Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 07:31 PM        Fat people law suit thrown out.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/09/04/mc...uit/index.html

Thursday, September 4, 2003 Posted: 6:54 PM EDT (2254 GMT)

McDonald's says its food "can fit into a healthy, well-balanced diet."

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A federal judge Thursday threw out a class-action lawsuit filed by two Bronx teenagers claiming McDonald's used false advertising and that the chain's food made them fat and contributed to their health problems.

The plaintiffs' lawyers claimed unknown ingredients and processing made foods such as french fries, Chicken McNuggets and Filet-O-Fish sandwiches damaging to consumers' health.

"The plaintiffs have made no explicit allegations that they witnessed any particular deceptive advertisement, and they have not provided McDonald's with enough information to determine whether its products are the cause of the alleged injuries," said U.S. District Court Judge Robert Sweet.

"Finally, the one advertisement which plaintiffs implicitly allege to have caused their injuries is objectively non-deceptive."

Sweet ruled the plaintiffs could not re-file the lawsuit. In January, the judge dismissed an earlier version of the suit but allowed them to file again with revisions.

Sweet said in his first ruling that McDonald's cannot be blamed by consumers who choose to eat there.

"If a person knows or should know that eating copious orders of super-sized McDonald's products is unhealthy and may result in weight gain," Sweet said in the January ruling, "it is not the place of the law to protect them from their own excesses."

"We trusted that common sense would prevail in this case, and it did," McDonald's spokeswoman Lisa Howard said in a statement released from the company's Oak Brook, Illinois, headquarters.

"Today's dismissal is further recognition that the courtroom is not the appropriate forum to address this important issue.

"McDonald's food can fit into a healthy, well-balanced diet based upon the choice and variety available on our menu."

The company said more than 20 million people eat at McDonald's in the United States every day.

"I think you should contact my lawyer. He has my reaction," Roberta Pelman, mother of plaintiff Ashley Pelman, told CNN. The plaintiffs' lawyer, Samuel Hirsch, said he had no comment.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 07:59 PM       
Secret ingrediants? Its fucking bathed in grease. That is a known fact. Hell, you can go watch them do while you order. What makes anyone think that shit is healthy?
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 08:20 PM       
Maybe they only ever ordered salads and had 20 every day.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 08:58 PM       
Dude, I'm willing to bet even those hold more lard than....a large...lard holding....container.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:25 PM       
I love it how I can buy apples from McDonalds now, because I love to eat healthy.

I also like to pay the extra cents for the polish.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 08:21 AM       
Ha! Ha! Take that, fatties.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 01:31 PM        Re: Fat people law suit thrown out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkgrrrlie10
"I think you should contact my lawyer. He has my reaction," Roberta Pelman, mother of plaintiff Ashley Pelman, told CNN. The plaintiffs' lawyer, Samuel Hirsch, said he had no comment.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 03:49 PM       
He actually did have comment, his comments were: "bwagh blargh bwah bwah bwarrrgh." The associated press speculated that this was to blame on the hamburger lodged in his mouth.

HA HA HA

BECAUSE HE'S FAT

I GOT A MILLION OF THESE

Rumor has it, the plaintiffs wanted the entire fine paid in HAMBURGERS

While testifying, Ashley had to be restrained by four guards when she refused to stop eating HAMBURGERS

Something else with HAMBURGERS