Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM        Weekly Game Review: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Game Review: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 08:14 PM       
THIS GAME MADE ME SO MAD
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM       
Me too. Luckily, video game rentals were only for 2 days back then, so I put it out of my mind and moved onto the next.

The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 08:29 PM       
I owned it, so of course it tormented me forever. I got past the underwater level once but had like ONE turtle left at that point, and he very quickly died.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM       
I loved this game actually, but yes, it was insanely frustrating at times... especially with those damned underwater time bomb defusing levels. I also didn't like how they made my favorite turtle, Raphael, the least useful one of the entire group. Raph is a total badass, yet the one turtle you always wanted to keep alive in this game was Donatello. On the plus side, I did eventually beat the game and was quite proud of it at the time. It also has one of the better soundtracks from the NES era thanks to good ol' Konami.
Serial Loiterer
Tom Foolery is probably a spambot
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 09:41 PM       
I sacrificed two NES controllers, one volume control knock, one NES console, and two copies of the game itself to the gods of frustration and anger while playing this game. I made it to the technodrome last time I played it on the Wii. Then I kicked a hole in the wall and vowed never to touch this game again.
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM       
my brother and i pooled our money following christmas and bought this game shortly after it came out, it was the last one at toysrus. we felt very fortunate :o turtles fans were we, and it was unusual for us to get a game near its release cuz our rents hated how we screamed at the tv and said we had to buy games ourselves and shoulder the blame for our own unhappiness. anywayz

it wasnt til years later that i heard about how this game is almost universally hated, but i didnt understand why. i mean, battletoads, ninja gaiden, countless others enjoyed popularity despite their painful difficulty. this was a game with good controls, good sounds, great music, and far from impossible. though you definitely had to work for it.

the arcade game was massively popular, and thats the game people wanted to come home, not some platformer however solid it was. but still, i liked this game. when i wasn't screaming at it.

the bomb defusing part wasn't that hard though sorry :<
lurking on the walls
saturnknight is probably a spambot
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 09:58 PM       
i used to own the game, and i have the rom now, but i agree, it is frustrating.

Last edited by Mockery : Feb 8th, 2008 at 01:38 AM.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM       
the angry nintendo nerd sucks at nintendo games, i'd be angry too
The Magnificent Bastard
Tetsu Deinonychus is probably a spambot
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:54 PM       
Anyway, while it is insanely hard, I always have and always will LOVE this game.

In fact, the sequels kinda bore me. They're fun to play with a friend, but on your own, they're pretty dull.

This one was more-so the "loner's TMNT game", and I like that.

Also, I once watched a friend of mine, that lived next door, beat the whole game without a Game-Genie or anything like that. It was amazing!

Last edited by Mockery : Feb 8th, 2008 at 01:38 AM.
neoboman is probably a spambot
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:23 PM       
That is one of his better videos.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:40 PM       
There was a time that I considered this the best game ever, but I can't remember seeing the Turtle Van stage more than once.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:49 PM       
Way to spam up the article, guys

The bomb part was not THAT hard. The only thing about this game is that if you switched turtles, the other ones didn't heal, as though they sat in the turtle van and continued to bleed while your next turtle went out and got his ass kicked.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 12:09 AM       
thats why you find an area with a close-to-the-entrance pizza and keep goin back and forth to it until everyone's better

PROTIP:
leonardo and michaelangelo do more damage when their health is low, so don't worry so much about them getting damaged
OH GOD
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 12:16 AM       
PROTIP #2
the boomerang is the second-best throwing weapon - it doesn't have a very long range, but once one of your characters gets it you can give it to all of them by having the character who has them throw three and then switching to another turtle, who then catches them and hey presto now two turtles have throwing weapons.
CEO Boobs
dj boobs is probably a spambot
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 01:13 AM       
Where is the DAMN ROPE!!! I don't know what they're talking about!
CEO Boobs
dj boobs is probably a spambot
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 01:16 AM       
Seriously, though; I played through the first level of this game so many times that I could actually get through the damn dam untouched but I still never made it past the second level.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 01:41 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
Way to spam up the article, guys

The bomb part was not THAT hard. The only thing about this game is that if you switched turtles, the other ones didn't heal, as though they sat in the turtle van and continued to bleed while your next turtle went out and got his ass kicked.
Took care o' the spam.

Anyway, I recall the bomb part was pretty tricky where you had to swim through that electrified-seaweed crap. Defusing them on time wasn't too hard, it was just getting through it without losing too much of your turtle energy... or, I suppose I should say, your turtle power.

T.U.R.T.L.E. POWER
lurking on the walls
saturnknight is probably a spambot
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM       
The bomb part is easier for us now because we've become more patient at that stage as we got older, i know as a kid, if i never had a Game Genie, i'd have never passed it. besides, as a kid, who wanted to finish a stage without using their favourite turtle?
Forum Chaos Lord
Jaimas is probably a spambot
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 08:41 AM       
I remember using Mikey for the Bomb defusal segment because he generally was the worst; at least Raph had speed on his side. The game's biggest emphasis is knowing where to go and who to use when; patience is a huge virtue in this game. That one electric seaweed segment can suck the whitest part of my ass, though.

Well, that, and being a dick and stockpiling Scrolls. Lots of them. It's the strongest sub-weapon and horribly rapes most bosses.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM       
Raph shined against flying enemies, if he hit a flying enemy he did as much damage as Don. He was far from useless, it was just more of a specialized useful. I remember the whole Mike doing more damage when hurt thing, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together then, I just thought it was some sort of glitch.

I hated the bombs in the dam stage too, but I learned that economic swapping of turtles along with going in and out of the building near the beginning of stage three to recover health made this stage one of the easiest ones actually.

Overall, I thought it was one of the better NES games. I still have my copy.
is hopped up on goofballs
rizzo is probably a spambot
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM       
The bomb stage was cake, the problem was I could never figure out where the hell to go after beating it. Which damn manhole? I don't friggen know!!
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM       
While I agree that the game was almost impossible to beat, it was one of my favorite NES games when I was a kid. I still prefer TMNT 2, though.
The Magnificent Bastard
Tetsu Deinonychus is probably a spambot
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 04:04 PM       
(Sorry, about my contribution to the spam earlier, wasn't thinking).

Does anybody else here love the intro movie? Not to mention, the way they used the comic's art-style for it (Hell, the picture on the label is the cover of issue #4).

Also, gotta love the music during that intro. I came to associate that song with TMNT as much as the classic toon theme song.

Damn, I love this game!
Forum Virgin
Furry_Fan is probably a spambot
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 05:32 PM       
hate this goddamn game.. played till i got to the dam and every time the bomb defuse shit screwed me over.. I think i made it past that part like once or twice without cheating as a kid...