Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:18 PM        Washington's obsession with Sun Myung Moon
This story is creepy and really disturbing. The fact that this nonsense went down in a government building is outrageous.

From politics1.com:

"On Wednesday we reported on a largely ignored story -- investigated in
depth by journalist John Gorenfeld -- about Congressman Danny Davis
(D-IL) having participated recently in a bizarre DC event featuring
purported Korean cult leader Sun Myung Moon. Moon -- the leader of the
Korean-based Unification Church cult, a convicted felon, and owner of
the Washington Times newspaper and the UPI press service -- was
previously involved in the "Koreagate" Congressional scandal in the
late 1970s. We mentioned yesterday how Davis wore white gloves, read
Moon's "Crown of Glory" poem, and carried a golden crown that was
placed on Moon's head after Moon proclaimed himself the "Messiah," the
"King of Peace" and "Returning Lord." The crowning relates to Moon's
push over the past year to urge Christian churches to remove crosses
from their walls and replace them with a crown -- honoring the King of
Kings (which, of course, he says is himself). Now, if you thought that
was bad ... well, keep reading because it gets much worse!

The huge event was held in the Dirksen Senate Office Building -- a US
government building -- on Capitol Hill. Not only were there
Congressional Co-Chairs of the event (Congressmen Danny Davis, Curt
Weldon, Roscoe Bartlett, Sanford Bishop and Chris Cannon), others
played roles that evening. US Senator Lindsey Graham served on the
Host Committee, as did noted GOP political consultant Charlie Black.
Weldon -- who had his staff initially deny he even attended, then
claimed he possibly popped in briefly on his way to a meeting --
actually delivered the official "congratulatory remarks" welcoming the
guests. Weldon, however, seems to have a good reason to fear exposure
of how closely tied he is to Moon. On June 19, 2003, the Congressional
Record shows that Davis introduced remarks on behalf of himself and
Weldon for last year's Amassadors of Peace Award ceremony held in the
Rayburn House Office Building. "Many of my colleagues will join me and
the Gentleman from Pennsylvania [Mr. Weldon], co-chair, in giving
tribute to ... those honored with the Ambassadors for Peace Award ...
We are grateful to the founders of Ambassadors for Peace, the Reverend
and Mrs. Sun Myung [Moon], for promoting the vision of world peace,
and we commend them for their work," said Davis. Weldon has even gone
so far as to apparently organize a Congressional fact-finding mission
to Libya to create an opportunity for him to present dictator Moammar
Khadafy with one of Moon's Ambassadors of Peace pins. Don't believe
me, check out the photo at left (which was also displayed by Weldon at
the Moon event in the Dirksen Building).

So, what else went on at the Dirksen event? Famed civil rights
activist and retired Congressman Walter Fauntroy (D-DC) presided at
the event. A welcoming letter from House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-IL)
was read. Congressional Black Caucus Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-MD)
praised Moon for "always standing up for what is right." Is Cummings
aware that Moon supports the eradication of homosexuals (who Moon
calls "dirty dung-eating dogs")? Utah State Senator Howard Stephenson
(R) spoke "as an ancestor of the white settlers, the pilgrims, and
those who moved westward ... as a representative of my people in a
spirit of repentance for the 'Trail of Tears' which we imposed upon
the Native Americans." Bartlett next was proclaimed to be one of
Moon's Ambassadors of Peace, and received a medal for this from Moon.
Then came the Davis poem reading and the crowning ceremony. The
narrator of the official Moonie-produced video of the event -- when
showing this part -- stated that "the honorable Roscoe Bartlett [was]
representing the United States" at the crowning and "Senators and
Congressmen and representatives of all the [religious] families of the
world joined in." The Moonie video even claims that "81 US Senators
and Congressmen" attended the event, although nowhere near that number
appear in the video.

In a related development, it seems the Washington Post's "Reliable
Source" column on April 4 unsuccessfully attempted to report on Moon's
remarks at the event. They quoted Moon as proclaiming (and this is the
same quote that appears in Moon's own video): "The five great saints
and many other leaders in the spirit world, including even communist
leaders such as Marx and Lenin, who committed all manner of barbarity
and murders on Earth, and dictators such as Hitler and Stalin, have
found strength in my teachings, mended their ways and been reborn as
new persons. Emperors, kings and presidents who enjoyed opulence and
power on Earth, and even journalists who had worldwide fame, have now
placed themselves at the forefront of the column of the true love
revolution. ... They have declared to all Heaven and Earth that
Reverend Sun Myung Moon is none other than humanity's Savior, Messiah,
Returning Lord and True Parent." However, shortly after it first
appeared on the Post site, it was deleted by the Post and oddly
replaced by a paragraph about Celebrity Jeopardy.

In recent years, former Vice President Dan Quayle and Attorney General
John Ashcroft (in 2001) and former President George H.W. Bush (in
1988) also attended events with Moon. Bush even called him "the man
with the vision." Finally -- as if you aren't sick already -- senior
Congressman Charlie Rangel (D-NY) signed a proclamation on
Congressional letterhead in April 2004 recognizing Moon as the "True
Parent" and "King of Peace."

Bottom line: Why did elected officials actively and tacitly
participate in crowning this ex-felon as the Messiah and King of
Peace? Where is the public outrage demanding that these officials --
both Democrats and Republicans -- answer for their fawning ties to
this cult leader?"
Mocker
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 12:21 PM       
bump.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 12:51 PM       
That is far too wacky, & overly scary to believe.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 09:02 AM       
Kev, first of all, I want to think you for sticking with this. I ignored the thread initially becuase I figured from the tile it would have to do with some group of senators and reps obession with how evil the moonies were, not the complete reverse.

I heard some of this info on "The Daily Show" last night, and have now educated myself on it via your thread and links, so now I can say with authority

WHAT THE FUCK?!

Moon has always been creepy deluxe, and he has an awful lot of money, but I didn't have any understanding just how far out he'd gone. The most disturbing aspect of this is it's bipartisan nature.

That speaks to me of two very disturbing possabilities.

1.) The representatives involved consider themselves sufficiently bought and paid for to participate in and then deny something they are well aware is totally creepy, wrong, and bizarre. If they'll crown cult leader messiah for money, what else will they do for it and what else are they doing?

or

2.) They are actually true believers and secretly follow Moon.

To say that they didn't know Moon was a whacko and a convicted criminal and that they just thought they were nicely attending a service for a community leader is crap. Find me anyone who isn't a moooney that doesn't know moon is a cult leader, and you've found me someone too stuppid to hold public office.
Mocker
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:28 PM       
Oh, it only gets more irritating..........

I'm waiting for the "keep God in the pledge" crowd to jump to the aid of this nut bag. I mean, he's a uniter, a man of peace, a "king" of peace, for that matter.......

This is a rights issue, according to one guy in this article.

http://www.townhall.com/news/politic...0040701a.shtml

Religious Leaders Defend Moon's Capitol Hill Coronation As 'King of Peace'

(CNSNews.com) - When the Rev. Sun Myung Moon and his wife were crowned the "King and Queen of Peace" on March 23\super \nosupersub -- inside the Dirksen Senate Office Building with Members of Congress looking on -- few news outlets took notice.

But in the months since Moon's March 23\super rd\nosupersub "coronation" as Messiah, a growing number of people are questioning the appropriateness of allowing a "coronation" to take place inside a government building.

At a press conference on Wednesday, Jewish, Muslim and Christian representatives from the organization that sponsored Moon's coronation unapologetically defended the ceremony, its location, and Moon's Messiah declaration.

"It was the spirit world that said he was the Messiah," said Archbishop George A. Stallings, Jr., pastor of an independent African-American Catholic congregation. Moon, founder of the Unification Church, was merely repeating the message, said Stallings.

The Interreligious and International Federation for World Peace, an organization founded by Moon and his wife, sponsored the March 23, 2004 ceremony where nearly 100 religious leaders received "Crown of Peace" awards and where Moon and his wife were honored as "King and Queen of Peace."

According to a recent Washington Post description of the event, more than a dozen lawmakers were there, and one of them - Rep. Danny Davis (D-Ill.) -- "wore white gloves and carried a pillow holding an ornate crown that was placed on Moon's head."

Stallings, an organizer of the March 23 event, pointed out that the term 'Messiah' is relative, and he said holding the ceremony in a U.S. Senate office building on Capitol Hill was meant to "elevate to a level of prominence" the achievements of award recipients.

"Every American citizen has a right to have access to any facility that is considered the property of the people of the United States of America, regardless of one's religious, political, racial or ethnic affiliation or association," Stallings said on Wednesday.

Members of Congress who attended Moon's "coronation" are now trying to distance themselves from Moon - whose organization also owns the Washington Times newspaper.

At the event, Moon spoke of his communication with the "spirit world."

"The founders of five great religions and many other leaders in the spirit world, including even communist leaders such as Marx and Lenin ... and dictators such as Hitler and Stain, have found strength in my teachings, mended their ways and been reborn as new persons," said Moon at the ceremony.

Use of a Senate office building requires a senator's approval. But organizers said they did not know which senator reserved the space for the ceremony, and they criticized the "witch hunt" that has occurred as journalists and constituents have questioned the relationships of congressmen to Moon and the Unification Church he founded.

"I experienced a miracle on March 23rd," said Rabbi Waldmann from Detroit, Mich., who blew the "shofar" or ram's horn at the March 23 awards ceremony.

"I have never experienced Jews, Christians, and Muslims united in such a strong commitment to unity and peace. These people are simply coming together as brothers and sisters, breaking down the hatred and separation that is causing so much bloodshed. Rev. Moon is teaching about the one true God, the God of our common father Abraham, and causing his children to come together," Waldmann said.

At Wednesday's press conference, a representative read a statement from Moon, thanking the religious leaders who have stood by him.
###
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:47 PM       
I wonder how many other ex-convicts could get access to this building?

As for the 'suppport' being shown the reverend moon (and I'm not at all certain 'messiah' IS a relative term) I can sum that up in two words.

DEEEEEEEP POCKETS
Mocker
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:48 PM       
I found another interesting factoid pertaining to Moon. Apparently, his "people" have been having difficulties with the editorial board at the Washington Times, the paper Moon owns. Apparently, the Moonies have asked that the Times move to the Left a bit, and embrace issues like world peace, internationalism, etc. etc.

To his credit (I guess), the editor has fought this, and refuses to bend the ideology of the paper at the request of his bosses. This all apparently came about when the Times made a big boo boo and refused to run anything on the Abu Ghraib scandal.....
Mocker
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:52 PM       
If I'm not mistaken, they still haven't discovered which senators sponsored this event. Nobody will come forward.....

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595074262,00.html
Mocker
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 10:30 PM       
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

Warner 'Deceived' on Rev. Moon Event
Aide Says Senator's Office Would Not Have Sanctioned Gathering at Dirksen Building

By Spencer S. Hsu
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, July 24, 2004; Page A08

Sen. John W. Warner (R-Va.) accepts "full responsibility" for arranging the use of a Senate office building for a March ceremony in which the Rev. Sun Myung Moon declared himself the Messiah, a spokesman for the senator says.

But the Senate Armed Services Committee chairman released letters this week that show that organizers "deceived" Warner's office, spokesman John Ullyot said Thursday. He said the office would not have helped arrange the event "had its true nature been disclosed."

Warner, 77, did not attend the March 23 event, and he did not realize it would involve Moon, Ullyot said. At the event, the Korean-born businessman and religious leader said his teachings helped Hitler and Stalin be "reborn as new persons."

Senate rules permit private groups to use official spaces for receptions and meetings but require the sponsorship of a senator. Although the Senate Rules and Administration Committee would not reveal which senator sponsored Moon's use of a room in the Dirksen Senate Office Building, Warner's office acknowledged its role Tuesday to The Washington Post and released a March 11 letter to the senator from a group called Christian Voice requesting a room.

But Warner's office said Thursday that it had found two earlier letters requesting space for the same event. The Jan. 7 and Feb. 17 letters, both under the letterhead of the Washington Times Foundation, were signed by the foundation's government liaison, Gary L. Jarmin, who is also president of Christian Voice. Moon's organization owns the Washington Times.

The January letter requested a Dirksen room for Feb. 4, and the February letter rescheduled the event after ricin, a toxin, was discovered in the mailroom of Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) on Feb. 2. Both letters billed the event as the foundation's annual awards banquet to honor individuals for "exemplary service in conflict resolution and/or promoting interfaith tolerance and cooperation both here in the U.S. and in the Middle East" between Israelis and Palestinians.

Ullyot said that Warner tries to accommodate many private requests for the appropriate use of public offices but that "in this case, we were clearly deceived, as the letters show."

"Nothing in the letters suggest that this would be a Unification Church event or that it would involve Reverend Moon in any way personally, and certainly not in a bizarre, quasi-coronation ceremony using inflammatory rhetoric," Ullyot said in an interview yesterday.

Although Warner believes that aides acted appropriately given the information provided, Ullyot said, the event clearly turned out to be "inconsistent with Senate traditions," and Warner "would not have forwarded a request for this event . . . had its true nature been disclosed."

If approached by Jarmin, the foundation or Christian Voice in the future, Ullyot said, "we will decline to assist."

Christian Voice has been linked to Moon's far-flung religious and business empire over the years, with Jarmin and Christian Voice's chairman, the Rev. Robert Grant, described as supporters of Moon. A March 8 invitation to the March 23 event said the primary sponsor was the "Interreligious and International Federation for World Peace IIFWP, founded by Rev. Dr. and Mrs. Sun Myung Moon."

Jarmin said yesterday: "It's disingenuous for anybody's office to say they were not advised. . . . I refute that we tried to mislead anybody at all." After the ricin incident, the awards banquet was held elsewhere, and Moon was not present, Jarmin said. "When we rescheduled . . . many of the details about the [March 23] event itself, the nature of the event, who was going to be participating, what kinds of awards were going to be given . . . none of this stuff had been finalized."Staff writer Charles Babington and staff researcher Madonna Lebling contributed to this report.

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

Baalzamon is probably a spambot
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 01:50 PM       
Sounds to me like these politicians actually think this guy is the legitimate second coming :/
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 02:53 PM       
Is that the guy who claims hes the savior and messiah of mankind?

Baalzamon is probably a spambot
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 03:24 PM       
Yeah.

His "unification" church basically says that he is the new messiah and that muslims, christians and jews should all unite as one religion under him.
Mocker
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 06:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalzamon
Sounds to me like these politicians actually think this guy is the legitimate second coming :/
That's fine. They can think and do whatever they want for this guy.......BUT NOT IN THE DIRKSEN OFFICE BUILDING!!!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:29 AM       
I suppose arner can make the case that this was just a fuck-up. The senator who actually placed a crown on Rev. Moon's head will have more difficulty.

"this 'crown' was presented to me as being merely a 'hat'. I was never told the man in question was Sun Yun Moon, it was merely pointed out to me that the Korean Gentleman at the front of the room might be cold. It is a well known fact that the body looses a large percentage of it's heat through the head, and the air conditioning in the Dirksen building was agressive."
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:30 PM       
mmmm Vestiments
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
I suppose arner can make the case that this was just a fuck-up. The senator who actually placed a crown on Rev. Moon's head will have more difficulty.

"this 'crown' was presented to me as being merely a 'hat'. I was never told the man in question was Sun Yun Moon, it was merely pointed out to me that the Korean Gentleman at the front of the room might be cold. It is a well known fact that the body looses a large percentage of it's heat through the head, and the air conditioning in the Dirksen building was agressive."
Well you tied up all the loose ends pretty well...