Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:27 AM        Has Bush Fallen Off The Wagon?
That's what the National Enquirer says.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Supermarket Tabloid.

But as a barometer of the national mood, I find it interesting. Personally I think he's been boozing off and on throughout his Presidency. I mean, I've never bought that whole 'i banged mah haid on the coffee table when ah choked on a pretzel.' thing.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:45 AM        Re: Has Bush Fallen Off The Wagon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
That's what the National Enquirer says.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Supermarket Tabloid.

But as a barometer of the national mood, I find it interesting. Personally I think he's been boozing off and on throughout his Presidency. I mean, I've never bought that whole 'i banged mah haid on the coffee table when ah choked on a pretzel.' thing.
Considering all the other shit you believe, Max, I'm quite suprised you couldn't swallow this one.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:52 AM       
If I promise to be nice to you, will you stay? We all love you here, Vince. This is where you belong.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:08 PM       
Even if this were true, I think it's an interesting debate over what is and isn't the business of the American people.

Certainly I wouldn't want a guy who's sloshed 24/7 to be in charge of the free world, but what if "falling off the wagon" means the man got weak and had a glass of wine?

Past presidents were heavy drinkers, and others (namely FDR) deceived the American people in various ways.

I'm just inclined to say "don't go there" on this one.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:17 PM       
Well, I suppose the question would be is he an alchaholic? If he is, then a glass of wine isn't going to be a glass of wine (and honestly, I can't imagine wine was ever his problem.)

If the answer is yes, than it's absolutely everybodies business.

If the answer is no, he just really liked the sauce, then who cares?

The problem is, with his personality, unless you were close enough to smell his breath, how in the world would you know? He may have been shit faced for his entire presidency.
Mocker
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:30 PM       
I suppose you're right, I just think it's one of those tread lightly kind of things......

I have seen pictures of him drinking what at least appears to be alcohol, so I dunno.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:34 PM       
Kev; go check out the story I just posted about the administreation appointing a Veterinarian to be the head of Women's Health for the FDA, then replacing him and denying the whole thing ever happened.

ALL of these guys are boozing it up.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:46 PM       
I wouldnt be surprise if it was true that Bush had been drunk during his entire presidency, clouding his judgement and impairing his speech while giving his speech to the public.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:48 PM       
i bet a good number of his right-wing religious supporters--like my parents--wouldn't be happy about his drinking even a bit.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:50 PM       
Didn't anyone see that Mad TV skit where a man wakes up to find that he's the president, and that not only is he the best presidebt, but he's been drunk the whole time?

Mocker
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 01:02 PM       
From the National Enquirer:

"Following the shocking incident, disclosed here for the first time, Laura privately warned her husband against "falling off the wagon" and vowed to travel with him more often so that she can keep an eye on Dubya, the sources add.

"When the levees broke in New Orleans, it apparently made him reach for a shot," said one insider. "He poured himself a Texas-sized shot of straight whiskey and tossed it back. The First Lady was shocked and shouted: "Stop George!"

"Laura gave him an ultimatum before, 'It's Jim Beam or me.' She doesn't want to replay that nightmare - especially now when it's such tough going for her husband.""

Now, if this is the case, then I don't know. I feel like a moment of weakness may not be our damn business. I understand the political implications, and I see why people might jump on it, but personally I feel it's a bit of a low blow (if it's even true to begin with).
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:56 PM       
i just thought it was funny
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 05:26 PM       
With a rich history of attempted impeachment for banging certain secretary, I have to say.. is anything not our business?
And what's with the president drinking jim beam? You know he can afford something better... cheap bastid', we should impeach him on those grounds alone.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 06:31 PM       
Come on, pay attention to the article. That ultimatum was made before he had the absurd $200 K presidential salary.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 06:44 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
And what's with the president drinking jim beam? You know he can afford something better... cheap bastid', we should impeach him on those grounds alone.
Seriously. He's the most powerful man in the free world and has been a billionaire his whole life. You'd think he'd have something a little better than Redneck Chardonay handy.

Atleast some Glenn Fiddich or something.

That said, I don't think one bad moment would make him "off the wagon".

However, this is a 24/7 job we're talking about, so a lot of his private life is our bussiness. Especially if he's making desicions drunk or drinking in the Oval Office.
Mocker
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 06:49 PM       
Certainly, if he's boozing up all of the time, that's a no-no. But it also sounds like Laura would put a stop to it pretty fast if he were. I also think that if it were bad enough, even some of the most unethical members of his administration would make him straighten up, or out him on it. At least I'd like to believe that. :/

Being Irish, I have sympathy for alcoholics.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:58 PM       
nevermind.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 09:38 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Certainly, if he's boozing up all of the time, that's a no-no. But it also sounds like Laura would put a stop to it pretty fast if he were. I also think that if it were bad enough, even some of the most unethical members of his administration would make him straighten up, or out him on it. At least I'd like to believe that. :/

Being Irish, I have sympathy for alcoholics.
Laura is on so many anti-depressants and sedatives, I doubt she even knows where she is....that glazed over look only comes from medication.....
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 12:46 PM       
And yet, she made a joke in a speech about her husband jerking off a horse. Go figure.
Mocker
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:01 PM       
tangent-- the joke John Stewart did regarding that on the Daily Show was one of the funniest thing's I've seen in years, and then awkwardly discussing it with Zell Miller on the very same show...! Classic.