Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Art
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 04:55 PM        h3lpplzkthx
Yeah, so I've been toying with the idea of drawing a comic for like, ever, but I could never draw people very well at all. I've been trying to improve lately, and after using Spectre's art as a model, I've got the basic shapes and proportions of the human body down pretty well. Buuuuuuuuuuut, I still can't draw clothes or hair or other features to save my life, and I was wondering what books or websites I could look at that would help me.

I've tried to find some how to books on my own, but the big flashy drawings on the covers are really really intimidating.
Seņor Citizen
Location: On the Xbox PWNing experts on Halo 2 and awaiting Halo 3
That Man is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:01 PM       
Search on google
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:04 PM       
Any bookstore carries How to Draw Comics books that can usually be pretty helpful. Avoid How to Draw Manga/Anime books though, because those are full of shit aside from being anime. Unless you want your characters to have Yu-Gi-Oh clothes.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Man
Search on google
OH THAT'S A GREAT IDEA WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT WOW THAT MAN YOU SURE ARE GREAT

Code:
ok as much as I love pretending that man is great can I PLEASE tell him how much he sucks so he'll shut up and we can move on with our lives
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:08 PM       
Code:
it's too early to break ranks stay frosty until evac arrives
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:10 PM       
Code:
ok I guess I'll just have to bite down and endure the pain excruciating as it is, jeez sometimes I can't believe the shit I do for you guys
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
Avoid How to Draw Manga/Anime books though, because those are full of shit aside from being anime. Unless you want your characters to have Yu-Gi-Oh clothes.
I'm actually shooting for a quasi-anime look in the comic, so I'll probably check out one of those. :/
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 03:49 PM       
No. You can't start off with a style right away. You must first know the basics.

Try getting some Andrew Loomis books and maybe that book by Will Eisner about drawing comics.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 05:10 PM       
Anime heads are generally made with pentagons and there are some other key differences, but your proportions will be fucked and you'll make some seriously ridiculous shit unless you understand the basics, yes. Get a basic drawing book or take some classes. If you're really interested in this stuff, classes would be best as you'd learn all about perspective and how to draw things other than characters as well (most online artists can't do backgrounds at all).
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 05:54 PM       
No, I'm great at drawing backgrounds and objects and whatnot and have done a lot in the past, but I got bored of it a few months ago when I thought up (read: totally stole) an OK premise for a comic.

And yeah, I figured out how to draw anime heads last night when I realized that they all have the same basic shape. Learning to draw it was kind of a bitch, but I've gotten it down well enough to the point that I can draw a head complete with hair and a face in about 5 minutes. I've drawn a bunch of different expressions and stuff, then I made a 6-panel comic making fun of how awful I am at drawing bodies.
autistic licence
sloth is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 06:05 PM       
Anime is lazy

Seriously, practise drawing facial expressions from different angles, different body poses and that - yawning and stretching, twisting around, that kind of business. You can tell from Spectre's stuff that he has, because people who've just copied anime have fuckall clue how to draw dynamically. Also, profile and portrait faces are great and all, but make for really dull art. I've got an irrepressible erection for all things Wayshak - yeah I know, it's not a recommend your favourite artists thread but he's got some nuts stuff that I certainly learnt a lot from. And his retro section is great for reminding yourself everyone was shit at some point.

If you really want to get stuck into this definitely work your way up to an individual style, not that thyroid bollocks. And yeah, post your comic.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:09 PM       
Once I can draw better I'm going to try and develop a style, but until then it's generic crap for me!

Spectre: I checked out Figure Drawing for all it's Worth from my local library and I'm gonna look at it in depth tonight when I get back from Silent Hill :o

I would've also gotten the one about drawing the head and hands, but they didn't have it
noob 4eva
maggiekarp is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:57 PM       
Practice like a motherfucker and get tips from people who know what they're doing

Anime style isn't a bad thing, but apparantly it makes your stuff shitty, I guess.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:59 PM       
no you got that backwards, it makes your shit stuffy
noob 4eva
maggiekarp is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:17 PM