Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 01:31 PM        Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.
http://www.uclick.com/client/ven/gg/2003/10/16/

Georgie Anne Geyer

BUSH SR. SENDS NOT-SO-SUBTLE MESSAGE WITH AWARD TO KENNEDY

WASHINGTON -- It's not as though Osama Bin Laden gave a Jihad Award to Ariel Sharon, or Donald Rumsfeld gave his Good Pal Award to Condoleezza Rice. It's not even as though Dick Cheney gave his Favorite Foreigners Citation to the French.
But the news from College Station, Texas, this week -- that the First Father, former President George H.W. Bush, has given his own most treasured award to Sen. Edward Kennedy -- is nearly as astonishing.

When it was announced (with amazingly little fanfare) that the pugnaciously anti-Iraq war Democrat Kennedy had been awarded the 2003 George Bush Award for Excellence in Public Service, so many jaws dropped all over Washington that usually voluble politicians were only heard swallowing their real thoughts.

Since the current President Bush veered away from the real war against terrorism in Afghanistan and went a'venturing in Iraq, much to his father's dismay, just about everybody close to Washington politics has known of the policy schism between father and son.

It was politically and philosophically obvious. But people around Father Bush, a coterie of traditional internationalist conservatives who protect him like a wolf mother does her cubs, would heatedly deny any family rift -- and nobody spoke publicly about it.

Now it's all out. Father Bush has done it in his own preferred nuanced way -- the way Establishment gentlemen operate -- but he has revealed the depth of his disagreement with his impetuously uninformed son.

And won't it be interesting to analyze the speeches citing Teddy, who is surely one of W's primary political nemeses, for his public service and principles at the Bush Library Center on the Texas A&M campus on Nov. 7? One can bet they will be subtle -- but also very clear.

The ideological rift between father and son has been growing ever since George W. began focusing on Iraq and, with that obsession, proposed "theories" of unilateralism (America needs room in the world) and pre-emption (kill even your perceived enemy before he kills you). But while family friends say Father Bush has made his disagreements known to his son, they clearly have not found fertile soil in this White House.

More curious, and in many ways depressing, is the fact that this President Bush has embarked upon a policy designed to counter, or even to wipe out, his father's entire political legacy.

The father lived his life in the service of moderate and intelligent internationalism. His manners were always meticulously courteous, as he wooed even critics overseas to see the American position. He was even-handed in the Middle East and thus brought the area to the verge of peace for the first time in history; he was capable of using force but preferred to do it supported by coalitions of friendly states, thus cementing international cooperation.

The son seems to have made posturing against his father's accomplishments and beliefs his life's work. W has given way to a radical right that abhors international coalitions and manners; he mocks the world and denies any need for its help. He has led the Middle East to the nadir of its hope and possibilities, and he has led the United States to a moment in history in which we face asymmetric warfare from one end of the globe to another. And above all, he has replaced his father's courtesy and good graces with an almost proud rudeness and scorn for others.

Why? I'll leave the question of "killing the father" to the psychiatric thinkers. Meanwhile, the tension between these two men reveals itself daily.

Nov. 7 will give us a chance to see how this tension, which is crucial to the public and political lives of all Americans, plays out. In the Bush Library announcement of the award to Teddy Kennedy, the spokesman praised the liberal senator as a man who "consistently and courageously fought for his principles," and as an "inspiration to all Americans."

You know what I wish (besides being able to read the president's mind)? I wish Father Bush would drop his polite reticence and tell us what he and the team of his presidency really think about what is happening in America today. I think, as responsible citizens, we deserve that.

COPYRIGHT 2003 UNIVERSAL PRESS SYNDICATE
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 01:49 PM       
It's not shocking. The Bush family are obsessed with being the Kennedy's. Ed and Ted have had direct access to the GW for a while now. I've read a slew of articles explaining their special bond. Whee. The only thing interesting here is that Ed went and bashed GW right after he was named for this award. Why would anybody let their jaw hit the floor over this one?
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 01:52 PM       
Wow, that whole thing is pretty damned funny.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 03:28 PM       
Quote:
It's not shocking.
Bullshit. The leader of the free world's own father makes a public move that makes Dubya look very dumb. For a father to publicly show such contempt for his own son's policies is an eye-opener, to say the least.

I know Sr. has passive-aggressively criticized Jr. in the past, but to give an award to his son's major enemy is a pretty wicked move, methinks.

I wonder if Barbara is making him sleep on the couch?
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 03:28 PM       
There's an Oedipal undercurrent that seems to be steering Dubya's presidency. Let's hope he gets to gouging out his eyes pretty soon, because I don't think the world, let alone the U.S., can survive this weird drama for much longer.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 06:41 PM       

This is better than having Daddy Bush show up at one of GW's press conferences to spank him, and it pretty much accomplishes the same thing.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 08:17 PM       
"major enemy" ? It amazes me how people take partinship and public record at face value.

Okay let me spell it out. Kennedy got this award because he's bonded with a GW who is in awe of the Camelot mystique and feels a kinship over being a second generation politician. The award was a mutual expression of Kennedy worship that's only become a problem since Kennedy went out and raked GW over the coals...then again, with an election on the way, it doesn't hurt for the Kennedy's to reclaim their "enemy" role. I read GW was going to do this nearly a year ago.

Barbara Bush was on Larry King trying to play it off like some committee made the pick without them having anything to do with it.... but elder Bush didn't decide on the recepiant without months of previous planning. I'll say it again, GW has had an open door policy for Kennedy to talk his ear off in a way no other Democrat has...and it's no secret. To think this is a move for Sr. to undermine Jr. is just wishfull thinking.

This excerpt from the Boston Globe:

"Another Democratic official said that while Kennedy has aided the president's attempts to pass a prescription drug benefit for Medicare, the relationship is no longer warm, largely as a result of the war and the heated rhetoric since. Kennedy voted against the resolution authorizing the use of military force against Iraq."

"When Bush first came into office, he and Kennedy spoke several times, and Bush even invited some members of the Kennedy family to the White House to watch a movie. They discussed the longstanding ties between their families, and seemed to relate to each other as members of two leading political dynasties. In the year that followed, the two men toured the country together touting their work together on the No Child Left Behind education bill, and in November 2001, Bush renamed the Department of Justice after Kennedy's brother Robert, the former attorney general who was assassinated during the presidential primaries in 1968.

But the relationship began to slide, especially as the administration declined to fund the education bill as much as Kennedy wanted, and interpreted the bill differently than he had expected. When Bush said that John F. Kennedy would have supported his tax cut, the senator and other Kennedy relatives pushed back, angrily declaring that unlike the Bush tax cut, the tax cut in President Kennedy's administration went mostly to the poor and working class."

.......http://www.boston.com/news/nation/wa...over_iraq_war/

[/url]

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:52 AM       
The only award that Ted Kennedy should get is a prison sentence for letting a woman die while he waddled around and worried about his political career.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:34 AM       
So, would you say, ala Anne Coulter that Bush senior is a 'traitor'? Don't you think that by giving a public service award to one of the Iraq wars most vocal critics he is in fact aiding and abetting terrorists? And doesn't that make Bush Senior a terrorist himself?

While I suport Seniors freedom of speech, I really think at a time like this he should watch what he says. Actions have 'conquenences'.

Oh, and bravo on your nuanced argument, Vinth.