Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:26 PM        Computer fan running hard...
My computer fan is always running fairly loudly these days. First off, it's an Antec Sonata case, so it's supposed to be really quiet, but this fan is always running loudly. Furthermore, if I open a program like photoshop or even outlook, it runs extra hard to the point that I swear the thing would lift off into the air and fly away if it ran any harder. :o

Any ideas as to what could be causing it to run so hard? I mean, I understand the need to run a little harder, but it seriously sounds ridiculous sometimes.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 07:15 PM       
It probably either needs to replaced or cleaned. Fans go bad after a while, I had an old fan problem that caused my computer to overheat and I lost everything directly connected to the power supply. If you've had it for over three years I'd really reccomend replacing it.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 07:52 AM       
Yeah the bearings might've gone. Probably needs replacing.
Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 07:40 PM       
I agree with MetalMilitia.

Noise means friction, which usually means bearings in a fan.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 03:56 AM       
Ok thanks for the advice. Now a follow-up question...

Which of these fans should I buy as a replacement?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

(I'm assuming an Antec fan is the way to go since this is an Antec Sonata case 'n all and it's been real quiet up until now, but if there's another one I should look into, lemme know. And no, I don't care about the LED light thing, so that's not an issue. I just care about keeping my computer cool and quiet)
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:16 PM       
There's more than 1 fan in your case - That antec has a fan in the power supply, a fan on the CPU, and one of those big fans from total recall on the back. The 5+ incher.

The only one that spins fast enough to make a loud noise is the CPU fan, though, and antec doesn't make those (to my knowledge). But lunch is over and I have to go, just look for CPU fans with low dB ratings for SILENCE.

And make sure none of the fan cords are getting caught in the blades, that will also produce awful noises and eventually murder the fan.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:38 PM       
Chojin makes a good point; are you sure which fan is causing the noise?
Often fans such as PSU, video card or *sometimes* CPU modify their speed based on load. I've not heard of a case fan which does this, but it could be a fancy feature of your case, idk.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:56 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
There's more than 1 fan in your case - That antec has a fan in the power supply, a fan on the CPU, and one of those big fans from total recall on the back. The 5+ incher.

The only one that spins fast enough to make a loud noise is the CPU fan, though, and antec doesn't make those (to my knowledge). But lunch is over and I have to go, just look for CPU fans with low dB ratings for SILENCE.

And make sure none of the fan cords are getting caught in the blades, that will also produce awful noises and eventually murder the fan.
Actually, I put my ear up to the back of the computer before I asked about what fan to buy... I thought it was the big 5+ incher one that's making all the noise and not the one in the power supply, but you're right, it is the CPU fan. And yeah, I had already checked to make sure no wires were touching. Are CPU fans easy to replace? I don't wanna fuck up my computer :o
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 05:29 PM       
If you aren't taking off the heat sink, then there isn't any danger at all.

I had to replace my whole fan/heatsink setup a few weeks ago because the heatsink used shitty peltier board technology to cool the CPU. Don't ever get that, the peltier board pulls 1A of current on its own, and its controller caused IRQ conflictions with my sound card.

Anyway, back to your problem... The fan is probably screwed on to the heatsink. However, it could be latched on. If it is latched on, just unlatch it and put the new one in, latch it, and you are done.

If it is screwed on then you should loosen each screw a little bit at a time. You don't want to pull out one screw without loosening the others because it can cause the fan to swing and the other screws will scrape up your heatsink.

Once you have the fan out, put the new fan on and screw it down. Usually there are not screw holes. The screws just screw in between the fins of the heatsink. Try to screw them back in where they came out.

Also, when you order your fan make sure you get the right size. It should say on the front of your fan what size it is, usually in mm.

Just match the size and then find one that has a low db rating, which means it won't make a lot of noise.

The depth of the fan usually is not an issue, just match based on width and height. But you may want to check to make sure there is enough clearance in your case for the fan if you get one that is deeper than your old fan.

There are a couple different bearing types, I would recommend either going with ball or sleeve.

Make sure the connector matches (the standard is a 3 or 4 socket connector). However, if you do get the wrong type of connector, you can always rig it up to work if you know which wire is what.

Finally, the cooling power of the fan is really in how many cubic feet of air it can move per minute. You can probably find the CFM rating on your current fan. Make sure to get a fan that can move the same CFM or better. If it moves less air, it won't cool as well.

Don't worry at all about the fan speed. If you find something that puts out good CFM and it has a low dB, then you are all set.

I think that pretty much covers everything you need to know. Let me know if you have any questions.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:11 AM       
so, in english, the answer to your question is yes. they are easy to replace, just don't stab your motherboard with a screwdriver or get thermal paste anywhere on the processor but its core (the lil black square in the center of the processor). If you do get thermal paste on the rest of the processor, it won't come off without rubbing alcohol, but it does come off easily and completely.

you can get a heatsink/fan combo for your speed processor at around 20-30 dollars. buying just the fan won't help much cause no-one sells cpu fans without heatsinks, and even if they did it probably wouldn't fit.

removing the heatsink usually involves prying the metal clips of the heatsink off of the plastic hooks of the motherboard that hold the heatsink onto the processor. most good fan/heatsink combos manufacturers realize thsi is annoying and have a lil space where you can wedge a flathead screwdriver in to add the required pressure, whether you're attaching or removing the accessory.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:35 PM       
You don't need to buy a new heatsink!

If you size the fan properly it will fit. But then again, heatsink/fan combos are rather cheap.

On some chips, the core is not just a small square in the center. The core on my pentium 4 is the almost the entire width. Thermal paste is very annoying to get out of a clothing, and don't go crazy putting it on your processor. One tiny little dot should be enough.