Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 07:47 PM       
Interesting. How is society keeping you down, exactly?
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 08:46 PM       
Yea, I'd rather spend my 100's of dollars on power tools and a 6,000 dollar big screen plasma television, a corvette, and a nice computer to post messages on this message board.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 09:18 PM       
power tools serve a purpose as does a computer. Paying more usually means a significant increase in quality. What is the difference between a $5 purse and $190 purse? Don't they both carry your stuff?

And who here started defending blowing 6k on a TV?
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 10:25 PM       
How is society keeping me down? Simple. I am what you would call a "nerd", "geek", "dork", or any other name you can think of. It is mostly not those people who make the big time, is it? It is the muscle-headed jocks that give people like me swirlies that get the recognition in the sports industry, or the self absorbed preps that get the recognition in the fashion, entertainment, or just about every other industry you can think of. I, however, will NOT end up to be in charge of much more than a family, God willing. I will attempt to change my position in today's heirarchy, but I will NOT sacrifice myself for what other people think is the "best" way to live.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 10:32 PM       
What are you complaining about? You bitch that people unlike you are the ones who are successful, then you say, "God willing", you will NOT end up to be in charge of much more than a family, which means you would rather be mediocre as an adult.

If you just misstated yourself and you *do* want to be successful, let me name a couple of famous or successful geeks: Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, along with half of the important people at half the software companies that exist today. And if you don't want to be called a nerd or a dork, it's more productive to change the faults that draw those labels instead of whining.

EDIT: I just read your previous post. Such self-righteous nonsense. Look at the two names I listed up there. Nerds of the highest degree. But innovators. Free thinkers. Bullshit, society looks down on free thought. Society looks down on mindless drones who fit in to the lower levels of the social pyramid and then try to think for themselves. Be a leader instead of a drone, don't listen to what your peers tell you, and above all else quit telling yourself and everyone else that you've got it bad. If you don't want to be a geek, don't be a geek. If you want to be accepted by everyone and not looked down on, just blend in don't tell everyone you think for yourself. But if you want to rise above where you think you are, just don't listen to them and do things your own way anyway.
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 10:37 PM       
I meant "God Willing" I will have a family.

And also, I could never make it in one of those software companies, because I SUCK at math, science, and anything else that is required for computer technology.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 10:43 PM       
What kind of nerd are you, God willing?
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 10:49 PM       
How old are you Immortal Goat? Let me let you in on a little secret: those big, cool jocks will get bald and fat in a few years, and all that drinking and lack of studying doesn't help either.
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 10:57 PM       
I'm 17.

How old are YOU, soundtest?
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 11:06 PM       
I resent that. I drink and don't study, and I'm doing perfectly well.
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 11:38 PM        Purse
Quote:
What is the difference between a $5 purse and $190 purse? Don't they both carry your stuff?
Have you ever bought a cheap backpack?
How about Payless shoes?
Or clothes from Target?
They just don't hold up like their higher price better quality counterparts.

Now, I would never pay $190.00 for a super trendy 1 season only purse. However, a classic piece will last you a lifetime....that I may consider.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:04 AM       
700 bucks for an accessory is overboard anyway you see it. You basically pay for the brand name, not for ever-lasting guaranteed functionality. I have a school bag which I bought 6 years ago for like, 30 bucks and which I still daily use. It's carried books, tools, guitar pedals, dismembered parts I was particularily fond off for countless miles and it's still holding up pretty well besides a small mending of one of the cords. I don't even have a second bag.

So why are you giving Immortal Goat a hard time, soundtest? He IS stating the obvious, but that's hardly a good enough reason, I think.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:13 AM       
Man. This whine fest is pretty damn sad. What the hell ever happened to "being yourself"?

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:13 AM       
If you make enough money to buy it and it makes you happy....who cares? While I may think it's stupid, that's my opinion and has nothing to do with them.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:15 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
Man. This whine fest is pretty damn sad. What the hell ever happened to "being yourself"?
Vince is actually making sense for once. This thread is fucking stupid.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:23 AM       
Goats comments about accesory bashing were just stating the obvious, but it was his bullshit about soceity keeping him down, that made me ashamed to be called a goat.
But really, Perndog and Soundtest basically summed it up.
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:44 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm
So why are you giving Immortal Goat a hard time, soundtest? He IS stating the obvious, but that's hardly a good enough reason, I think.
I didn't think I was giving anybody a hard time. My 'fat bald jock' post was a 'hey dude it's gonna be ok' reply despite the fact that his ' THE WORLD IS AGAINST ME ' post was weak at best. But I'll give reasons anyway.

Quote:
I fear for my future. Not because of anything that is wrong with me, but with the rest of the teenagers out there.
This is pretty arrogant.

It is arrogant AND the point he was trying to make was completely obvious.

It's nobody's business what others spend their money on, and you can't judge someone's ability to 'be president' on something like that. Personally, I would never buy anything with a brand name. I think it's ridiculous. But I'm not gonna assume somebody is an idiot because they pay $700 for a handbag. It's their own choice what they want to spend their money on, and practicality has nothing to do with it.
Mocker

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:52 AM       
No there are things one can deduct from another man's buying habits. And I don't see it as being wrong to talk about that. I see it as distinctively wrong however that you'd rather not judge a person's habit at say, buying purses for 700 bucks in the spirit that what each man does is his own buisness.

I think that actual choice as you say has very little to do with the way most westerners overspend. It's more of a socially programmed reaction to go out and buy stuff whenever you feel down and most people don't give it a second thought. And what I just said was obvious too but you don't seem to take it into account.
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 01:34 AM       
Everyone is socially programmed in one way or another. When I see a woman with an LV handbag, the first thing that pops into my mind is "stuck up bitch". Is she? I don't know. Is she stupid because of this purchase? What about someone in a BMW? They could certainly drive a Honda and save a lot of money. That would seem a lot smarter to me. But does this make them less intelligent? Does it make them a rich snob? Maybe, maybe not.

Now what about someone who sees an LV handbag and thinks "Wow! What fashion sense!"? Are they stupid for thinking that? Is their programmed reaction less valid than mine? How can generalizations from subjective opinions be objective? One can argue that their opinion is not subjective because the media or some other force is influencing all their decisions. Do similar forces, although maybe less 'mainstream', not influence mine? I think everyone is influenced with their purchases to some extent.

Sure, you can deduct a great deal of information from someone's attire regarding their buying habits, but to jump forward with firm assumptions about the individual's itelligence from that alone? I wouldn't (once I get past my initial socially programmed response, of course).
Mocker

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:22 AM       
Yes I see what you're saying. I'm not saying that you should go on the initial impression but it should be worthy of mention. If you were to completely disregard past empyrical knowledge and statistic fact (like to make an extreme example how adults that go and buy britney spears records are most likely very base) then you're stuck in the strange position of having to rely on no knowledge at all. Are you prepared to treat every human being you meet as if it's the first time? Obviously there's exceptions and you're right to be hesitant towards generisation. I'm talking about the middle ground.
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 10:53 AM       
Middle ground is kinda what I was getting at. All I'm saying is that I think it is dangerous to make huge generalizations based on pre-conceived notions. Immortal Goat basically concluded that anyone spending that much on a handbag is an idiot. I'm sure some people that do probably are, but then by default is everyone who shops at Target intelligent, or at least, slightly more? Jumping to a conclusion like that is rash and to underestimate someone's intelligence based on that alone is careless. Maybe buying that LV handbag would create a good impression during a job interview? In that case the bag paid for itself. Then would it be a stupid purchase? Obviously I don't like the fact that the world works like that sometimes, but my hating someone for spending a lot of money on a brand name isn't going to change that.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 11:14 AM       
If an adult can afford and really wants to spend 700 on a purse who am I to question, sure I personally think it is stupid , but I also spend lots of money on electronics and computers that others might find stupid.

But I dont think that was the point of the thread. I thought it was more about kids. I think there is something wrong with kids not working a day in their lives yet gettin their parents to buy them expensive clothing and brand new cars and cell phones. Most kids like this that want everything handed to them and arent going too be good for society.

but the way this thread has turned maybe thats not what it was about.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 11:29 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette X
Fuck, how do they get that kind of money? Do their parents pay for it all or are they high class call girls?
Suburban prostitution is the new craze. They roam the local malls doling out the BJs. Not only is it economical, it's convienient. They can do their business and buy a $190.00 purse and it's all within walking distance.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 11:57 AM        Purses
Quote:
700 bucks for an accessory is overboard anyway you see it
I so agree......and I own one......
Like I said, I'll defend the quality but not the price.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:01 PM       
I refuse to buy my dog a sweater no matter how good the quality is!

Wherever you go, there you are.