Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ass Happy
Yggdrasill sucks
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 08:42 AM        Piers Anthony
In 8th grade i'd read about a book a day from him. Re-reading these books now 7 years later i'm seeing flaws and plot holes in pretty much anything I read. But I want to recapture the magic that made me love him. Being an adult sucks you guys.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 03:10 PM       
i didnt see flaws and plotholes so much as i saw creepy pedophilia/horse fuckery
Ass Happy
Yggdrasill sucks
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:40 AM       
I just came across Norton the time incarnation thinking, "I love her even as a child,..." and thought of you. Still waiting for horsey sex but I think that was a Xanth thing.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM       
try the adept series, the main guy has a romance w/ a unicorn AND a robot

'course the unicorn can shapeshift into a woman but still
Ass Happy
Yggdrasill sucks
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:46 PM       
I think I may have to procure a list of books for my psychologists to refer to. I tend to absorb character traits from novels and this may very well explain a lot!
Blue Fox is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM       
he writes the Xanth novels right?

I like those, but they get on my nerves sometimes since i'm a somewhat okay reader and the Xanth books seen like they are for somewhat retarted adults at times.
Ass Happy
Yggdrasill sucks
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:47 PM       
I wish I knew you guys in jr. high. Really.
Ringmonster
J. Tithonus Pednaud is probably a spambot
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 09:35 AM       
Man, I loved Xanth as a kid. I think his first in the series was the first 'real book' I read. But you can't go back - and it sucks. The books do exist in this strange land of limbo though. Plot holes don't make much of a difference in a book build around puns. (Isle of View...anyone....anyone)

He did some more adult oriented fantasy though. His Battle Circle series was really good. As I recall, I was a teenager at the time.

I also really enjoyed the work of Watt-Evans. All of his books involved underdogs making good. The Misenchanted Sword likely being his best work.

Terry Brooks 'Kingdom For Sale' series was quite Xanth like and these days a bit of Christopher Moore usually fills my need for literary puns.

I haven't read anything really in the fantasy realm in decades though, so I could be way off on my recommendations. Just about everything was 'wicked' when I was 13.

Except for the stuff that was lame, of course.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 11:36 AM       
The last fantasy book I ever read was Grunts.
Forum Virgin
Clockwork is probably a spambot
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:36 AM       
I read one of his Xanth books; my brother had a lot of them. It was about some 14-year-old black girl who everyone wanted to fuck, and on her quest, to do something boring I've forgotten the details of, she is aided by the spirit of a (male) tree who resides in her mind. There's some shit about zombies, too. I also seem to recall that there was a masturbation scene w/the girl and the tree at some point.

It was a totally awesome reading experience for my preadolescent self.
Ass Happy
Yggdrasill sucks
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 08:01 PM       
Zombie lover? I'd fuck a zombie king.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 12:34 PM       
I haven't read Xanth since I was 14 or 15 I think

Some of the shit creeped me out but by and large it's pretty standard fantasy fare. There are much more fucked up couplings than people and unicorns.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 06:33 AM       
The books/series I really liked by him when I was a kid were the "incarnations of immortality" and the "bio of a space tyrant."

The incarnations of immortality is about becoming uh the incarnations of immortality i guess. The first book I read was called on a Pale Horse and in it the main character was going to commit suicide and accidently shot death in the head in killed him, so he had to take his place. Same thing happens with war, nature, time, satan and i guess god maybe but i never read the last book in the series.

bio of a space tyrant is kind of cool, as well. The series covers the life of a boy from being a boy who was raped by pedophiles to becoming a space tyrant. Pretty good space novel... people even explode or implode or whichever they do when hulls are breached!

lol and is the horsey sex book the one with that suicidal girl who travels between dimensions and challenges mobsters to a game of bleeding?
Ass Happy
Yggdrasill sucks
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 03:16 AM       
I think the best of those books is the one about Fate. I recieved a referral to the dean in 8th grade because of my book report on And Eternity.(the God book) It was a public school but I guess Idaho is just shitty.

Last edited by Yggdrasill : Aug 26th, 2007 at 07:42 PM. Reason: BLASPHEMY
MY DAD
MrAdventure is probably a real personMrAdventure is probably a real person
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:17 AM       
whoa, you got a referral? i actually had a seventh grade teacher beam with pride and offer to assist me in getting the book (i think it was ogre, ogre) as it wasnt considered appropriate for the library in our junior high (this was also in idaho). however, to be fair to the idaho stereotypes, my older brother was sent to the counsellor in the same school district for dying his hair black

anthony is a fucking creep, and having read his books almost makes me feel like i should be in some sitcom style support group for it, though whether it would be due to the atrocious and lazy pun use or his fuck it if it moves and stick your dick in it if it doesnt writing style i cant quite tell
Ass Happy
Yggdrasill sucks
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:59 AM       
I think it was something like, "you can't discuss god m'kay" and they suggested I read those horrible child abuse stories that are popular in Jr High.
possible jerk

Magreaux is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 05:08 PM       
I read one of the "Incarnations of Immortality" books in which the protagonist somehow disables and usurps Satan and all of his minions, many of which seemed to be evil naked women with huge breasts, simply by singing to them. Even at the age of fourteen, in my embarassing Anton LaVey satanic glory days, I thought it was immature.
Ass Happy
Yggdrasill sucks
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 05:12 PM       
The war book was extremely confusing, and probably the worst.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM       
I liked the Time one personally :o
Ass Happy
Yggdrasill sucks
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 11:59 PM       
Oh man i'm completley drawing a blank but there is one series I never finished that I want to. Does anyone know the name of the series where the character is traveling to other planets or something and is playing with his calculator. That chapter was called "ghost in the machine" I think. I can't find any information and I can't remember but I think it was a trilogy. I got like halfway through the first book.
Ass Happy
Yggdrasill sucks
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 05:34 PM       
I got it it was the Tarot series.