Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Sethomas Sethomas is offline
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Abstruse Caboose
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:28 PM        Is Camelot over?
I have a lot on my mind. Staying away from the boards while I visited my family this weekend was a good time, and I had a chance again to connect with real people in a non-pseudo-intellectual bar.

A few months ago when the recession was only starting to loom larger, I had a customer tell me that the situation at that point was far worse than anyone was being told, per the evidence of banks seeing fewer and fewer people coming in for loans. When I began to see how right she was, I told myself that this was probably the last economic slump before it would rise again and, after a period of maybe a few years but likely a few decades, it would begin to climb downwards for a very, very long time.

There's no doubt that the 21st century is doomed for economic and humanitarian devastation. I merely have been telling myself that it wouldn't be all that visible or devastating until around 2020 or so.

Please, please, someone show me that I was right then, and I'm not correct in my present view that this recession is not going to end for at least another fifty years.
__________________

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Reply With Quote
  #2  
AChimp AChimp is offline
Resident Chimp
AChimp's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Jungles of Borneo
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:14 PM       
The recession will continue as long as the government keeps trying to prevent it from happening. It's just prolonging the problem and will make things worse in the long run.

It might come as a surprise to some, but stupid people are incapable of managing their finances and there are a lot of stupid people. It just so happens that the stupid people also happen to be the most vocal about how it's not their fault that they're stupid and point fingers elsewhere.

The banks need to crank the interest rate UP and let everyone who's going to go bankrupt or lose their home face the consequences of their past decisions. If you're uneducated or have no employable skills and only make $25,000 a year, no, you should NOT be living in a $350,000 house just because the bank gives you a "no-down-payment, 2% interest for the first two years" mortgage.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Pub Lover Pub Lover is offline
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Mogadishu, Texas
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM       
AChimp, you're being demoted from Canadian. I'll let you know your new nationality when I think of a clever way of saying Asshole.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
No YouTube embeds in your sigs, poindexter.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
El Blanco El Blanco is offline
Mocker
El Blanco's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:59 PM       
Quote:
The banks need to crank the interest rate UP and let everyone who's going to go bankrupt or lose their home face the consequences of their past decisions.
And those of us that were responsible with our finances and bought a house we can afford....why are we being punished? Why am I going to see a cut in civil services (which are paid by property taxes)? As pissed off as I am about the bail outs, I acknowledge that morons don't live a vacuum.
__________________
according to my mongoose, anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
AChimp AChimp is offline
Resident Chimp
AChimp's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Jungles of Borneo
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:14 PM       
Well now you're trying to make the free market a fair market!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Sethomas Sethomas is offline
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Abstruse Caboose
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:08 PM       
Jesus Christ, Costco and Sam's Club are already putting limits on rice purchases.

ASSHOLES WHO MAKE DECISIONS: genetically engineer crops to grow anywhere and everywhere. Implement global sharecropping programs where governments who can afford advanced agriculture but have no land start growing in regions that have land but no finances. Abide by fair and generous quid pro quo or else you'll have lots of volunteer soldiers ruin your investment and possibly invade your ass. Abort the biofuel movement until the food crisis has an end in sight. Quit fertilizing corn crops with nitrogen that destroys the fish market when the run-off hits the oceans.
__________________

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Reply With Quote
  #7  
mburbank mburbank is offline
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: right behind you
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:38 AM       
Being a white, (lower) middle class American is like being in the last car on the biggest roller coaster ever and as you crest the rise you can see that miles and miles away it runs straight into a sausage maker.


The view is tremendous.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Geggy Geggy is offline
say what now?
Geggy's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Peebody
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:52 AM       
hey guys remember this thread

http://www.i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19960
Reply With Quote
  #9  
AChimp AChimp is offline
Resident Chimp
AChimp's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Jungles of Borneo
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:14 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank View Post
Being a white, (lower) middle class American is like being in the last car on the biggest roller coaster ever and as you crest the rise you can see that miles and miles away it runs straight into a sausage maker.


The view is tremendous.
Put your hands in the air! :D
Reply With Quote
  #10  
blackwar12 blackwar12 is offline
Member
blackwar12's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: ontario
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 05:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp View Post
The recession will continue as long as the government keeps trying to prevent it from happening. It's just prolonging the problem and will make things worse in the long run.

It might come as a surprise to some, but stupid people are incapable of managing their finances and there are a lot of stupid people. It just so happens that the stupid people also happen to be the most vocal about how it's not their fault that they're stupid and point fingers elsewhere.

The banks need to crank the interest rate UP and let everyone who's going to go bankrupt or lose their home face the consequences of their past decisions. If you're uneducated or have no employable skills and only make $25,000 a year, no, you should NOT be living in a $350,000 house just because the bank gives you a "no-down-payment, 2% interest for the first two years" mortgage.
It's funny because banks around here(Alberta) and in Ontario(so far) check just about every single aspect of your financial situation before you can get a loan from them, and I've heard that there are minimum wage mcdonalds employees in the U.S, that are getting mortgages, and having them default, which leads to reposession, and screwing out of the bank thousands of dollars.

The only way the financial situation would ever be fixed, is if the American banks take a lesson or two from the Canadian banks, and check assets more, as well as stop having politicians throw your money around just to cover up the fact that it's the american people's fault. Somehow, I just don't see that happening, and they'll be knocking at Canada's doorstep just to stay afloat.

lets just hope China doesn't call in their debt, or the United States is finished.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
D*O*L*E D*O*L*E is offline
shitting crikey
D*O*L*E's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 08:38 PM       
December: Yes Mr dole, you can sell your house for about 15 grand more than you paid for it and buyers will be slaughtering each other just to get a look in.
March: Your buyers are bankrupt and can't even afford the toilet paper to mop up their tears of despair and you need to drop your price by at least twenty grand before you have a hope in hell of selling your place.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Harry Paget Flashman Harry Paget Flashman is offline
Forum Virgin
Harry Paget Flashman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 12:14 AM       
By saying "it would begin to climb downward for a very, very long time" you have already put a good spin on it, Sethomas. Better than "plunges", "spirals down the porcelain bowl with a big 'ka-Whoosh!'" or "plummets like a fat stockbroker off the 35th floor" which are worse. I remember some tough times in the 70's where cutting back on hygiene, eating neighborhood pets and grazing the outdoor bistros for pizza crust sustained many a Berkeleyite.

Everyone should have a shoe box full of Krugerrands in the closet to get through the hard times. It's just prudent planning.
__________________
“Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. Nonviolence is fine as long as it works." - Malcolm X
Reply With Quote
  #13  
El Blanco El Blanco is offline
Mocker
El Blanco's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 07:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp View Post
Well now you're trying to make the free market a fair market!
You'd be right, except you're wrong.

A big part of the problem was the government pushing lending companies to offer loans to people that couldn't afford them. Because, it was apparently wrong that these companies refused to lend money to people who had real hope of paying it back.
__________________
according to my mongoose, anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
davinxtk davinxtk is offline
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Up.
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:32 AM       
doublepost, i blame the board for telling me i wasn't logged in, then making me wait 30 seconds to try and post
__________________
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Reply With Quote
  #15  
davinxtk davinxtk is offline
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Up.
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:40 AM       
has it occurred to anyone that these credit crises aren't really rooted in credit at all?

i mean, they keep saying that sub-prime mortgages failed because they never should have been signed in the first place-- but doesn't that argument seem spurious, considering that it's in a bank's best interest to get effing paid? they're saying that car loans are defaulting because they were extended to people who couldn't afford them -- yet when i got my jetta in '06 i had to submit pay stubs from a job i had for more than two years that showed that i could clearly afford the car in addition to my rent and incidentals. that's not a faulty asset check, and i really am living close to the poverty line (and for the record i'm still making my car payments on time.)

i honestly believe that we'll find out in short order that these crises are more rooted in the fact that wages have been almost stagnant for the past ten years or more, when the cost of living has been steadily climbing due largely to fuel prices and corporate greed.

i mean how can consumer spending, employment, and gdp all be on the decline and at the same time have posted profits be in the rise? that, combined with stagnant wages, should make it clear that at least on some level these credit crises are being caused by those who directly benefit from profits (executives, investors, bankers, etc) literally choking the life out of the people who are supposed to be lifeblood of the economy (worker consumers).


i make this post during the sixth hour of my third job. i'm able to keep myself afloat because i solve problems and don't sleep. people should be able to work an honest 40 hours a week and have a car and a home and a television and not worry about putting food on their table or how they're going to feed their kid when they finally knock their girlfriend up. instead i'm pulling something more like 75-80 and scraping by, while some douchebag crunches numbers with just a day job, making a six-figure salary and having three weeks paid vacation a year.

i don't even have fucking health insurance, and i live in a state where it's required by law and supposedly "affordable."

before this turns into my blog i'll post it and do my security rounds, but i find AChimp's comment about being "uneducated" and having no "employable skills" surprisingly ignorant for him. employers need to own up to the fact that if someone puts in 40 hours a week they need to have more than $25,000 a year coming to them. unfortunately the way this economy is structured it will have to start with corporations (good fucking luck, right?) and perhaps complimenting the minimum wage with a maximum disparity.

and now i not only sound like a rambling loser but a filthy red.

have at, boys.
__________________
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Sleazeappeal Sleazeappeal is offline
Ms. Sorghum Molasses '82
Sleazeappeal's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM       

"It's only a model."
__________________
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Fathom Zero Fathom Zero is offline
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: cancer
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:55 PM       
UGH.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixby Phillips View Post
Oh god fathom zero, you are revealing yourself to be completely awful
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Fat_Hippo Fat_Hippo is offline
Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Switzerland
Old May 17th, 2008, 04:09 AM       
Making Monty Python references just because you can doesn't make you cool, Sleazeappeal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grislygus View Post
the Swiss are not afraid to beat their women with oversized novelty chocolate bars
He speaks truth!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Nick Nick is offline
pickled
Nick's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bama
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:01 PM       
It'd be better if morons would stop buying brand fucking new cars, and just settle for a normal, used car. $1,500 OR $350,000?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Fathom Zero Fathom Zero is offline
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: cancer
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM       
Then there would never be any new cars. What will happen when all the new ones break down? What innovation? What advancements?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixby Phillips View Post
Oh god fathom zero, you are revealing yourself to be completely awful
Reply With Quote
  #21  
El Blanco El Blanco is offline
Mocker
El Blanco's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:41 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It'd be better if morons would stop buying brand fucking new cars, and just settle for a normal, used car. $1,500 OR $350,000?
So there would be fewer cars produced and the used car market can sky rocket? Not to mention the damage this does to an already floundering automotive industry.
__________________
according to my mongoose, anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
davinxtk davinxtk is offline
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Up.
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:32 AM       
__________________
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

   


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.


© 2008 I-Mockery.com
Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.