D

I've already done this, so come on you guys you're lagging behind. ;(

If I worked for the Holden car company, I would ripoff the Honda Civic & call it the Caulfield. The ads would say "Not for phonies or screwballs!" The radio would only pick up emo stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Lover View Post
Imagine a man of good birth and excellent education, endowed by nature with a phenomenal mathematical faculty... GOING MENTAL ON THE MOORS!
Caulfield + Moriarty = Sethomas.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM       
hahaha
GET OUT
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 04:59 PM       
I will grant you that the only true and ultimate Holmes foe should be Moriarty--and the whole Stapleton thing seemed a bit Mary Sueish on the villian end (I'm a handsome, fiendishly intelligent man who happens to be the long lost secret heir! And I know the moors like the back of my hand! mwahahaha)--but please don't be one of those Irene Adler people. If I hear one more person positing that surely Irene was just the lurve of his life (or that he even needed a love, he's Holmes!) then I'm going to jam a sharpened pencil into my eye.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 05:08 PM       
Irene Adler was just a metaphor for cocaine and his violin. So yeas Irene Adler was his one and only true love.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 05:20 PM       
Holmes, like Caulfield, made use of prostitutes, but Holmes was able to talk AND act. After all, he was Sherlock Holmes.

Regarding the love of his life, as a closeted homosexual myself, Watson > Adler.
GET OUT
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 06:05 PM       
Oh c'mon, how could you think that? Two bachelors with a deep regard and affection for one another living together in the middle of a deeply...repressed... society...
DAMNIT!
Hehe, no I actually seesaw between agreeing with you and thinking that Holmes was far too screwed up emotionally--hence his deep addictions and occasional odd reactions or weird behaviours--to even admit to any deeper feelings for anyone. And Watson did love the ladies.

Oh, and in case it isn't painfully obvious, I haven't read Catcher in the Rye in so long that I seriously don't remember the difference between it and Grapes of Wrath. All of my recent classes have been Brit Lit.

Last edited by Asila : Jan 17th, 2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Oh yeah...
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 06:08 PM       
I only remebr Watson loving 1 lady and ignoring all the rest except for Holmes.
GET OUT
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM       
He was married to Mary until after she died (in the interim where Holmes was also dead OH MY GOD I'M A FUCKING NERD) but it mentions him being married at least once after that, leaving dedicated readers with little time on their hand to conclude that he'd married again. I'm *pretty sure* there's argument for him being married twice after Mary's death, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
That and Watson mentions several times during The Solitary Cyclist (seriously people, it's getting out of control here) that he was hoping that Holmes' concern for their female client was so great because he was considering her as a romantic prospect.

Last edited by Asila : Jan 17th, 2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: There's more!
El Oh El is probably a spambot
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 09:48 PM       
I've always liked catcher in the rye because it was the first novel i read. That's really the only reason.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM       
I can totally understand that. I would too if that was my first real book.