Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Charming
Dr. V is probably a spambot
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:12 AM        So I'm thinking about getting a PS3
Since 360 and ps3 are kinda close in price, I'm considering one of the two. And after talking to my friend, I'm leaning towards ps3. I'll be honest I don't know much about either, being a wii owner. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each system, that you as the consumer have noticed. I can get all the tech crap elsewhere.
Danskjävlar!
Mintrude is probably a spambot
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:41 AM       
I hear the PS3 is more reliable. Online's worse if that's important to you, but it's free.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM       
It's still the best blu-ray player according to most sources. If you have a decent HD TV it'd probably be worth it just for that.

The lack of games is the system's only real problem.
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:59 AM       
i know the ps3 is more like an entertainment center because of the lack of games and all the fancy shmancy blu-ray player stuff.

i say go with the 360, because you have fucking BIOSHOCK and shit for chrissakes.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 01:48 PM       
Yeah, the main complaint I hear from friends who have ps3s is the lack of games. Most people that I know don't give a shit about blu-ray and they play video games for the actual gaming, not all the technical aspects. I like the 360 because the online play is fucking great so far, there's a pretty big library of games, xbox live arcade, and the friends list thing is really useful. Makes it easy to do shit like play a game of smashtv with sam, or play that lame mac game with chojin.

That was very funny. Well done.
Member (haw haw, scrotum)
terrva is probably a spambot
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM       
As a xbox 360 owner i can only give you a pretty one sided opinion, but the ups about x360 is the wide game library and the good online features. The downs are reliability (i have two friends that have had their consoles red ringed) and the fact that you have to pay for most of the online features.

To be honest, the blu-ray sounds pretty nifty to me, so i might buy a PS3 myself in the future.
Fucking Finland
RaNkeri is probably a spambot
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrva View Post
To be honest, the blu-ray sounds pretty nifty to me, so i might buy a PS3 myself in the future.
Seconded, especially now that some companies have decided to start using blu-ray's only in near future. Or that's what my friend was bitching about last night :/
but it still damn hurts.
Its_Not_a_tumor is probably a spambot
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 05:06 PM       
I own a Wii too, and was actually considering an XBOX, but the reliability, XBOX LIVE monthly fees, and cost/benefit pushed me away from the idea. I used to own the original XBOX, which I liked very much, and I am saddened by how Microsoft's hardware quality level has sunken to near Windows Vista terribleness.

If I were you, I would wait and either get the PS3, or the next version of the XBOX 360, if one ever does arrive on stores.

Also BlueRay is the king.
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM       
I've got a 360 and love it. I mean, if you get one you pretty much are required to get a gold membership to xbox live or it's like owning half of a system. But you get what you pay for...I mean...I downloaded the uncut John Rambo trailer onto my xbox! I also have a live sync from my pc to the xbox so I can listen to my own playlists when playing online in all my multiplayer games. You can also watch movies you download from your computer on your tv through the sync.

If you're all about gaming, I'd go for the 360. Since the library does pretty much cover all the genres.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM       
Spend the money on PC upgrades. PC gaming is still king.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 05:28 PM       
I'm probably gonna hold out for a PS3 simply because of MGS4. That and I never had an original xBox :[
Choking Hazard
Spetsnaz is probably a spambot
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM       
I own an Xbox 360. In one year, I've only ever had one RRoD ( Red Ring of Death ), and it was because of a faulty Xbox Live update. Except for the chinks like that, and the Halo fanboys you run into every other FPS ( First Person Shooter ), the 360 is pretty impressive all around.

Not being a fanboy myself, I intend to buy a PS3 when I can afford one solely for Tekken 6 and MGS 4.
Charming
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 09:11 PM       
So far I'm getting good feedback on both. But I'm still leaning to ps3 (playstation three) a little more.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:35 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia View Post
Spend the money on PC upgrades. PC gaming is still king.
King of what? Unreal Tournament only pushed 32,000 copies in its first week, and Crysis didn't do much better.
Choking Hazard
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM       
Thats because to play Crysis you need some sort of super computer...
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:10 PM       
I think it's more because the only game that PC users buy now is World of Warcraft
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:18 PM       
I'm biased as a 360 (Microsoft Xbox 360) owner but i've been very happy with my choice. I was stuck between the two last spring but the only reason why I would even want a PS3 (Sony Playstation 3) is for Gran Turismo and Forza 2 is a pretty good Turismo clone for the 360. About the ring of death, I had it one time 2 weeks ago but I simply shut off the console and turned it back on. Shit's worked fine ever since.

To be fair I only know one person who owns a PS3 and he's told me it gathers dust behind his 360 and his Wii (Nintendo Wii).
Charming
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:45 PM       
Thanks for you input WhiteRat (WhiteRat)
Choking Hazard
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 12:07 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRat View Post
I'm biased as a 360 (Microsoft Xbox 360) owner but i've been very happy with my choice. I was stuck between the two last spring but the only reason why I would even want a PS3 (Sony Playstation 3) is for Gran Turismo and Forza 2 is a pretty good Turismo clone for the 360. About the ring of death, I had it one time 2 weeks ago but I simply shut off the console and turned it back on. Shit's worked fine ever since.

To be fair I only know one person who owns a PS3 and he's told me it gathers dust behind his 360 and his Wii (Nintendo Wii).

To be honest, the only reason I got a Xbox 360 over the PS 3, besides the video game library, was the outrageous price for a piece of equipment ( Blu-Ray ), that I know I'm NEVER going to use.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:07 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
King of what? Unreal Tournament only pushed 32,000 copies in its first week, and Crysis didn't do much better.
Yeah, but Crysis sold 0 copes on consoles and UT only sold marginally better on PS3 despite being one of only about 10 games available for the system. Those aren't really good examples though because UT3 is basically the same game PC gamers have had 3 times already (99, 2k3, 2k4) and Crysis has limited itself to the hardcore market by having retarded system requirements.
I say PC gaming is king because if you pick a genre (excluding stupid party games, sports or fighting games) PC is likely to provide the defining experience, the only caveat being that you need to constantly upgrade to keep on top of the latest games' requirements. A lot of people consider this a major fault with the platform but I consider it to be one of its biggest strengths. I heard somewhere that the PS3's expected life-cycle is last around 8 years. In one year I can guarantee PC gaming technology will completely eclipse anything the PS3 could hope to achieve.

I'm not saying consoles are worthless. They're fine at what they do but PC gaming will always be on another level to the slow moving console market.

Before you say that I'm just talking about technology, which I'm sure we can all agree does not unnecessarily make a great game I will direct your attention to the other thing which sets PC gaming apart from consoles; community driven content. For the £25 I paid for HL several years ago I've probably gotten hundreds of hours of gaming goodness at no extra cost thanks to the community's excess of time, ideas and modding sillz. Having seen the Crysis SDK in action I'd be surprised if we didn't start seeing good quality mods and maps almost immediately.

PC gaming has it's problems but as far as "gaming", not "casual gaming" or "party gaming" is concerned it's as good as it gets.
Member (haw haw, scrotum)
terrva is probably a spambot
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 08:37 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRat View Post
I was stuck between the two last spring but the only reason why I would even want a PS3 (Sony Playstation 3) is for Gran Turismo and Forza 2 is a pretty good Turismo clone for the 360.
Forza 2 is indeed great, possibly the best car simulation on 360. The downloadable car and track packs are a pretty nice feature too, though somebody might think that they're too expensive.
Danskjävlar!
Mintrude is probably a spambot
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM       
If you are going to get the 360, I hope you like FPS games.
Choking Hazard
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 01:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia View Post
Yeah, but Crysis sold 0 copes on consoles and UT only sold marginally better on PS3 despite being one of only about 10 games available for the system. Those aren't really good examples though because UT3 is basically the same game PC gamers have had 3 times already (99, 2k3, 2k4) and Crysis has limited itself to the hardcore market by having retarded system requirements.
I say PC gaming is king because if you pick a genre (excluding stupid party games, sports or fighting games) PC is likely to provide the defining experience, the only caveat being that you need to constantly upgrade to keep on top of the latest games' requirements. A lot of people consider this a major fault with the platform but I consider it to be one of its biggest strengths. I heard somewhere that the PS3's expected life-cycle is last around 8 years. In one year I can guarantee PC gaming technology will completely eclipse anything the PS3 could hope to achieve.

I'm not saying consoles are worthless. They're fine at what they do but PC gaming will always be on another level to the slow moving console market.

Before you say that I'm just talking about technology, which I'm sure we can all agree does not unnecessarily make a great game I will direct your attention to the other thing which sets PC gaming apart from consoles; community driven content. For the £25 I paid for HL several years ago I've probably gotten hundreds of hours of gaming goodness at no extra cost thanks to the community's excess of time, ideas and modding sillz. Having seen the Crysis SDK in action I'd be surprised if we didn't start seeing good quality mods and maps almost immediately.

PC gaming has it's problems but as far as "gaming", not "casual gaming" or "party gaming" is concerned it's as good as it gets.
Thats very true, but a lot of people can't afford to shell out thousands in computer upgrades EVERY year. It kind of limits your ability to play the latest super realistic with real-time life like graphical engine game that PC delevopers try to outdo eachother with everywhere. At least on a console, you know the most you're going to pay ( and unfortunately.. even though I do remember SNES CARTRIDGES hitting 70.. ) is $ 60 bucks... Or $ 70 if you NEED to have that useless special edition.

When it comes down to affordibility, the consoles have an edge over the PC.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintrude View Post
If you are going to get the 360, I hope you like FPS games.
Yeah, cause they don't have any other genres. Stuff like Forza Motorsport, Assassin's creed, mass effect, etc are just black sheep.

That was very funny. Well done.
CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 02:20 PM       
Oh, don't forget Viva Pinata, Beautiful Katamari, and Smackdown vs. Raw 2008! Those are great FPSs.