Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What would lead you to fight in a war?
I would fight in any war, anywhere 2 5.71%
I would fight in a war if it was against a justifiable enemy 9 25.71%
I would fight in a war if it was being fought in my country against an invader 14 40.00%
I would never fight in a war 4 11.43%
Other (please explain) 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 10:18 PM       
I think it means you don't get signed up at all, but you are required to do some kind of non-military service, like join the peace corps (my dad went to Ethiopia during Vietnam) or the Red Cross or whatever.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 10:38 PM       
Pern hit it right on the nose. I would sooner join the Peace Corps than fight in the war in Iraq.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 11:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkgrrrlie10
other:

For those of us coming from a family which has a lot of military in it and having alot of friends in the military you fight a war if you are enlisted and called up. Your job is to be a soldier whether you want to be fighting against another or not. It's not an intellectual exercise. There is a commander in chief and you go when called. It's your job. You may not agree with why, but that's not your place.
Obviously she's never heard of being a "conscienious (sp?) objector".
Obviously you don't read the whole thread before writing, genius.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 11:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perndog
I think it means you don't get signed up at all, but you are required to do some kind of non-military service, like join the peace corps (my dad went to Ethiopia during Vietnam) or the Red Cross or whatever.
thats an alternative to a draft, but its not being a CO. The military will assign an objector to a non-combat role. I believe its an official title with the pentagon.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 11:20 PM       

If it's a draft you're talking about now, you are lucky if you are one of the minority that they decide to let choose their post. I'm sure that everyone throughout history who has gotten conscripted has been concientious objector, otherwise they would have volunteered. Doesn't stop them from being assigned cannon fodder duty.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 11:54 PM       
Blanco: I just did a little homework, and I discovered that there are different kinds of COs as recognized by the military and the Selective Service act.

A plain old CO is one who objects to military service of all forms and will be required to perform civilian service (like my father) if his draft number is called.

A noncombatant CO is one who doesn't mind the military but doesn't like killing, and he will be assigned a noncombat role in the military.

A selective CO is one who doesn't like certain kinds of tactics or weaponry, and he will be assigned to a particular military unit based on his objection.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 11:57 PM       
You don't get "cannon fodder duty" if you're approved....
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:15 AM       
Just to clarify... I meant what would make you enlist whilst a war was happening?
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 04:04 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkgrrrlie10
other:

For those of us coming from a family which has a lot of military in it and having alot of friends in the military you fight a war if you are enlisted and called up. Your job is to be a soldier whether you want to be fighting against another or not. It's not an intellectual exercise. There is a commander in chief and you go when called. It's your job. You may not agree with why, but that's not your place.
That's one of the reasons I didn't sign up for another term. Naively, I thought that I would fight for my country because I thought that our country wouldn't think of fighting a country without justification or those who directly threatned our way of living. When I enlisted and I saw that we have maps of countries, points of contact in those countries, intelligence agents to help amend existing plans, continual development of contingency plans, ports and air strips that we knew we were going to use WHEN the need arose, ect. Maybe I'm not explaining this right as far as the mindset goes. Something like this, I guess: "Whoever you are, we know we can kick your ass. We, in fact, have definitive, well thought out, and complex plans to kick your ass so just step one foot out of line, have some resource we need, or serve some political agenda and we WILL do it." The thing is, the person making those decisions doesn't necessarily have to have any training in geopolitical relations or military leadership. He is just the trigger man, the guy with the say-so. Hell you, apparently, don't even need the approval of congress anymore ... and that's some scary shit. Just sayin'

Wherever you go, there you are.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 04:17 PM       
Every country has plans like that. I'm sure there's even well thought-out plans for invading the U.S. somewhere that would work. :/
Mocker

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 04:30 PM       
I mean every country and down to the minute detail. I won't get into detail but I saw our invasion maps, plans, operations orders, unit allocation and strength reports, ect for Haiti several months before I ever saw there WAS a problem in the broadcast news or through any government administrative source.

Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:11 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
Every country has plans like that.
What's the bet most of the Pacific nations don't have such plans?
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychaos
...I saw our invasion maps, plans, operations orders, unit allocation and strength reports, ect for Haiti several months before I ever saw there WAS a problem in the broadcast news...
...but isn't being prepared a good thing?
Mocker
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychaos
I mean every country and down to the minute detail. I won't get into detail but I saw our invasion maps, plans, operations orders, unit allocation and strength reports, ect for Haiti several months before I ever saw there WAS a problem in the broadcast news or through any government administrative source.
Ya, every major military does that. ITs more an acedemic excersice than anything else. Remember a few years back when the LA Times "broke" the news about invasion plans of China? Military officials basically gave a "ya, so?" kind of response. England even has plans to invade us.

And you know what? I like the idea that we have such detaile dplans. Just in case. You think prior to 9-11 you would have thought we had reason to invade Afghanistan?

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:26 PM       
jamaica???
Mocker
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:06 AM       
Ya, mon, they be developing dat der Atomic Bong.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:08 AM       
No, she went of her own accord.

:drunk
ostcount
Näyttelijäbotti!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:10 AM       
damn, I'm too slow.

ostcount
Mocker

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 05:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Ya, every major military does that. ITs more an acedemic excersice than anything else.
I don't think it's as "acadaemic" as you might think. These types of plans are up to the minute and backed up by satellite, aircraft recon, on-site intelligence, ect. When I was at Fort Bragg, I was part of an 110% allocated unit. That means that we were over-allocated in terms of soldiers, equipment, ammunition, ect. The purpose of that is, in case we had to deploy, we didn't have to wait for anyone on leave, training elsewhere, ect. We also didn't have to worry whether we had enough resources at any given time. We were constantly updating our personnel files, wills, medical records, shots, finances ect. so that kind of administrative thing wouldn't hold us up when we're ready to move. Adding to that, we alway had our duffels more than half-packed and just had to throw in a few last things when the time came. Adding all this up, this leads to a unit that supposed to be ready to go (with all the last kisses) within a 24-36 hour window ... and we were just the average GIs. Some of the specialty units had an even narrower window. If you knew all the logistics involved, I think that you might be a little impressed. I'm not trying to over-exaggerate or pump up the Army image (I could care less, really). I'm just trying to give an accurate portrayal. While we do train overseas, there is a purpose ... that purpose being to be able to move quickly in a "real world" sense and not an "academic" sense.

Mocker
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 05:06 PM       
I don't get it. We are supposed to have the most advanced, powerful military in the world. That is how things should be handled.
mesobe is probably a spambot
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 03:38 PM       
id fight if someone invaded my country over greed and money. Even though its not the individual US soldiers fault that they are fighting in Iraq and it sucks that *anyone* is dying, I hope those Iraqis defend themeslves vigorously. They have every right and reason to.

EDIT: even if my own country did such a stupid thing as to invade another country for selfish reasons, Id throw my patriotism aside and stick to my thoughts.
Mocker

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 04:42 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesobe
EDIT: even if my own country did such a stupid thing as to invade another country for selfish reasons, Id throw my patriotism aside and stick to my thoughts.
If you were already enlisted, you wouldn't have much of a choice. Well, assuming your unit had that geographical area of responsibility and you were in a combat arms unit (or one that supports a combat unit). Actually, only a small percentage of those serving during a conflict ever see combat. Theoretically, it is possible to serve a 20-year career in the military and to never have served in any conflict. It happens all the time.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 11:21 PM        Yeah
I would fight in a war if they gave me lots of cool shit to blow up. That would be cool.

Kelly,
I don't know when you got out but I can assure you that the days of doing 20 without being involved somewhere are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. And I'm not talking about silly nonsense like Desert Fox or Allied Force. For the first time in 30+ years we're likely to have an entire generation of combat veterans. Shooters per se.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:31 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
I'm sure there's even well thought-out plans for invading the U.S. somewhere that would work. :/
There aren't. There isn't. It couldn't happen, AChimp.

We not only have the advantage that our extremely well-trained and well-funded military offers us, but also the advantage of large amounts of civilians who want to maintain their way of life. In a heartbeat there would be private militias on the move, the army and the national guard would be fucking everywhere, and the very worst anyone could hope to cause is widespread factioning and seperation. Our country is far too large, both in land area and population; without mentioning that the only points of entry that would be of any use would be the Canadian or Mexican borders. The coastlines are far too densely populated, any sort of invasion would result in barbaric displays of collateral damage.

Assassinate leaders, blow up strategic equipment/buildings, yes, these are all possible inside the US. Actually take the country over by means of an invasion force?

You would need the support of every armed force on the planet.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Mocker

Old May 1st, 2004, 11:43 AM        Re: Yeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsux
Kelly,
I don't know when you got out but I can assure you that the days of doing 20 without being involved somewhere are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. And I'm not talking about silly nonsense like Desert Fox or Allied Force. For the first time in 30+ years we're likely to have an entire generation of combat veterans. Shooters per se.
I agree that it'd be a rare event but it's still theoretically possible if you have certain job skills that keep you outside the area of combat arms. Every time that you come up on orders, it's kind of like a roll of the dice depending on where UPERCEN (army's human resource department) thinks it needs your job skill at that time ... unless you have "station of choice" through some kind of incentive in your re-enlistment contract. That being said, if you really want to make the military a career, all the neat little ribbons and medals sure look good when it comes time for the military board to review your records for promotion and combat is a quick way to get them.