Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

O71394658 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:07 PM       
I don't give a fuck what Johnny Depp thinks or says.
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Big McLargehuge is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:20 PM       
I don't care what you think or say.

Anti-Xocial is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:50 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
What is French for hypocrite?
You know what?...hypocrite IS french!

Main Entry: hyp·o·crite
Pronunciation: 'hi-p&-"krit
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Old French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritEs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai
Date: 13th century
: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
- hypocrite adjective

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychaos
#1 I hate actors with political agendas.
I hate it when news reporters with political agendas quote actors who comment on political condition to gain attention.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:33 PM       
When I was waiting to get my haircut a few weeks ago, I was reading the "Letters to the Editor" section. Some guy was writing in response to an article on Johnny Depp, in which he said that he likes America, but would rather be in France. The person writing the letter said (I'm paraphrasing) that as long as we're watching his movies, he should be patriotic "to America, not France!" I got a good guffaw out of that.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:53 PM       
Depp's opinion shouldn't matter anymore than any of ours. In theory thats how it should work but we live in the real world and celebirties attract attention like honey does to flies. depp shouldn't complain about our country and we really shouldn't chastize his country for not supporting a war. depp's comments really aren't that fact based, and seem to be just malicious and pointless. i really don't think this should be getting as much as it is... :/
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:07 PM       
Is Johnny Depp a human being? Yes. Does he have a right to say that Boy George W. Bush is a horrible president and that our country is too aggressive? Yes. That is his right as a human being, as it is France's right as a country to oppose the use of violence in any given circumstance.

Go ahead, tell me to leave the country. Just because I do not agree with the militaristic actions condoned by an escaped mental patient that just happens to be our president does NOT mean I do not love the United States for all that it stands for. I have TREMENDOUS respect for the military (hey, it's not there fault Bush sux), but that doesn't mean I cannot voice my own opinions on this subject.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:22 PM       
Quote:
Go ahead, tell me to leave the country. Just because I do not agree with the militaristic actions condoned by an escaped mental patient that just happens to be our president does NOT mean I do not love the United States for all that it stands for. I have TREMENDOUS respect for the military (hey, it's not there fault Bush sux), but that doesn't mean I cannot voice my own opinions on this subject.
You've summed it up.

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:34 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
Is Johnny Depp a human being? Yes. Does he have a right to say that Boy George W. Bush is a horrible president and that our country is too aggressive? Yes. That is his right as a human being, as it is France's right as a country to oppose the use of violence in any given circumstance.

I have no problem with what you said, or with Johhny Depp. If people want to oppose the United States, I really don't give a damn. That's your agenda, and I'll respect that. What I don't like, and what many others don't like, is people who say what you said, but have absolutely no logical backing for it. People say, "Bush sux da cock" and "War for oil" seemingly because everyone else is. Referring to the United States as too agressive? How? Instead of spouting dumb "America = puppy" bullshit, why doesn't he give a logical conclusion. I'm not saying that's what you're doing at all, I'm just saying this is a reason why many anti-war protestors draw so much heat. I don't view Johhny Depp as any other person. What he says makes absolutely no difference to me, and is no more important.

I'm still going to see OUATIM.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:35 PM       
Quote:
That's really courages, goat
everyone in america should live like that instead of blindly following the president.

Blue is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:58 PM       
Quote:
Japan has a much higher suicide rate than we do.
Most of the suicides in japan are because of people that fuck up at uni. Academic pressure is extremely high there.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:06 AM       
I still think they count, though.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:12 AM       
Count towards what? I don't see what Japans suicide rate has to do with anything, although it is an intersting bit of information.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:17 AM       
YEAH BUT THEY STILL COUNT

fishmonger is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 02:37 AM       
I'm not even sure why this is worthy of debate.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:21 AM       
I'm pleased to see this got the kind of response it did.

I like it when celebrities speak up, even if they don't speak well. It seems to me that when an actor or musician speaks out about something, it's usually controversial, and that fosters real discussion. So maybe when Susan Sarandon or whoever stands up and yells about something, it certainly draws attention to that topic. So maybe that leads some people to stop and examine their position on a subject. And maybe that kind of introspection leads that person to the conclusion that, let's say for an example, "Hey, the current administration is a group of vicious pricks," and then that leads to a new president in 2004. Just, you know, hypothetically speaking.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 11:17 AM       
I'd appreciate more if he expressed himself more coherently and intelligently. With much power comes much responsibility. Regardless of how he meant it, he didn't say " the current administration" in his blanket statements about americans. If he truly meant that about americans, than he should learn the old "bite the hand that feeds you" addage. This is where the hypocrisy comes in. I'd like to see his european movie sales vs his american sales. That and the "puttin' on airs" prentensious attitude of an outsider looking in (and down) burned my ass. Know your roots, boy!

Wherever you go, there you are.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 11:57 AM       
A stupid puppy is at least endearingly loveable.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 02:26 PM       
I'm coming round. I think Charleton Heston should shut the hell up. And Schvatzenegronpk. And Reagan. And that guy who played Gopher on the love boat. And Sonny Bono... Oh, wait, he did shut up.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 02:43 PM       
As soon as they enter politics, all celebrities must take a mandatory ski trip.

Anyway, ya, Depp has an opinion and can say what he thinks( he might want to try the last part before he speaks next time), but, so can I. If I think he is full of shit, not only will I say so, I'm gonna back it up.

Also, I can't believe I missed this:

He wants to live in France because it is safer for his kids?

"Hi, Johnny? This is Roman Polanski. I was wondering if you needed a babysitter tonight."
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 02:49 PM       
@ El Blanco.

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 03:04 PM       
I don't get it, wasn't roman's baby sprayed across the floor of his house in a bloody massacre?

Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 05:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychaos
I'd appreciate more if he expressed himself more coherently and intelligently. With much power comes much responsibility. Regardless of how he meant it, he didn't say " the current administration" in his blanket statements about americans. If he truly meant that about americans, than he should learn the old "bite the hand that feeds you" addage. This is where the hypocrisy comes in. I'd like to see his european movie sales vs his american sales. That and the "puttin' on airs" prentensious attitude of an outsider looking in (and down) burned my ass. Know your roots, boy!
The article said "until the political climate changes," so that means he was talking about the current administration and not Americans in general. And it's not the politicians that are making him money, it's the movie goers, and he never bitched about them. Finally, what's pretentious about criticizing a foreign country's government? He used to live here, after all, and I'm sure he's spent plenty of time here since he moved to France. I'd say he's in as good a position to speak his mind as any of us; the fact that we're still here doesn't make us special. Hell, if things keep going the way they are, I'm going to keep on blasting the US government long after I move to Britain.

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:17 PM       
Actor Johnny Depp Disavows Anti-American Quotes

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Denying any anti-American sentiment on his part, actor Johnny Depp (news) said on Thursday that quotes attributed to him as likening the United States to a "dumb puppy" were inaccurate and taken out of context.

"I am an American. I love my country and have great hopes for it," Depp said in a statement released by his Los Angeles-based publicist. "It is for this reason that I speak candidly and sometimes critically about it. I have benefited greatly from the freedom that exists in my country and for this I am eternally grateful."

Depp, currently starring in the swashbuckling film "Pirates of the Caribbean," issued the statement a day after the German news magazine Stern published an interview in which he ridiculed Washington's confrontation with France, where he lives, over the U.S. war in Iraq (news - web sites).

The magazine quoted the actor as saying "America is ... like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you, aggressive." He was further quoted as saying he wanted his children to "see America as ... a broken toy" that they should explore, get the feel of, then "get out."

Explaining his comments a day later, Depp he had been using a metaphor that was taken "radically out of context," adding, "There was no anti-American sentiment."

"What I was saying was that, compared to Europe, America is a very young country and we are still growing as a nation," he said. "My deepest apologies to those who were offended, affected, or hurt by this insanely twisted deformation of my words and intent."

His spokeswoman added that the Kentucky-born Depp, 40, lives in the south of France with his family because his wife, actress-singer Vanessa Paradis (news), is French.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 10:52 PM       
I want to see a full-text interview, otherwise I'm going to stop believing anything I hear from or about Johnny Depp, good or bad. Fucking journalists.

That bears repeating. FUCKING JOURNALISTS