Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 06:53 AM        How do domain statistics work?
I'm looking through my statistics, and I see I've got over thirty visitors from the page http://x-entertainment.com/articles/0822/ . I've opened the source on that page and searched for anything that could resemle a link to wy own site, but there's nothing. This happens all the time. I get loads of hits from TheOneRing.net, Something Awful, FARK and all kinds of other sites, but there are no links. I guess there could be a mix-up now and then where people would leave XE or whatever to check for updates at my site in the same browser window and then that would count as a referral, but when I get over thirty hits from one page, it looks really suspicious.

Anyone know what's going on?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 06:28 PM       
It could be that there *was* a link to your site on that page, but it has since been removed.

However, some browsers will treat the previous page that it was looking at as the HTTP_REFERRER, even though that page has absolutely nothing to do with yours. For example, on a browser that does that, you could be looking at I-Mockery, and then go to any site that was in your bookmarks list and that new site would count I-Mockery as a referrer.

Stuff like this can also happen on sites that open external links in a new, specifically named (rather than _blank) browser window, and people just don't bother to close that window as they click on each link (kinda like Fark).
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:22 PM       
They also can be loading images off your server. That happens to me all the time... sometimes I'll have to hunt down people on message boards and tell them to host their own avatars instead o' leaching my bandwidth.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 11:56 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
Stuff like this can also happen on sites that open external links in a new, specifically named (rather than _blank) browser window, and people just don't bother to close that window as they click on each link (kinda like Fark).
That one sounds logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery
They also can be loading images off your server. That happens to me all the time... sometimes I'll have to hunt down people on message boards and tell them to host their own avatars instead o' leaching my bandwidth.
Yeah, I get that a lot. Damn thieving bastards.