Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:17 PM        Jerry Springer to run for US Senate
I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet. I've only seen his show a handful of times, yet the other night, they had a show entitled "Holiday Midget Hell!" featuring brawling midgets that was quite amusing. I know that show is bad, bad, bad, but I had to indulge myself and watch.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nger_senate_11

Talk Show Host Springer Files for Senate
Mon Jul 14, 4:26 PM ET

By MALIA RULON, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Jerry Springer, the talk show host whose nationally syndicated program often spotlighted strippers and skinheads, officially filed papers on Monday to run for the U.S. Senate from Ohio.

The Senate clerk received the statement of candidacy and organization for the "Jerry Springer for U.S. Senate" committee on Monday afternoon, according to a spokesman at the clerk's office. The documents were sent by certified mail last week.

Springer, the former mayor of Cincinnati, will make a final decision on whether to run for the Democratic nomination by the end of the month. State Sen. Eric Fingerhut has already announced his candidacy for the party's nod and the right to challenge first-term Sen. George Voinovich (news, bio, voting record), R-Ohio, who served as governor of Ohio from 1991-99.

Voinovich, who won in 1998 with 57 percent of the vote, is considered a formidable candidate. His latest campaign finance report, which is due Tuesday, likely will show that the GOP senator has more than $3.4 million in the bank, spokeswoman Marcie Ridgway said.

Springer, 59, filed the papers to avoid possible legal problems for airing a 30-minute fund-raising infomercial that started last Thursday, according to Mike Ford, Springer's political adviser.

The infomercial, paid for by Springer, is part biography and part fund-raiser. It explains how Springer's parents fled Nazi Germany for England, then moved to the United States just before Springer's fifth birthday. The ad seeks small donations and offers T-shirts, bumper stickers and CDs of Springer singing "rockabilly" music.

The infomercial will air for about two weeks in several U.S. cities including Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Memphis, Tenn., New Orleans, San Antonio and New York. Ford would not say how much it cost.

It was not immediately scheduled to air in Ohio because of concerns over equal access, meaning TV stations would have to offer equivalent time to other candidates.

Springer has made appearances across Ohio during the last several months as he decides whether to become a candidate.
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:23 PM        LMAO
OMG - that totally rules!!!
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 02:21 PM       
Everybody say it with me, just to say [edit- dammit, meant to type "see"] how it sounds: "President Springer."

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 03:10 PM       
He was also a newscaster at one point, but I don't know his career arc. Was he mayor of Cincinatti before he was a newsie or vice versa? I know his current how is his most recent incarnation, but I see no reason this should remove him from the political arena. We have a professional Wrestler as governor, and a certain B movie actor became governor of California with less elected office political experience than Springer has now. Ahnuld is thinking of running for Governor of that same state.

Anybody know anything about Springers Politics while in office? Isn't that the most germaine question?

I mean unless you think we should rule professional entertainers out of politics all together. I could get on board with that.

Especially if it were retroactive.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 04:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky
Everybody say it with me, just to say [edit- dammit, meant to type "see"] how it sounds: "President Springer."
He's not eligible, because he was born in England. You can breathe a sigh of relief.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 04:32 PM       
And Schwarzeniger was born in Austria, the product of Nazi genetic experiments.