Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 02:04 PM        Anybody up on our Nuclear deal with India?
I don't yet fully understand our new Nuclear deal with India, and I find it pretty confusing. I get that it recognizes the reality on the ground, but doesn't it reward avoiding the Nuclear non-proliferation pact and give some incentive to acquring nukes and not being a signator? What do we get out of it? I'm asking seriously, if anyone here has ben following this story closely.

And then there's this:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called on Congress Wednesday to approve an unprecedented U.S. plan to share nuclear technology with India, saying the deal will not trigger an arms race in Asia.

Why wouldn't the US approval of India's military and civillian nuke programs cause an arms race? Doesn't a US green light make it easier for India to increase it's arsenal? And wouldn't that make Pakistan, which also has Nukes, but not the US's approval, nervous and eager to balance the scales?
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 03:21 PM       
There's a race among nations to see who can cozy up to India first. Why? Because they lead the way in innovations right now, and it's looking like they're going to dominate a global market. Strategically, on the map, it makes sense to book end the Muslim nations they're denying arms, with non-Muslim nations who are stacked.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 03:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called on Congress Wednesday to approve an unprecedented U.S. plan to share nuclear technology with India, saying the deal will not trigger an arms race in Asia.
Was she grinning and winking?