Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:46 AM        Give Trials To Guantanamo Inmates
"HABEAS CORPUS: The US Justice Department has asked judges to dismiss cases involving at least 300 prisoners at Guantanamo Bay who are challenging their detentions."

I feel it is not proper for Pres. Bush to do it this way at all -- I am a conservative and generally back conservative principles, but there is a distinct problem with this: we have taken them out of the Justice system in many ways and taken all transparency out of the process with secret tribunals.

Something Republicans should agree with:
(1) To avoid totalitarianism, a government must let people see what they are doing.
(2) To uphold the ideals of the Republic and what our forefathers penned, we must recognize that all men are created equal and endowed with certain inalienable rights
(3) To be successful in our war and teach the Middle East democracy, we must insure completely transparent and appropriate justice process.

So I truly am a bit disturbed by it, because there are people who entered Guantanamo as 16-17 year old no names in the al-Qaeda organization, that have now spent what should be the best years of their lives sitting in a 6 foot by 9 foot cell.

Why?

Because they were zealous youths who, having no real education other than the Koran and having no concept that has not been tainted by the Taliban regime or other super-religious institutions, decided to join up and fight. Now, because they bore witness to the sins of their leaders, they are being held without opportunity, wasting away in these cells...

Certainly, there should be appropriate jail sentences and certainly there are some who should be executed after a trial, but there are others who are nothing more than scared kids.

You could have easily come out of an Afghanistani woman and ended up overzealous and preached to your entire life as such, and brainwashed by a local regime come to view characters as ibn Laden as heroes.

Furthermore, it is just a situation where we need to find some resolution to the issues that we faced, and to do that, we cannot keep men around in cages for 20 years waiting military tribunals that are questionable at best.