Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM        Water on the moon?
:O I couldn't tell if this story was a joke. A STARTLING DISCOVERY HAS BEEN MADE BY DR. SUNSHINE.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...etects-it.html

"
A manned Moon base could become a reality within 20 years after scientists revealed today there are large quantities of water on the surface of the Earth's satellite.
The discovery increases the chances that humans may one day live permanently on the Moon inside protective domes, mining the rocks and dust for water to drink and power spacecrafts.

The scientific discovery made by the Indian lunar mission Chandrayaan-1 was announced by Nasa today.
'Widespread water has been detected on the surface of the Moon. None of us had expected this 10 years ago,' Nasa's Carle Pieters said.
"
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 03:30 PM       
Daily Mail. THE DAILY MAIL.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM       
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...72bcecad7dd685
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 03:49 PM       
Okay, there you go.

Given that the Moon is just a chunk of rock smashed out of something else, (supposedly), I don't think that this'll lead to anything. They also found ice on Mars, not that that actually led to anything.
BANNED

Old Sep 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM       
I don't even know what to say in response to that.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:00 PM       
What do you want from me? I flipped the fuck out when I found out there was ice on Mars and no one gave a damn. I thought it would change the course of humanity.

Oh well. It's more up to the scientists to find purpose and reason for things like that. I don't think I'm qualified to be even the least bit excited about this.
BANNED

Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:00 PM       
I think you're right. Will a moderator please delete this thread? Thanks :O

When did they find ice on mars? last year?

Are we supposed to have mars margaritas already? Should there already be a space station there?

also finding ice is a little bit different than what has been found here... its not just ice, but water in the soil everywhere and it has been proposed by doctor jessica sunshine that water can actually be created in the universe by solar winds bombarding moon particles meaning we could potentially make our own water in space using this sort of technology. but what-EV.
it also challenges everything idiot americans said about the moon and everything else in the universe because they didn't even check their assumptions.

are you aware of the fact that for a long time science considered the universe to be basically dead, lifeless and infertile because it was dry and there was no water and water was this rare elixer found mostly on earth?
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:06 PM       
I think what the excitement about water/ice on something other than earth is that we might find microscopic life in it. Hopefully organisms that we have never seen before. Hopefully ones that wont kill us.
BANNED

Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM       
yea, plus it will make it a lot easier to colonize other planets and live in space.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:11 PM       
Oui oui, if water exists, life (as we know it) should exist, as well.

I know, Kahl. I know it takes a long time for practical use or research to come of it. And happy I am that such progress or whatever is taking place.

But as an American, I am well within my God-given right to be ignorant, praise Jesus.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:16 PM       
The thing about Mars is that it's probably way hard to retrieve the water. I'm sure we can send a moisture collecting satellite to the moon and back easily.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:20 PM       
It doesn't really have the kind of atmosphere required to keep the planet warm enough for fluid water, if it has one at all. I dunno. I must've skipped that day of physical science class.

Maybe we'll have delicious moonwater soft drinks. In a few years.
BANNED

Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM       
Quote:
The thing about Mars is that it's probably way hard to retrieve the water. I'm sure we can send a moisture collecting satellite to the moon and back easily.
Well according to the technology they are discussing in that article they could just like stick a shitload of hydrogen loaded rocks in space near mars, let it be bombarded by solar winds, and collect it at a later date. No need to go to earth's moon...
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM       
I've bee trying to understand the science talk since it popped up on yahoo news, but I think they are talking about a mist like thing.

""When we say 'water on the moon,' we are not talking about lakes, oceans or even puddles. Water on the moon means molecules of water and hydroxyl (hydrogen and oxygen) that interact with molecules of rock and dust specifically in the top millimetres of the moon's surface," Pieters said in a statement."

I think I saw something where the noticed it cause condensation on satellites started to collect or something like that. But fuck if I know. Maybe in a few days it will become more clear what is going on and I can go back to looking at the stars knowing that USA RULES!
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:30 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
Well according to the technology they are discussing in that article they could just like stick a shitload of hydrogen loaded rocks in space near mars, let it be bombarded by solar winds, and collect it at a later date. No need to go to earth's moon...
Cool! I'd rather look at Mars water rather than earths moon water.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM       
Quote:
A manned Moon base could become a reality within 20 years after scientists revealed today there are large quantities of water on the surface of the Earth's satellite.
Quote:
Dr Sunshine said a two litre bottle of lunar earth would only provide enough water to fill the pipette of a medicine bottle.
Large quantities?

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2..._Moonwater.htm

We were already talking about this in '05. Not to mention the American and Indian space programs pretty much work hand in hand these days.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:11 PM       
giant sips are what you take, water on the moon
i hope my straw don't break, water on the moon
BANNED

Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:27 PM       
*sigh* let me try to break down that webpage you sent compared with this story:

For one, everything in that story was theory. They had no "proof". If you read the story carefully, everything is inconclusive and at the end it says, "in 2008 nasa will be sending out another satelite to settle the question once and for all."
Secondly, they are SPECULATING that the water on the moon was caused by COMETS/asteroids which had water bombarding the Earth (cause that's where they think water came from on earth) and the moon.
but its all theory and guesses. They had no proof, and didn't even have reliable images. You know what they had? According to that website, they caught some glimpses of "Reflections" WHICH COULD ONLY MAYBE MEAN ICE.

In the new story jessica sunshine speculates that sunshine makes water in outspace my bombarding hydrogen particles because sunshine/solar wind contains oxygen or something. That's different. yea and then this satelite is like better than the other ones and there were like three of them and the data i guess is better
so thar ya go.
BANNED

Old Sep 24th, 2009, 11:57 PM       
this is kind of like if somebody found an alien body and spacecraft and everybody saw pictures of it and it was in the news and people were like, "Big deal. We've known aliens existed for years Just look at these stories I've read www.conspiracyalienwebsite.com. I'll be more surprised never."
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 01:29 PM       
No its more like... Yeah there is possibly water on the moon. Why spend billions of dollars going there to find out? Oh the Indians are going there just to see if they can? Sure tell them about the water and give them information so they can find out for us.
BANNED

Old Sep 25th, 2009, 07:56 PM       
uuuhhhh ok. Why spend billions trying to perform fusion or make that gigantic collider thing that they built? Why send probes around the galaxy to scan jupiter and its moons and mars and have gigantic telescopes and shit and nasa and everything? Why then make documentaries and websites about these things that people pretend to be interested and then proceed to the scorn the science and research that produced those materials?

Why have a scientific method when we can just guess things about the universe and hope that they are true. We should just be religious and spend our money on the church because jesus will take care of us.
BANNED

Old Sep 25th, 2009, 08:02 PM       
"No more missions to space," Dimnos.

Quote:
The news comes a day after it was also revealed that large quantities of water had been found on the surface of the Moon.
It means a manned base on the Earth's satellite could now become a reality within 20 years.

The discovery increases the chances of humanity living on the lunar surface inside protective domes, mining the rocks and dust for water to drink and power spacecrafts.

Quote:
Widespread water has been detected on the surface of the Moon. None of us had expected this 10 years ago,' Nasa's Carle Pieters said.

What a waste of money hiring this guy

Quote:
The water comes and goes during the lunar day.
"water is being continuously formed on the moon"

etc. you know some other differences is that they thought that water and ice were only around the craters. Furthermore, this discovery explains how water might've gotten on earth, as well, and add to our knowledge about how planets are formed...

whatever though ultimately its not worth the billions of dollars
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 11:53 PM       
Yes. Because that is what I said.

Why spend the money going to the moon for water. When you could say... up date and improve the Hubble? Or just about any other project than going to the moon for water. Its not like we are exactly short on it here.
BANNED

Old Sep 26th, 2009, 04:17 AM       
Why build telescopes to look into space when we can just look up at night?

Why look for life on other plants when there's plenty of life here?

Dimnos quit being a dipshit. You're almost as bad as fathom zero and guitar woman.

I don't even know if the purpose of this project specifically was to find water on the moon or if there were several other purposes but whatever. I'm sure they weren't as important as updating the hubble telescope and hey maybe nasa is hiring you should check that out since you've got decision making powers.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 06:25 AM       
I got pissed off, is all. I mentioned the ice on Mars and I got the same reaction I gave you.

WHY DON'T YOU IDIOTS CARE ABOUT THIS? IT'S FUCKING SPACE. IT'S GODDAMN AWESOME. Jesus.