Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

noob 4eva
maggiekarp is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:43 PM       
It's "Happy Holidays" No one is being left out, and no one is held superior.

Weren't most of the founding fathers Jewish or Deist?
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:55 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavesTeethMarks
I present the following evidence:

1. Channukah isn't really one of the high holy days of Judaism. It's also not a national holiday. I would argue that Christmas and Easter are the paramount Christian holidays.
GREAT argument.
....that is if you're also suggesting T'bishvat, Sukkot, Pesach, Yom Kippur, and Rosh Hashana should ALL be national holidays. They are ALL paramount, as is Channuka for it's political implications on the Jewish diaspora. Cruxifications effected Jews, after all.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 11:20 PM       
Yeah I think saying Merry Christmas just because the majority of people in america are christian and or it has heavy christian roots is the exact reason why people don't like it.

:/
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 10:19 AM       
ziggy made me lol, beatles-style.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 03:26 PM       
(in fairness to Bob Rivers, I did not write that parody)
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 09:49 AM       
http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...-18-gunn_x.htm

A fictional 'war on Christmas'

By T. Jeremy Gunn

Last December, a group called Public Advocate for the United States (which claims to defend America's traditional family values) sent some Christmas carolers over to sing in front of the ACLU offices in Washington.
Carrying signs reading "Merry Christmas" and "Please Don't Sue Us!" — they also seem to have carried with them some rather strange imaginings about an assault on Christmas. (Related: Law doesn't mandate a secular Christmas | The year's dust-ups)

I don't know what the carolers thought might happen.

To tell the truth, the ACLU is not often serenaded by Christmas carolers. So it was with some excitement that the staff went outside and joined in the singing. They brought with them cookies and warm drinks to share. One staff member, who is an ordained Baptist minister, did a little witnessing about his faith to some astonished proponents of family values.

Fox News did broadcast the event (as a part of its "war against Christmas" campaign). Although the visiting singers were shown, the cameras failed to include any footage showing that everyone had participated in the caroling. Rather than reporting the facts, the anchor preferred the propaganda: "We believe the ACLU heard the message loud and clear, but they don't care."

The battle cries

This year, several groups are once again introducing the Christmas season with some heated and misleading military rhetoric. Some declare, "There is a war against Christmas!" One group launched a "Friend or Foe Christmas Campaign." One particularly bizarre charge is that there is "a thorough and virulent anti-Christmas campaign." Without a shred of evidence, they pretend that there is an effort afoot to remove "God" from the Declaration of Independence. Two groups even announced that they have assembled hundreds of lawyers to protect Christmas against this imaginary threat.

Make no mistake about it. These warrior-lawyers are not asking us to love our neighbors (and certainly not our enemies), nor to turn the other cheek, nor to be peacemakers, nor to render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's.

Nor is this a joyful effort to encourage the Christmas spirit in the millions of places where it can be promoted without any conflict: in people's hearts, in their homes, with families, in churches, or with friend and neighbors.

No, this is a campaign of military-infused rhetoric demanding that everyone accept one politically correct version of "Christmas."

For example, this year in Boston — the same city where Puritans once prohibited the pagan-inspired "Christmas tree" — the new Puritans now demand that the city call its evergreen spruce a "Christmas tree," and they threatened a lawsuit if the city didn't comply.

Another group charges that there is a "campaign of fear, intimidation, and disinformation" against seasonal symbols in Raleigh, N.C. — and they offer to provide a defense for the city against any threatened lawsuit. Yet they give no evidence that anyone is threatening a lawsuit. Before accusing others of engaging in "disinformation," perhaps these Christmas warriors should first take a look in the mirror.

Why this desire to manufacture controversy — about Christmas?

Guidelines already exist

Rather than engaging in propaganda about a "war on Christmas," all who want to promote the spirit of Christmas should remember a couple of simple guidelines.

First, Christmas displays — including nativity scenes — are perfectly acceptable at homes and churches. This religious expression is a valued and protected part of the First Amendment rights guaranteed to all citizens.

Second, governments should not be in the business of endorsing religious displays. Religion does best when government stays out of the business of deciding which holidays and religions to promote. Religion belongs where it prospers best: with individuals, families and religious communities.

And finally, as a seasonal greeting to all Christians: Merry Christmas from the ACLU! And for believers in all other traditions: Thank you for enriching our world!

T. Jeremy Gunn is director of the ACLU Program on Freedom of Religion and Belief.
Mocker
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 10:24 AM       
This is just another symptom of an absurd, but growing persecution complex among Christians in the US.

As I see it, there are two factors. The first is a large number of well-meaning people who don't see why there can't be more Christian representation in the government of a predominantly Christian and democratic nation. The second factor is demogogues who seek to profit (financially or politically) from those well-meaning people.

I don't profess to know which is which, but I firmly believe that the second exists and is responsible for making a bigger issue out of things like "the War on Christmas" than any otherwise reasonable person would believe.
Mocker
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 10:32 AM       
The second are using a technique that ALL political groups use. Liberal groups, like MoveOn.org and stuff, do it all of the time as well.

Create a panic, make it seem real, rally people around it, ask them to donate to your cause. It happened unfortunately around Terri Schiavo, too.
Mocker
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 10:41 AM       
That's why demagogues should be skinned alive.
Mocker
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 04:19 PM       
Boiled with their own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly!
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 06:36 PM       
Through their hearts, no doubt.
Marine is probably a spambot
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 04:57 AM       
this thread almost sound as "freedomfries"

Anyway go' jul
LadyMage is probably a spambot
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 03:10 PM       
not this again, you know what, fuck both how about seasons greetings, there that covers everything even the friggin winter! Just say what you want people, lord *shakes head and walks away*
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 03:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavesTeethMarks
It's not a "fake holiday". The date isn't necessarily even relevent, it's the event that we celebrate.
an even that probably never happened. This myth has been told and re-told for thousands of years with several different "saviours"....not to mention that the holiday was celebrated in Rome and among the Germanic peoples long before it became Jesus' birthday. If you want to celebrate the birth of your saviour by running up a VISA bill and eating ham, go for it. Just don't force this stupid crap on everyone else....
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 04:19 PM       
We should start picking what pointless thing to be outraged about for January. It's up for grabs, you guys, but for february I call leap year prejudice. I mean, what did Febuary ever do to be skipped like that? The shortest month of the year. That's such bullshit. This is obviously italian discrimination and as a proud lover of italian food I won't have it anymore and also hating february is what makes the world a dirty place I'm sick of all of you fuck off and die.
LadyMage is probably a spambot
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 04:23 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
We should start picking what pointless thing to be outraged about for January. It's up for grabs, you guys, but for february I call leap year prejudice. I mean, what did Febuary ever do to be skipped like that? The shortest month of the year. That's such bullshit. This is obviously italian discrimination and as a proud lover of italian food I won't have it anymore and also hating february is what makes the world a dirty place I'm sick of all of you fuck off and die.
*falls over laughing* yeah and something Irish for march might be good too. How about it being considered the month to drink and women's month, does that mean all women are drunk and all Irish are drunk, if so as a partially Irish woman I am outraged.
ineffable

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 05:34 PM       
isn't february black history month?
Mocker
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:23 PM       
*reads over the posts but refrains from posting a response*
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:34 PM       
"isn't february black history month?"

Fuck off you bigoted hussy.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:34 PM       
you're the moderator for a reason, kev.
Mocker
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:37 PM       
If you can't explain precisely what you were doing at the time of your post, preferably using an "*", then please ban yourself.
Mocker
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:41 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The guy who probably exchanges gifts and puts up a Christmas tree every year
This myth has been told and re-told for thousands of years with several different "saviours"....not to mention that the holiday was celebrated in Rome and among the Germanic peoples long before it became Jesus' birthday. If you want to celebrate the birth of your saviour by running up a VISA bill and eating ham, go for it. Just don't force this stupid crap on everyone else....
BANNED

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:54 PM       
*Breaking between cleaning dishes and drinking tea with a penchant to kill*
ineffable

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:05 PM       
as above, so below.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 08:10 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Quote:
Originally Posted by The guy who probably exchanges gifts and puts up a Christmas tree every year
This myth has been told and re-told for thousands of years with several different "saviours"....not to mention that the holiday was celebrated in Rome and among the Germanic peoples long before it became Jesus' birthday. If you want to celebrate the birth of your saviour by running up a VISA bill and eating ham, go for it. Just don't force this stupid crap on everyone else....
Sorry Kevin, No tree...buys gifts for his Children....year round. I tell the people that come into my classes "Happy Holidays", I told a nosey lady at Wal Mart to have a "Jolly Diwali", I don't wear a Santa hat or participate in any religious functions at this time of year or any other.

...and you don't know me.