Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Resident Lurker
DuFresne is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 08:35 PM        NIU Shooting
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/14/uni...ing/index.html

Quote:
DEKALB, Illinois (CNN) -- A gunman dressed in black walked from behind a curtain at the front of a large lecture hall Thursday at Northern Illinois University and shot 22 people, four fatally, then killed himself, authorities said.

Rescue workers carry a victim from Cole Hall Thursday after a gunman shot 22 people during a geology class.

Four of the wounded were in critical condition, eight in stable condition; and six in fair to good condition, a hospital Web site said.
The shooting occurred shortly after 3 p.m. (4 p.m. ET) in Cole Hall. The class runs from 2 p.m. until 3:15 p.m., University President John Peters said.
"It started and it stopped very quickly," said Police Chief Donald Grady. The gunman, whose identity has not been revealed publicly, was not a student at the NIU campus in DeKalb, west of Chicago, but "may have been a student somewhere else."
Police do not have an apparent motive now, Grady said.
Kevin McEnery said he was in the classroom when a man dressed in a black shirt, dark pants and black hat burst in carrying a shotgun.
"He just kicked the door open, just started shooting," said McEnery, who was in the class at the time. "All I really heard was just people screaming, yelling get out. ... close to 30 shots were fired." Watch McEnery describe the chaos at the scene »
There are about 162 registered students in the class, which met in a large lecture hall.
"Witnesses say someone dressed in black came out from behind a screen in the front of the classroom and opened fire with a shotgun," Peters said.
The gunman fired from a stage at the front of the classroom, Grady said.
At 3:03, NIU police responded and, four minutes later, the campus was ordered into "a lockdown situation," he said.
At 3:20, an all-campus alert went out via the campus Web site, e-mail, voice mail, the campus crisis hotline, the news media and various alarm systems, he said.
"The message basically was: There's a gunman on campus, stay where you are, make yourself as safe as possible," he said.
Rosie Moroni, a student at the school, told CNN she was outside Cole Hall near the King Commons at 2:30 p.m. (3:30 p.m. ET) when she heard shots coming from the classroom she had intended to enter.
The shot was followed by "a lot of people screaming," then people ran out the doors yelling, "He's got a gun, call 9-1-1," she said.
"It was complete chaos ... it's very scary here right now."
By 4 p.m. police had swept the area "and determined there was only one gunman" and that he was dead.
Grady said the gunman used three guns during his rampage -- a shotgun, a Glock and a small-caliber handgun -- and was still on the stage when he turned one of the guns on himself. The small-caliber handgun has not been recovered, he said. He said the shooter started with a shotgun, then switched to a pistol.
It appears that he acted alone, said Grady.
Let the gun control and video game violence flame wars commence!

Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 08:43 PM       
Four dead & 18 wounded? Pffft! Not the worst, but there are way better tallies. I hope the next one does a better job of it.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:14 AM       
Jesus Christ, another one?
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:49 AM       
I would be pretty annoyed if this happened to me.

I'd be all BUDDY, COME ON. Trying to go to school here.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 01:11 AM       
last week when someone commented on noise from the hallway, my teacher said that it's probably some disgruntled student with a gun. There was no way ANYONE would have gotten away with making that joke when I was in high school . Pretty fucked up how many of these things have occurred though.

That was very funny. Well done.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:47 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuFresne View Post
Let the gun control and video game violence flame wars commence!
I blame valentine's day. Ban the holiday already.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 11:52 AM       
On the plus side, students in that class can skip out for a while and claim they're terrified a gunman will jump out from behind the curtain.

I once took a chemistry class where I could've used an excuse like that.

Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggy View Post
I blame valentine's day. Ban the holiday already.

Psh, like there's any record of violence on Valentine's day.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:28 PM       
Four of his five death victims were female, if I recall. I do wonder if V day has any bearing on the motive.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 06:31 AM       
Or if women are just really weak to bullets.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 07:08 AM       
i hear they're more resistant to fire and lightning, though
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 04:32 PM       
You can try talking to your DM about crafting a cold iron sword to deal with them