Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 08:53 AM        Recent Game Reviews?
Instead of just having classic games, why not also include the more recent consoles and PC games?
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 04:02 PM       
I'm not trying to be sarcastic when I say this so don't take this as such:

It seems that the I-Mockery crew, whether they like the newer games or not, appreciate and love the classics that much more than anything recent. I mean, didn't we all grow up with them? It's easier to like something that has a lot of nostalgia value attached to it.

I could be wrong, I'm just guessing...
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 04:15 PM       
As a counterpoint: I think many of the game reviews (the competent ones), are playing these games for the first time or first time in years before reviewing them. I could be wrong, but still. There may be nostalgia involved, but it's not like I'm saying "review only current games." I'm just asking why is it that it's only classic games.
Asspunch McGruf
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 05:15 PM       
I was just guessing as to why RoG and crew have it set up that way. Maybe RoG and crew like the classics more than the recent games, maybe they are only allowing classics to show appreciation, maybe they honestly think that classics are the only ones worth playing.

Of course, none of this is set in stone. I'm just saying as a classic cheeseball myself, these would most likely be the reasons I'd only do classic reviews.

End note: Perhaps, ultimately, classics are easier to find on the web and in old stores. They come across as more easily accessible, especially to the nostalgic and the 80s child in general, and that just makes them SEEM more fun to review. Case in point: If you were trying to fill up a website, would you want 500 ROM reviews (because ROMs are easily found) or 20 recent reviews (because ISOs are already a lot of trouble, people will only spend money on what's popular so those reviews would get tired quickly, and if someone actually bought these games, assuming their parents' last names aren't Gates, they can only afford so many a month, leading of course to less reviews.)

This doesn't really totally apply because the option is there to include all reviews of all systems, but I think it boiled down to a temporary choice (after all, I've never seen RoG or anyone say they would NEVER review PS games or such on the main site). I think maybe it was a choice to include just one and not the other for the time being.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 05:29 PM       
A lot of I-Mockery's content seems to be dedications to the 80's. I assume that all video game-related content within the site is aimed at the classics so that nobody should ever forget about it. It would sort of defeat the purpose if newer generation consoles were spotlighted within the site. :/

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Asspunch McGruf
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 06:08 PM       
You could apply that to the lives of most of us, Esuohlim. I can assume you were a child of the 80s too, right? And with the way things are nowadays, don't you at least KIND of miss the 80s? Seems like the same deal. I like the video games and stuff of today reasonably well, but well, the 80s were like our GOLDEN age. Does this make any sense?
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 03:44 PM       
Heh, GOLDEN age.
The Unseen is probably a spambot
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 03:03 PM       
WEll, RoG does have a gamecube so he cant think theyre not worth playing
Asspunch McGruf
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 06:45 PM       
RoG has a Gamecube?!? BLASHPEMY!!!11
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:57 PM       
Indeed I do have a Gamecube and it r0x. I can't wait to get the gameboy advance adapter for it later this year, that will simply rule... being able to play every gameboy game on the big screen.

As for featuring new games... we do feature more recent stuff here 'n there... I've even got the Postal 2 people sending me some copies of the game so I can feature it and do another big contest! But as for a new games review site, there aren't any plans for it. Then again, I'm considering the possibility of starting a brand new gaming-only web site in the future
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 08:31 PM       
Well, I'm glad you're happy with your Gamecuse, and the $500 dollars you're going to spend for your GBA SP, Adapter, Olsen Twins Games, eReader, game cards of games you already have the roms for on your computer, and special Nintendo Screwed You Club Card.

I didn't mean a whole new section. I just meant opening up the Classic Game Review section to just be... Game Review Section. But hey, whatever works for you. I sure won't mind not seeing 5 reviews for BMX XXX (all with straight 10s, mind you).
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 06:32 AM       
I have a gamecube and it kicks ass but i just dont spend all my money on shit like e-readers and cables. Fuck that, Xbox has a cable to connect 4 xboxs toghether
1) why the fuck would you have three friends each bring over their xboxs
2)how fucking confusing would it be to have 16 player split screen?
Pickled Patriarch
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 01:47 PM       
1) I got my GameCube for free.

2) I don't mind supporting classic games that I really enjoyed.

3) I can always get one of those link-drives and copy any GBA rom to it and play 'em on my TV.

4) Gamecube has some other games that are damned good. I've still gotta find the time to go through Resident Evil.

5) X-Box bores the shit out of me. If I was gonna get another system, I'd get a PS2 or just wait for PS3.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 01:53 PM       
ugh. wait for the ps3. the ps2 is getting along in its years and i think the ps3 at this point is only a year and a half away.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:03 PM       
I wouldn't buy a ps2 anyway, even if I had the money. I'm much more interested in computer games than console games. Or at the very least, I'd rather buy games for my old consoles (SNES, 3D0, Dreamcast, etc.) The only reason I have a Gamecube is because I got it for free from work. Otherwise, I wouldn't own any of the latest consoles.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 03:29 PM       
Get Phantasy Star online for Gamecube and get an online adapter
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 04:55 PM       
Phantasy star is really good but id ahte to buy the
Modem- 40$
Service- 60$
PSO- 50$
A year of PSO- 120$

270$ just for this one game since its the only online one for gamecube now