Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Sports & Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:50 PM        NCAA 2009 season thread
I know what you are thinking, 'Waaaaay early', and normally I would agree, but this season's first game has already been decided.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n=ncaaf,163767

Couple things here:

1) Why would Delaware State do this to themselves. Sure, money and program recognition are nice, but have a little pride in your team.

2) Why would Michigan ever schedule any 1-AA opponent ever again after the Appalachian State Debacle?
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:21 PM       
It's NEVER too early for college basketball. Wooo.
You may already be there.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:07 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
It's NEVER too early for college basketball. Wooo.
This is the college football thread though
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:41 AM       
Ummm ... apologies? :redface

I get excited about college basketball more than college football. Which makes no sense, since I'm more of a pro-football fan than an NBA fan. Anyhoo, for others like me who can't see straight past 8:30, could we specify the title a bit more - you know, NCAA Football 2009 or something. I'd appreciate it, since we're undoubtedly going to have an NCAA 2009 basketball thread someday ....

Good talkin' to you, P.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM        NCAA 2009 Football Thread
Quote:
Anyhoo, for others like me who can't see straight past 8:30, could we specify the title a bit more - you know, NCAA Football 2009 or something. I'd appreciate it, since we're undoubtedly going to have an NCAA 2009 basketball thread someday ....
Yeah, I was thinking that same thing myself.
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM       
I thought this was the thread for college lacrosse.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 07:29 AM       
So Boise State and Oregpn play and LeGarrette Blount treats to this:

EDIT: Youtube had to take the video down because ESPN are a bunch of whiny bitches

That seemed like a sucker punch to me. Oh and real brave after the sucker punch throwing up your dukes while keeping your helmet on. At least take off your face protection for a throw down, after all you were all for hitting him without his helmet. Not only are you a shitty example of sportsmanship, you are a freaking coward. Carmelo Anthony punching and backpedaling away is laughing at your cowardice.

On the plus side, this dipshit is getting suspended for the season ( http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...v=st&type=lgns ). Bonus punishment, because he is a senior, this will probably make him all but forgotten when the NFL draft comes next year! HA! Karma: 1 LeGarrette Blount:0

Last edited by Pentegarn : Sep 6th, 2009 at 07:47 AM.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 07:48 AM       
That young man needs 400mg of thorazine. STAT!
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 07:45 AM       
Oklahoma pretty much ended itself for the hunt for the national title yesterday.

OSU took a punch from Navy but managed to get the win thanks to an unusual defensive play. Navy does have a good running game and OSU came out kind of rusty. Hopefully next week they will come out stronger. Time will tell.

For the gambling degenerates, Florida failed to cover the spread and only won by 59
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 08:59 PM       
Quote:
That young man needs 400mg of thorazine. STAT!
What movie is that from? I know this quote!
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 12:25 AM       
Let me start off by saying first that I'm not tryin to hate on anyone for liking college ball or anything like that, but I just want to let yall know where I'm coming from and see what yall think.

I never got into college football. I never quite understood when I was younger(or now) how schedules worked and what counted. Being from Louisiana you'd figure I'd bleed purple and gold(even going to a couple games and having childhood friends graduate from there), but I don't.

Three or four years ago I tried getting into college ball because some of my buddies were telling me it was the best shit ever. Well, I watched a couple of games and they were OK and all, but then I learned something that has just made me not give a shit about college ball.

The BCS.

What the fuck is that shit about? How can EVERY sport on the planet have a playoff system EXCEPT college football? Who is the best? The BCS is the most broken/glitched/fucked shit I've ever heard of in my life when it comes to deciding who's the best. I guess it's all politics and money, but I don't know, maybe college ball followers like it?

How do yall like the BCS? Is it legit or do you think it's completely stupid too?

Also why are some games completely lopsided? I mean Kansas beat Citadel yesterday 40-6. Florida beat Charleston 62-3!! The sad part is that this shit isn't uncommon. When was the last time you saw that shit in the pros on a regular basis?

Is there any possible way I can get into college ball at this stage in my life? Are there some basic facts I need to know?

Thnx I-Mockery Sports Forum
after enough bourbon ...
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 06:12 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRat View Post
What movie is that from? I know this quote!
I paraphrased. I think the actual quotation is from the movie "Ghostbusters" and goes something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Peter Venkman
[talking over the phone to Dr. Egon Spengler] "I just whacked her up with 400 mg of thorazine; she's going to take a little nap now."
It just seemed appropriate.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 06:29 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJack View Post
[...] I learned something that has just made me not give a shit about college ball.

The BCS.

What the fuck is that shit about? [...]
BCS = Big Craptastic Suckfest

Quote:
How do yall like the BCS? Is it legit or do you think it's completely stupid too?
It's all they can get. Yes, it sucks. Yes, it's a travesty that college football is the only major national sport with no playoff system. Such is the power of the NCAA. They operate under the misguided opinion that they'll lose billions of dollars in revenue if they go to a playoff system (the "Bowl Train" will hit the final station) and further mistake the confusion of a non-consensus national champion as "good for the sport".

Personally I'd take the NCAA board of directors out back and shoot 'em.

Quote:
Also why are some games completely lopsided? I mean Kansas beat Citadel yesterday 40-6. Florida beat Charleston 62-3!! The sad part is that this shit isn't uncommon. When was the last time you saw that shit in the pros on a regular basis?
Not bloody often, I'll admit.

The reason most Division I schools schedule cupcakes on their schedule used to be to pad their won/loss records to help them achieve national recognition. Thankfully, this practice, while maintaining a healthy level of status quo (Penn State vs. Akron comes to mind) is losing significance, thanks to a computer ranking system that rates quality of opponents, or strength of schedule as a number that gets factored into the BCS ranking. It's only one factor, so it doesn't carry all the weight it probably should, but it's a step in the right direction, and it's all the morons in charge would agree to.

Quote:
Is there any possible way I can get into college ball at this stage in my life? Are there some basic facts I need to know?
I am sure the rest of my brethren in the sports forum will add where they deem it significant, and correct me where I may have made an inadvertent error.

If you're a football fan, then getting into collegiate football could be do-able, if you're willing to invest the time and energy in getting to know either your local college team(s) or your alma mater. However, if you're not a football fan, the chances are less than likely. IMO, of course.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 10:09 PM       
I got some answers of my own, they may even match the Colonels in some spots

Quote:
The BCS.

What the fuck is that shit about? How can EVERY sport on the planet have a playoff system EXCEPT college football? Who is the best? The BCS is the most broken/glitched/fucked shit I've ever heard of in my life when it comes to deciding who's the best. I guess it's all politics and money, but I don't know, maybe college ball followers like it?
Everyone, everywhere, ever agrees with you, except the people making money from the sponsorships and the few BCS honks (i.e. SEC fans) Those same people who agree with you all have their own solution. I would take even a plus 1 system at this point, but they won't even give that. I think the BCS hates sports fans.

Quote:
A system that always keeps the 2 best teams from playing each other for the championship can only be called stupid.

Quote:
You'll find this is VERY common for the BCS conference teams. Especially the SEC (look at their schedule last year; they refuse to play anyone tough in preseason and they don't need to because the AP poll voters will suck their collective dicks on command. They won't risk the undefeated season on some real preseason competition because one loss can cost them the BCS championship. Hence why Florida plays the Columbus School for Blind Girls in preseason.

Quote:
1) According to ESPN. Nothing is better then the SEC. It doesn't matter that they only play themselves, it doesn't matter that generally they lose the majority of their bowl games when they finally have to play an out of conference team that is tough, they can do no wrong in the eyes of ESPN.

2) Unfortunately, the Big 10 has yet to grasp the concept of the spread and how to defend it.

3) Once upon a time, Michigan University had a football team, then the evil wizard Rich Rodriguez put the curse of his coaching on their university and all it's traditions, now they have a team that loses to OSU by roughly 40 points.

4)The Big 12 is Big on offense and little on defense

5)USC are the only non SEC school that ESPN likes. About halfway through every season though, they lose to some slap like Stanford or Washington and their season gets shot, that said they still deserve a BCS shot more than most of the SEC.

6) Out of nowhere about 3 years ago Boise State made a big splash. Not sure why but they have remained relevant. They were best known before this surge for their blue football field.

7)Utah is another little university that could, like Boise State.

8) A few rivalry games of note: OSU vs. Michigan, Army vs. Navy, Notre Dame vs. Michigan, Notre Dame vs. USC, Auburn vs. Alabama, Texas vs. Oklahoma, USC vs. UCLA
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 12:49 AM       
Thanks gentlemen!

Well I'm from SEC territory, but yet I don't give a damn how "stacked" their conference is if they play padded schedules.

After reading both of your posts I guess I'll watch college ball for the love of the game, but I'll pretty much consider it Amateur Ball(which technically it is). It just seems like all the college system has to do is tweak a few things here and there to make it awesome, but unfortunately politics and money are involved.

I'll just watch the games that "matter" from now on. I'll root for La teams of course, but I really don't give a shit. I just love football and I love a good game.

Once again thanks. Also if you have any other thoughts/opinions for me they are more than welcome.
Beloved Cunt
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
You'll find this is VERY common for the BCS conference teams. Especially the SEC (look at their schedule last year; they refuse to play anyone tough in preseason and they don't need to because the AP poll voters will suck their collective dicks on command. They won't risk the undefeated season on some real preseason competition because one loss can cost them the BCS championship. Hence why Florida plays the Columbus School for Blind Girls in preseason.
You'll find this is common for nearly ALL college football teams, D1, D1AA, and even D2.

Take for instance Maine (1AA) playing St. Cloud State (D2 and my alma mater for 1 semester) this past weekend. These are essentially tune up games as college does not have a preseason. I don't have a problem with this kind of scheduling as long as it's limited to one 1AA game, two games against a WAC, MAC, or CUSA team, and one marquee BCS game. You also failed to mention that the smaller schools receive several hundred thousand dollars just for showing up. It's a good tune up for the big schools and a really nice payday for the little guys, most of them having small athletic budgets to begin with.

Quote:
1) According to ESPN. Nothing is better then the SEC. It doesn't matter that they only play themselves, it doesn't matter that generally they lose the majority of their bowl games when they finally have to play an out of conference team that is tough, they can do no wrong in the eyes of ESPN.
Agreed.

Quote:
6) Out of nowhere about 3 years ago Boise State made a big splash. Not sure why but they have remained relevant. They were best known before this surge for their blue football field.
Boise State has been solid for several years now, not just since 2006. They are relevant because they have consistently fielded solid teams and are a model for why the BCS needs to go.

Quote:
8) A few rivalry games of note: OSU vs. Michigan, Army vs. Navy, Notre Dame vs. Michigan, Notre Dame vs. USC, Auburn vs. Alabama, Texas vs. Oklahoma, USC vs. UCLA
You could also add Florida vs. Florida State vs. Miami, Oregon vs. Oregon State, Cal vs. Stanford, Iowa vs. Iowa State, and South Florida vs. Central Florida. There are many more great rivalries that ESPN neglects because they aren't seen as big money games even though some of these rivalries stretch back a hundred years.

There is much more to college football than what's just shown on ESPN. Try to check out several different games, not just BCS. You'll find that they are just as exciting as the more hyped games. Personally, I find games like North Texas vs. Ball State much more entertaining than South Carolina vs. NC State.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 04:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRat View Post
You could also add Florida vs. Florida State vs. Miami, Oregon vs. Oregon State, Cal vs. Stanford, Iowa vs. Iowa State, and South Florida vs. Central Florida. There are many more great rivalries that ESPN neglects because they aren't seen as big money games even though some of these rivalries stretch back a hundred years.
What Harvard vs. Yale not good enough for your list? What about the Old Oaken Bucket, no love for that match between Indiana and Purdue?
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 08:04 PM       
Right now OSU vs. USC is taking place. Over 105,000 people are at the OSU horse shoe. I've decided to take shelter at my parents house in Grove City for the time being, seeing as there will be absolute mayhem taking place after this game.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 09:25 PM       
Why? Riots can be fun.

My favorite NCAA game o' the day:

Notre Dame - 34
Michigan - 38

filthiest soap dish
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 11:34 PM       
And OSU lost the fucking game. FUCKING WOW! Way to go defense, especially against a freshman QB. Lesson learned today, the word disappointment.
filthiest soap dish
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 12:52 AM       
Fucking amen. Imagine if we would of went for them on the 4th & goal scenarios. Should of, would of, could of. I'm ashamed of these so called "luck-eyes".
Beloved Cunt
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 10:21 AM       

What an amazing experience. First time since 1982 that a Minnesota football game has been played on campus. Just a great experience.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 08:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
5)USC are the only non SEC school that ESPN likes. About halfway through every season though, they lose to some slap like Stanford or Washington and their season gets shot, that said they still deserve a BCS shot more than most of the SEC.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...me-report.html
after enough bourbon ...
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 09:25 PM       
So, what are the lottery numbers for next week, big guy?