Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:23 PM        Blizzard buys Diablo3.com
Quote:
Diablo3.com becomes Diablofans.com! Blizzard acquires diablo3.com. Apr 30, 2008 - 8:26 PM - by mockery Ahoy there, fellow Diablo fans!

Well, there's no point in beating around the bush any longer, so let's get right down to it. A few months ago we were contacted by Blizzard in regards to the Diablo3.com domain name. While they appreciate all the work that's been put into running this big Diablo fan community over the years, they still want the domain name. Hmm, I wonder why? Now before you get all up in arms about it, allow me to explain a few things.

First off, this fan site isn't going anywhere, it's just getting a new name: Diablofans.com! Blizzard is actually being really cool about it, giving us all the time we need to make it a smooth transition before we hand the old domain over to them. So be sure to update all of your bookmarks and point 'em to diablofans.com instead. Your user accounts will all still be perfectly functional and, along with this new site name, we'll soon have a big site redesign up and running as well. A new name, a new look. Huzzah!

Secondly, while Blizzard is indeed acquiring the diablo3.com domain name, they told me that this shouldn't be considered an announcement for the Diablo 3 game we've been waiting for all these years. They acquire new domains all the time. While this is true, I personally can't help but think that this is a confirmation of sorts that they're working on the next Diablo game. Sure, they can claim it's because they want to protect their intellectual properties 'n what have you, but I can't imagine they would all of a sudden be so interested in the diablo3.com domain if they weren't working on a new Diablo 3 game behind the scenes.

On a final note, I want to thank all of you guys who've made this community so strong over the years. It's only going to get better around here and I hope you'll all stick with us. One of the nice things about this whole name-change ordeal is that Blizzard really appreciates the fact that we're a dedicated fan site and we'll be working with them much more closely in the future to bring you the latest Diablo game news.

It's funny, I've had so many offers over the years from people who wanted to pay a lot o' cash for the diablo3.com domain name and I wasn't even willing to consider then. I set out to have a great Diablo fan site because I simply loved the Diablo series. Fortunately, with the help of some great people on the staff and fans like you, we accomplished just that. But when Blizzard came around asking for the domain, I was excited about it both as a Diablo fan and for their recognition of all the work we've put into the site. Fortunately for us, the diablofans.com domain name was available and it fit perfectly in line with the intentions of this site, so I registered it and here we are. Diablo3.com will still be active for a few more months so everybody can have a chance to get used to the new Diablofans.com domain. After that, it will simply point to the Blizzard.com homepage... at least until they're ready to use it for something more worthwhile. One of the nice things about the new diablofans.com domain is that it's all-encompassing. Instead of the site just being for people waiting on Diablo 3, it can serve as the main hub for *all* current and future Diablo games. Isn't it nice to know you'll always have a place online you can call home? Hey, even Diablo's demon minions need a place to hang their hats too.

Alright, that's all the news for now. I'm sure all of this news is gonna get the Diablo 3 rumor mill running like a mad banshee... so have fun discussing the announcement with your fellow Diablo fans!

update: Some gaming news sites are reporting that Blizzard "purchased" the diablo3.com domain from me. This is not the case. As I stated in the above post, if it was my intention to make a profit off of the domain, I could've sold it years ago, but I didn't. When Blizzard spoke to me about their interest in the domain, I was happy to give it to them since they had no problems with us moving the site to diablofans.com and will now be working more closely with us in the future. So yeah, I just wanted to clear that up... there is no monetary exchange taking place, I'm simply giving Blizzard the diablo3 domain.
omg D:
Level 29 ♂
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:27 PM       
I guess 'buys' is the wrong word :<
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM       
so is a buy bill gates style in the simpsons

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:22 PM       
Heheh, I was wondering when one of you guys would notice this. It's a pretty cool situation, I'm really happy with how well our new Diablofans site is working out so far. Should be a lot of fun to work on it once the next Diablo game is finally announced. :O
Level 29 ♂
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM       
I was wondering if you were rich yet.
Pickled Patriarch
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM       
No, like I said in my post, they're not buying it from us. I could've sold the domain for a lot of money cuz I've had many offers for it over the years, but I didn't want to be one of those asshole cybersquatters. I was a huge Diablo 2 fan and wanted to make the biggest fansite for the next Diablo game whenever it came out. Granted, I didn't think it would be 10 years, but it's been worth the wait either way cuz now we'll get to work more closely with Blizzard in the future to hopefully bring people the latest Diablo news. Hooray!
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:44 PM       
Free games for us! Yay!
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:45 PM       
Hey Rog, since you're in the loop. How about a hooking me up with a free WOW account.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM       
Time to get Diablo4.com!
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:39 PM       
Heh, neat.

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
☆☆☆☆☆
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:02 PM       
It's gonna be in 1st person view.
Mongoloid
Cedar is probably a spambot
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:31 PM       
damn it the the title of the topic got me all excited, i hope they release a new diablo soon.
Pickled Patriarch
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:47 PM       
People are expecting an announcement at either WWI or Blizzcon, so we'll see what happens. We have somebody who will be reporting from WWI and we'll all be at Blizzcon again, so hopefully we'll get to share some good news about the Diablo series from one of those events.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 05:02 PM       
They anounced the Wizard. Not too much of a shock but there's new info at least.
Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 06:03 PM       
I like the new Wizard, at least. The Witch Doctor is okay, but not as cool as Necromancer was. Overall, I'm kinda disappointed in this. It doesn't have the same dark, gothic style it used to. Now it's WoW-ified.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM       
GODDAMNIT, SHUT THE FUCK UP
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 07:01 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSappington View Post
I like the new Wizard, at least. The Witch Doctor is okay, but not as cool as Necromancer was. Overall, I'm kinda disappointed in this. It doesn't have the same dark, gothic style it used to. Now it's WoW-ified.
Turn down the brightness and color saturation on your monitor. Then go cut yourself and listen to The Cure.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 07:02 PM       
Holy shit, people are still being gay about that?
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 07:08 PM       
Uh, they announced the Wizard a year ago
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 11:11 PM       
Well know one told me about the Wizard a year ago.
Freelance Product Tester
BurntToShreds is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 11:54 PM       
Can't wait for it.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 02:51 PM       
I have enough trouble keeping track of the one dungeon and town in the original Diablo, and I've never played D2. This is just going to be DAUNTING.
SKATASTIC
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 05:39 PM       
D2 was awesome. Only annoying part was ACT 3 in the jungle. ACT 2 in D2 was really cool.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 12:27 AM       
I recently got my friends hooked on D2 by setting up a lan with it. I love the series. Since they took out lan for Starcraft, does anyone know the fate of lan in D3?

Also, I think the Witch Doctor looks great.