Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:07 PM        Another obnoxious email forward from my grandmother
It's right about one thing, I couldn't believe what I was looking at when I opened this email.

Subject: Do Not Buy This Stamp

Do Not buy this Stamp

This one is impossible to believe. Scroll down for the text. If there is one thing you forward today.....let it be this.

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of PanAm Flight 103!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the Marine barracks in Lebanon!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the military barracks in Saudi Arabia!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the American Embassies in Africa!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the USS COLE!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM attack on the Twin Towers on 9/11/2001!

REMEMBER all the AMERICAN lives that were lost in those vicious MUSLIM attacks!

Now the United States Postal Service REMEMBERS and HONORS the EID MUSLIM holiday season with a commemorative first class holiday postage stamp.

REMEMBER to adamantly and vocally BOYCOTT this stamp when purchasing your stamps at the post office. To use this stamp would be a slap in the face to all those AMERICANS who died at the hands of those whom this stamp honors.

REMEMBER to pass this along to every patriotic AMERICAN you know

I replied to the huge list of people she sent it to with a simple "This is a really bad joke, right?"

I wanted to say SOOOOOO much more, this thing really pissed me off. But it's my grandmother. And half my other extended relatives are on this mailing list too, but I don't know exactly which email addresses belong to who.

What pisses me off the most is that I have to bite my tongue and restrain myself no matter HOW horribly ignorant or offensive her email forwards get. Because it's my grandmother. And my parents will never let me hear the end of it if I really go off like I want to.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:10 PM       
Hmm... I've bitched out relatives before. Not my grandma, though... I guess it would depend on whether or not I was getting any part of the inheritance.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:12 PM       
9-11 is so 2 years ago
The Goddamned Batman
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:16 PM       
I hope somebody on that list responds, so I have an excuse to write another letter.

I should have put "Remember all the MUSLIM AMERICANS who died in the attacks".
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:18 PM       
Give me her email address. I'll respond. >:)
The Goddamned Batman
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:20 PM       
Oh, FUCK that! My entire family would disown me.
Mocker

Captain Robo is probably a spambot
What's 9/11?
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Do a visionary darkness on it proto.

If you do I hope it's like your other one on 9-11. I loved that one

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:30 PM       
I don't have any grandparents, but if I did, and they sent me an email like that, and if it would start a big fight by yelling at them about it

I would just try to politely respond to the email and gently in old lady speak explain why it's ignorant, wrong and offensive.
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:05 PM       
Just change your e-mail and don't tell her about it. You won't get any more chain letters.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:47 PM       
Jesus Christ that makes me hopping MAD! If you want me to write out a simple crash course in Muslim religion and history for you to give to her, let me know.

Psycho Squid is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:08 PM       
Why don't you just block her e-mail address if you don't like what she writes?
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:28 PM       
I bet my dad recieved that e-mail.
Queen of the Beasts
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:52 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Modular
I bet my dad recieved that e-mail.
Why do you say that?
Proto, perhaps you should send her this?
Thursday, October 18, 2001
Muslim stamp tangled in politics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Symbol of inclusion a source of division

By Richelle Thompson
The Cincinnati Enquirer
Aminah Assilmi cried when United States postal workers on Sept. 1 unfurled a banner-sized replica of the first Muslim stamp.

Aminah Assilmi of Taylor Mill led a campaign to have the U.S. Postal Service create a stamp for the Muslim holidays of Eid.
(Associated Press photo)
| ZOOM |
To the Taylor Mill woman, the day was more than the culmination of a five-year push for the Postal Service to issue a Muslim postage stamp. It was a moment that marked a new level of acceptance for the estimated 6 million Muslims in America. The Islamic feast days of Eid would be on the corner of letters just as Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa stamps are.

“As a first-grade student wrote, "Now, I really feel like an American,'” says Ms. Assilmi. “It's a matter of feeling included.”

Acceptance elusive

But since the terrorist attacks, the stamp has become a reminder for some Muslims that full acceptance remains elusive.

A West Coast talk show host “made the observation that Eid was die spelled backward and that what we were really saying was, "Die America,'” Ms. Assilmi says. “It's very saddening.”

Some local postal workers have given her a hard time about the 34-cent stamp, Ms. Assilmi says, and she's had difficulty finding it at some post offices.

The Forest Park post office was out of the Eid stamps this week, and a worker said there were no plans to order more. At the Mason location, the Eid stamps were on display. A postal worker said they were selling slowly, like some other specialty stamps, including sets featuring composer Leonard Bernstein.

Bonni Manies, Cincinnati district spokeswoman for the Postal Service, says the Eid stamp is to be displayed and sold just like any special issue stamp. Although a couple of offices have called to ask whether to pull it off the shelves, Ms. Manies says the consumer affairs office has not received any complaints.

Nationally, the agency has heard some negative comments about the stamp, says Roy Betts, manager of special communications at the U.S. Postal Service in Washington, D.C. But, he says, most feedback has been positive.

A Muslim-themed stamp was chosen to reflect the religious diversity in America, Mr. Betts says. The Postal Service issues 35 to 40 new stamps a year chosen from among 50,000 recommendations and drawings submitted annually.

75 million printed

The agency printed 75 million Eid stamps, which will be sold for about a year. The Postal Service then will review the success of the Eid stamp before determining whether to issue another one, says spokeswoman Cathy Yarosky.

Ms. Assilmi launched a campaign for the stamp in 1996, when a friend's son saw a Hanukkah stamp and asked what the Muslim one looked like.

Ms. Assilmi encouraged the boy and his friends to write letters that she would forward to the Postmaster General. Ms. Assilmi contacted members of a national Muslim women's group and asked them to have their children also write. Within a week, she had 200 letters. By four months, there were 4,000 drawings with “Happy Eid America” and crayon-colored rainbows.

In June 1997, Ms. Assilmi was told the Postal Service would issue a Muslim stamp but didn't have a date. She decided to continue the campaign and put together a mile-long banner for children across the country to draw on and write letters. The next year was a postcard drive.

“Once it got started, I saw it as a wonderful opportunity to teach children they can make a difference,” says Ms. Assilmi.

It's unfortunate the Eid stamp has gotten tangled in politics, says Karen Dabdoub, administrator of the Islamic Center of Greater Cincinnati in West Chester.

When it was released last month “Everybody was so happy and proud and thrilled. Finally there was a stamp to honor one of our holidays.”
Mocker

Old May 29th, 2003, 12:56 AM       
Tell me how the muslims claim to be a religion of peace.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:01 AM       
Quote:
Why do you say that?

This, ma'am.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:08 AM       
Quote:
THE SAME WAY THE CHRISTAINS DO

BY BLOWING PEOPLE UP

-willie
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:10 AM       
Quote:
“As a first-grade student wrote, "Now, I really feel like an American,'” says Ms. Assilmi.
Queen of the Beasts
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:15 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Robo
Islam comes from the root word ‘salaam’, which means peace. It also means submitting one’s will to Allah. Thus Islam is a religion of peace, which is acquired by submitting one’s will to the will of the Supreme Creator, Allah.
What else do you want to know?
Oh and Soundtest? Go fuck yourself, you ignorant bigoted little shit.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:38 AM       
Ummm... if you're joking, ha. Otherwise, I think that was quite rude and uncalled for Xena girl. How the fuck does that make me bigoted? I was laughing at the fact that a quote like that would be hard to argue with politically. Now don't you have some wonderful, wild, and completely intriguing pictures of cats to enlighten us with?
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old May 29th, 2003, 03:28 AM       
you guys BOTH need to learn how to read

-willie

FS is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 05:56 AM       
Want me to MAILBOMB that BITCH, Proto?

But seriously, I'm glad my grandmother barely knows how to work her TV. I occasionally exchange e-mails with my older brother, and that's it.

Whenever my grandmother says something I find narrow-minded, for instance when we're watching the news at her house, I tend to just shrug and maybe make an inarticulate noise. She's quite old (almost 90), from a different time, and I wouldn't want to spend our last years together fighting. Then again, since your grandmother seems to be very socially active, I guess it's different. I used to have an uncle who would sometimes go on little rants about immigrants, and I would always go against him in that.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 09:12 AM       
You should kick her ass.
Mocker

Old May 29th, 2003, 10:39 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette X
Quote:
Islam comes from the root word ‘salaam’, which means peace. It also means submitting one’s will to Allah. Thus Islam is a religion of peace, which is acquired by submitting one’s will to the will of the Supreme Creator, Allah.
What else do you want to know?
Oh and Soundtest? Go fuck yourself, you ignorant bigoted little shit.
CHRISTIAN AND MUSLIM BOMB CONVENTION 2003

Soundtest is cool. Shut up
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:41 AM       
Quote:
What's 9/11?
Can someone explain to me ... in any context ... how this is funny? :/

Wherever you go, there you are.