Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Art
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 02:37 AM        Complete Shot character illustration
I'm doing a background image for a song of mine that's going into a few games. There'll be a lot more to the finished picture, but this is the character that will be featured in it.

Larger version available here.

He'll has a gun now. Suggestions what to put in the other hand are welcome. I'm thinking a satchel on the back with a cord held in the other hand.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:48 AM       
Ok the style works throughout but I'm not too sure about the width of the outline changing from bit to bit. I think you should either work with the fat outline of the hair applied throughout, or de-emphasize the outlines a bit by using variable widths, but making them all a bit closer to the one used on the right (his) hand. The curving's good throughout. I think you gave him too much of an upper leg on the bent leg there and the fist coming out way has some curve issues (namely on the thumb and where the paw connects to it also)

I suggest a stylish two-shade to be used on this. Maybe a blue soft shadow, to be applied in proper anime glossy style.

Otherwise, this is good. The signs on the shoes are very very thin and detailed, which does not work for this image. You need to convey detail without actually putting in there, to pull off this kind of stylization. Think of how you'd see said signs, if you blurred your eyes and made out only generic shapes. Don't equate miniscule detail with thin outlines.

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:09 AM       
Thanks, Helm. I was seriously considering calming down the range of line thicknesses anyway, in addition to thickening everything a bit. The right hand looks a little odd (most of the detail is omitted) because a gun is going to cover up most of that appendage. The leg looks weird to me in general, like it's shortening him a bit.

I agree on the shading method, but wouldn't a soft blue conflict with the colors already in the clothing (white/blues)? Also, what do you mean by glossy style?

I've removed the outlines on the Vs. And thanks for the tips on cartoonization. :>
Mocker

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:11 AM       
if you make an alpha layer and set it to something like 40% and it's a heavy blue, where it meets red it'll make a nice muted purple and so on so forth I think blue will suit this. And by glossy I mean vectory flashy wow golly I don't know what I ment.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:54 AM       
I agree with Helm, and I would also suggest a different approach when it comes to the hair and construction of the face. The way stuff is composed now, it kinda looks like you had a Playmo wig and had to fit a face around and into it. I'd recommend you try to find a way to have his hair define and bring out his face. I'm not really sure how to describe what I mean more clearly, but look at Mickey Mouse post-1950. He has very simple and appealing forms, and the black area of his head fits nicely around his facial features (I know I sound like a furry) and emphasize them. It's especially important that the eyes are well-defined and aren't obsctructed. I'd also recommend you put some work into the thigh-waist-transistion.

But good work. The perspective on the arm closest to the screen is very nice, and works very well with the simplified forms, and the lack of balance in detail will be fixed with a stripe down the pants.

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 08:51 AM       
Just updated it with a shaded version, with a few other edits and extras. Let me know what y'all think now.

Pjalne, you have a point, but I'm trying to exaggerate the frontal points on the hair, and I don't know how I could do that while keeping things copasetic(?) with the face.
Mocker
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 09:02 AM       
One way would be to attack it from the other side and simplify the eyes the way you did in your avatar. But then you'd suddenly have a pretty limited expression range. But seriously, I'm nitpicking.

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 09:18 AM       
Updated it again, taking Helm's advice on the strokes, and adjusting the skin tone closer to the one in my avi ;>

Yeah, I needed to have more a cool, edgy look for this, and I didn't feel that could be accurately conveyed with the slot-eye look. BTW, those are pretty much exact replicas of my shoes ;D

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 10:43 AM       
Friend of mine just pointed out that I forgot to draw the ears. Duh.

So that'll happen later.
Mocker

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 10:50 AM       
The slot eyes can do everything these eyes can do. I suggest you try it out and see. But not on this image, it's pretty badass as it is.

subterfuge is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 11:50 AM       
It's definitely cool. I would make the outlines on the hand and hair come to sharp points instead of blunt ends. That's about it for changes. Otherwise, it's great. I love vector art

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 11:54 AM       
I agree. I'll work on pointy-ing up the bits of hair that aren't pointy later, but the right hand's going to be mostly covered up by a pistola, so there isn't much work put into it to begin with.

* Can you give me some contact information for yourself? I liked a couple of your illustrations and would like to hire you in the near future for a few pieces if you don't mind.
Mocker
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:59 AM       
The ears help a lot.
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:06 AM       
They look like fortune cookies.

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:09 AM       
guns are hard as shit to draw :<

any tips?
Pickleman's Uncle
Poxpower is probably a spambot
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 10:52 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
guns are hard as shit to draw :<

any tips?
http://polykarbon.com/tutorials/guns/pistol.htm

Only place I know. Just remember that its not a "L" shape, the handle forms an obtuse angle with the rest of the gun, not a right angle, and treat the whole thing as a 3d object ( i.e. if you can see under the handle, then you have to be able to see under the canon and under the trigger etc.), or else it'll look weird.
Fitting hands in there is the callenge IMO :O Nothing better than to google some pics for that.

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 11:01 AM       
Thanks Pox, that actually helped a lot.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 01:15 PM       
for some reason i think a gray suitcase would look cool in his free hand
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 04:58 PM       
Nice work with the gun chojin. Drawing a gun really effed me up for my art final

Is the foot suppose to be bending away from the viewer because those back heel things are facing the viewer so it kinda look like tha both the feet are pointed away and the character is making like a 180.

The color choice was pretty good because the under shirt matches the gun with a smokey color, which is contrasted by the bright colors of the clothes and hair.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:25 PM       
Really good shading and colour choice, but the shoes confuse me... I think that they should be made the same size, or something should be added to clarify whether he's running or flying through the air.

The gun is cool.

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:51 PM       
Well, there's gonna be more to the picture. This is just the character that will be in the final piece. The shoes are supposed to be facing toward the back a bit, while the head is facing forward and the torso is facing the side, so he's like twisting a lot. I tend to do extreme poses like this a lot for some reason :<

An I agree, the left foot (the one that's further away) should be a bit smaller.

This is the gun I based it off of:

Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 09:02 PM       
There's a gun in that picture? I don't see it...

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 09:06 PM       
I put a cutout filter on it in photoshop to remove the detail so I could draw a more basic version of it :o
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 10:53 AM       
I don't know if its necessary or helpful but maybe ad some wrinkle or tension of some sort around the torso to show the extreme turning around that's going on.
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 04:14 PM       
Can i Be Mr. Blue, screw?