Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Les Waste is probably a spambot
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 03:58 AM        Sega Dreamcast question
I need to buy a Dreamcast, since I don't live with my old roommate any more and I don't live with his Dreamcast anymore. However, I want one that can play regular CD's. I heard the original systems could play CD-R's, but than Sega fixed it so that the later ones couldn't. So how can I tell from an eBay auction exactly how old the system is, and if it can play CD-R's or not?

I don't want to buy a Dreamcast from a place like eBay where I can't return it, and then find out that I can't play CD-R's on it, which is the primary reason I want to buy it.

Bobo Adobo is funnier and smarter than all of you, proven by the fact that he is currently in a high-paying and important government job where he earns a fat cash paycheck and much pussy. How did he get so famous and successful you ask? It's simple: he has never, in his entire life, watched one second of anime.
- Outerspacekid

Professor Cool is probably a spambot
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:49 AM       
I bought a dreamcast from ebay, mine worked fine and worked with regular cds and cd-r, most of the newer ones should work cds and cd-r's.
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:14 AM       
It doesn't matter which one you buy, because there is this CD you buy if the thing doesn't work, and it is able to play regular CDs and MP3s. I'm not sure if they only have it here though. Mine works fine. :/
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:37 AM       
I think pretty much all of the normal ones (ie: the ones that weren't colored like a stupid imac or whatever) do what you're looking for.
Les Waste is probably a spambot
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 11:06 AM       
I didn't know they made 'em colored like iMacs

I just assumed that Sega just up and started making Dreamcasts that wouldn't play CD-R's, so that half of them would play them and half of them wouldn't. The only thing I read to tell the difference is that there is a different type of serial number or something on the machine.

Now I can bid with confidence.
Bobo Adobo is funnier and smarter than all of you, proven by the fact that he is currently in a high-paying and important government job where he earns a fat cash paycheck and much pussy. How did he get so famous and successful you ask? It's simple: he has never, in his entire life, watched one second of anime.
- Outerspacekid
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 06:37 PM       
huh. i never heard of any dc that didn't play cd-rs. o.o after my old one broke i got one of those last run for $50 and it works perfectly well. :o dcs are so benign. beyond the weird audio track required for selfbooting, there's absolutely no copy protection at all.

um. come to think of it, that might've contributed heavily to it's downfall. oh well.
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 10:10 PM       
I have about 10 computer games that people ported onto the system, and I have a Nintendo disc with about 600 games on it. I only have 3 games, Alone in the Dark, Seaman (LOL), and NFL 2K2(one dollar).