Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 02:35 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Modular
Like Proto, I have no plans of leaving our country, but if I did, I'd pick Switzerland. It's neutral, the Geography is nice, and they make nice knives.
Don't forget, if you're a facist government, then there is no country with banks and governments as institutionally blind as the ones in Switzerland, who will gladly launder the money you steal from the victims of your pogroms.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 03:26 PM       
Sspad, I wouldn't want you to go either. While we may be as ideologically opposed as anybody ever could be, I believe that we both want what is best for America. Dissident voices are a sign of a healthy democracy and yours is one of the few intelligent ones these days.

If you're looking for a place where people aren't ignorant or self-absorbed, I think you'll be disappointed by most of Europe (from my personal experiences, at least). But if you do decide to leave the country, I would suggest Italy.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 03:44 PM       
Neutral countries are the easiest targets.

I think moving out of America won't really solve anything. When we go down we are going to take everyone with us. And America won't be going down in our lifetimes anyways. Our government is built to prevent the things you think Bush will become from happening. He won't be taking over the country as a dictator. But don't move to Europe. They are a museum. They just want to be there. They want nothing new or exciting. That atleast is my experience with the Europeans and countires in Europe. If you like hooker,s drugs and good beer move to Amsterdam.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 03:54 PM       
Thanks, Italian. I really do hope things change for the better here.

A year or two ago, Miss Modular brought up the fact that only two democratic republics had lasted over two hundred years- the Roman Empire, and us. Ever since then, I've thought a lot about that, and what would happen if the shit hit the fan here. I mean, it does happen. Empires fall. Ask the British, or the Mongols, or the Romans. I think that things have gotten so good and so easy in standard-of-living terms, that it seems we've developed a sort of immortality/invincibility complex. Well, we're neither. And we, as a country, need to get that through our heads as quickly and thoroughly as possible. We've grown complacent and lazy, and as a result, our constitution has been trampled, and more of our rights are being stripped away. I'm not confident that the populace will get its collective shit together in time, but I do still hold on to hope.
Mocker
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 03:56 PM       
I agree with you and I think if we look at the fall of Rome we can find many paralells to the United States and its current state.
Will chop you good.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 04:06 PM       
Quote:
Our government is built to prevent the things you think Bush will become from happening.
Ant, Bush is stripping away the checks and balances. He is dismantling the government we all learned about in Civics class. EDIT: And it's not just Bush that I'm afraid of. It's also what's going to come after him. Like Max said, Bush is a precursor. Through repeatedly invoking 9-11, he and his crew have gotten away with shit that no one could ever have pulled off before. Those that follow him will likely be worse than he is.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 04:17 PM       
I was getting very pissed off when you were being accused of whining, Sspad. All you were doing was asking for advice. I can see where you are coming from, too. I may only be 18, but I like to pay attention to politics, and I do not like the way the future looks for this country. Go ahead and move where you want, just make sure you have the internet so you can stay on these old boards. In my book, you will always be welcome here.

Oh, and I wouldn't reccomend Tibet or Etheopia, although you could probably afford to buy both of them.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 04:28 PM       
LEAVE, DAMN IT.

I might lead the next Civil War, since there really isn't a libertarian country to emmigrate to.
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 04:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The One and Only...
LEAVE, DAMN IT.

I might lead the next Civil War, since there really isn't a libertarian country to emmigrate to.
So you're saying you would lead a civil war to impose a system of governance where every person is free to do what he/she wants?

How libertarian of you, you ideological moron.
Mocker
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 04:57 PM       
I'd probably just take a couple states out of the union, and leave the rest alone if Abe Lincoln II didn't come along.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 10:21 AM       
Chess Club, Fencing and now the REBEL ALIANCE!!! WHOOOO-HOOOO!! WATCHOUT!! I can here the stampeding feet of your follower!
Suck 'n' Fuck is probably a spambot
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:24 PM       
Sspad, I think you should seriously look into moving to Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, or Holland. The vast majority of people in those countries speak english, so the language barrier is no big deal.

Thanks to the welfare state model, the Scandinavian countries have some of the best living standards in the world. For example, Norway is #1 on the UN's quality of life index or whatever the fuck that thing is called. Holland is all right, and they have legal pot. It isn't 100% legal but that doesn't matter.

I've done a lot of research into those countries, especially Sweden, Norway, and Holland. I'm seriously considering moving to Europe, most likely Sweden, Holland, or Norway, after I graduate from college.

Good luck escaping the clutches of the thought police.
Mocker
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:06 PM       
That's because the WHO is a big, giant, and steaming crock of shit.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:20 PM       
Come to greece. I'll let you stay at my place indefinately because I like you and I don't mind being irritated. Good food, good people, hairy women. We have a vast gray city which is athens and it's very comfortable to be a nameless nobody until you die in one of it's appartments. I touch walls as I walk the road to the dentist (hey, social health care!) and my fingertips go solid black from the soldified smog and dust. Women smile to you in the street and you don't have to smile back unless you like that sort of thing. There's magazines on the stands that have been out of date for months, and if you look hard enough you'll find an underground store specializing in anything a man could ever want. You can use the faulty subway system and have smelly drunks rub themselves on you, while nameless building after nameless building sweeps by outside. There's people that like what you like here and you can get to see them only for as much as you like at the time. There's going to be a war soon, and that's going to be terrible. I like greece.
Suck 'n' Fuck is probably a spambot
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 05:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The One and Only...
That's because the WHO is a big, giant, and steaming crock of shit.
The Guess Who?
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Quote:
And what is this about "making threats"? I made a simple statement, and specifically said for assholes like you to save your comments.
"If you don't agree with me, shut up." Fuck you. You posted on a message board where everyone can see it, retard. Don't get pissy because someone with a difference in opinion responds. Thats what bloggers are for.
Since when is saying "shut up" a threat?
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 11:09 AM       
I was refering to sspad's threat to leave. I don 't actually think it will happen, just a lot of hot air.

The whole "shut up" thing was what really pissed me off. The whole rant felt like some desperate cry for attention.

"I'm leaving and I want a bunch of people to post and say how much they love me. And if you have a different opinion, you suck and are an asshole."

That is basically what I read at the begining of the thread. The rest became the same party line being towed.

Ironically, had sspad not made the whole "assholes who have different opinions shut up" comment, I would have made a quick smart ass remark and left it at that.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 11:18 AM       
He didnt sound like that at all. And what 'party line' is he towing exactly?
Will chop you good.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 11:23 AM       
Un-bunch those panties there, El Blanco.

I'll restate it for you (again): I'm not threatening anything. It's not a "cry for attention." I'm simply putting forth the idea that there's a strong possibility that things may get very unpleasant in this country over the next several years, and it might be a good idea to think about going somewhere else before it goes completely to hell.

I'm not naive enough to think that any other place would be some kind of utopia. There's always a trade-off.

I also said that we'll see how things unfold over the next couple of years, and go from there. I said that I'm not standing at the harbor, waiting for the first boat out of here. I'll go out on a limb and guess that reading comprehension wasn't your strong suit in school.

And I didn't say "shut up." I said I had my own personal reasons for this, so any uber-patriots could save their rants. That means they are MY FUCKING PERSONAL REASONS- consequently, they are no reflection on you as an American citizen, and have no bearing or effect on you in any way. So quit acting like I'm somehow insulting you. Well, except for when I called you a rat-bastard prick. Then I was insulting you. But by then you were asking for it.
Mocker
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 02:40 PM       
If you move to some Asian country you could live comfortably for many years with 30 grand.